“Having stayed in 5 starts around the world, this is the most outstanding place I know.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Resort at Pelican Hill

Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel, the staff, the food, the grounds, the atmosphere, the energy, the spa, the gym, the location, the huge amount of well being activities to do, the salon, the golf, the runs, the near by beach, the rooms, the VIP status everyone gets, the amazing tranquil setting that is immaculate, the health events, the shop, the cars that drive you from your door to anywhere you want to go, the security and safeness you feel as a guest, the amazing restaurants, the take out service, the breakfast served, set up and if requested cooked in your room or villa, the posh level of privacy that allows some of the wealthiest and most famous attend, yet the down to earth feeling for any kind of guest.
It is without question the nicest place we have ever stayed and we have stayed all over the world in luxury top end places.
The service makes this place feel like you have won the lottery, the staff are like your own private butlers and the villas we had were just amazing, Woolf cookers, massive beds, space, bathrooms like a spa room, showers that you only see in show homes, state of the art everything. It is so wonderful I am staggered that a recent review slated it because they could not get through on the phone, the mind boggles as the comment that says it shows what the real service would be like is so far from reality I find the review unfair. This resort deserves the finest award there is and I know that any other guest I met their said the same, you feel like a movie star staying here and I would go back year after year without hesitation.

Room Tip: Villas are like show homes for the rich.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Los Angeles, california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is absolutely beautiful. The grounds are lush and mature. I checked in and my room wasn't available but they offered for me to use the spa facilities if I wanted to freshen up or change. I declined and headed to the pool to relax. Service was fantastic and quick with my drink and food. The grounds are spread out but the walk is enjoyable. You park your car next to your room which is convenient. If you need, the hotel offers rides from your room to wherever you need to go. My husband played golf and the hotel drove him over to the course. Our room was very large and well appointed. The spa is fantastic as well as the service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the pool so the walk is not too far.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My mother and I had a wonderful trip. We arrived earlier than check in time and they had our room ready for us. We were handed an envelope, which included our itinerary during our stay. This included our spa and dinner reservations. Eric took us to our beautiful bungalow in the 'golf' cart and explained the features of the gorgeous room. The Coliseum Grill's and Andrea's service and food was outstanding. Mom and I walked around the pristine property all the while looking out to the blue Pacific. We also took the complimentary coach to nearby Fashion Island, which leaves the resort at the top of the hour. This complimentary coach also picks up from Fashion Island every half hour...extremely convenient and impressive, I thought. The rooms are quiet. The bath amenities are of high quality. You can leave your shampoos and lotions at home. The night before our departure, hospitality service called our room asking if we needed any assistance and they were able to print out our boarding pass and leave it at our door the next morning. Mom didn't want to leave, but we had to via cab, which picked us up right at the steps of our bungalow. The attention to detail was not lost by the service, building and landscaping architects. Amazing. Thanks, to all at The Resort at Pelican Hill, for making our trip memorable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I just got off the phone after calling back 3 times to get through. Once I got through, I asked for front desk. I was placed on hold for 3 mintues and then Alissa picked up and began askingme about my roomdates, etc. After speaking to ehr for another 3 mintues, she said someone form reservations would call me back. I asked her why she said she was "reservations" and she said, "oh no, I amreservations for activites. not rooms." I asked her why I could not be transferred to room reservations and she said they were all in a meeting. It is Monday at 5:45pm and not one single room reservations person is avaialbe to speak to.....I thena sked to speak to teh GM and she told me that isnt possible. I asked to speak to a amanger, and she put me on hold for about 90 secodns and then hung up on me.

I do reviews all the time and have come to the conclusion that phone service in a hotel is 100% indicative of the service you get when you are at the hotel.

This hotel is supposed to be "luxury" 5 star and costs over $600 a night.
I stay at 5 star, 4 star and 3 star hotels all over the world.....
I recently had better service Birmingham, Alabama at Embassy Suites than on the phone with this hotel.

It is clear that $$$ does not always buy you good service.....

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
PelicanHillResort, Director of Rooms at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent reservations experience with us. I understand your disappointment and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered.

At Pelican Hill, it is our highest priority to deliver exceptional guest experiences from the moment you contact us to book your reservation. We expect each member of our staff to go above and beyond to meet our guests’ expectations, and I regret that your encounter was less than perfect. Please know that I have discussed your feedback with our reservations team, so we may continue to improve on our service levels throughout the Resort.

If I may be of personal assistance to you with any reservations, please contact me directly. I will provide my contact details separately in a private message. Once again, please accept my sincere apology, and I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you soon.

Kind regards,

David Phillips
Director of Rooms
The Resort at Pelican Hill
McHenry, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Both are absolutely lovely resorts. Pelican Hill is newer and much more sophisticated, Torrey Pines is more laid back and comfortable. The staff at both resorts are exceptionally good at what they do and it's obvious that they receive excellent training. The bungalows at Pelican Hill are gorgeous and encourage you to just relax and take it all in. We really enjoyed the fireplace and were upgrade to an ocean (albeit obstructed by trees) view. We ate at the Grille twice and both meals were very good, with even better service. The young women who work in the Cafe are super nice and helpful.

The big difference between the two resorts I think is that guests at Torrey Pines are so much friendlier and more considerate of others. The last night of our stay we had a large group of people partying in the room next to us. They started entertaining at 7:30. We had an early morning flight back to Baltimore and just wanted to get some sleep. At 1:00am my husband finally asked our neighbors to turn down their music....they did.....but seemed totally oblivious that others might be trying to sleep at that time of night. A group of the women spent a good deal of time out on their patio complaining loudly about how hard it was to raise children with only one nanny....can't relate as I raised two boys while working full time with no help at all. Overall, the guests at Pelican Hill seemed more self-absorbed than thoughtful. Just my observation, and maybe we were just unlucky with the neighbors. While I loved the resort, and this was our second visit, I probably wouldn't return for another stay........The Lodge at Torrey Pines is a better fit for us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband, daughter, and I wanted a quick escape for the July 4th weekend. I just wish that we had a longer vacation at The Resort at Pelican Hill! From the moment we arrived, the service was excellent. We were addressed by name and were told very quickly that we were upgraded from a 1-bedroom bungalow to a 2-bedroom villa. For us, it was perfect. If you are unaware of the resort layout, the villas are quite a bit secluded from the rest of the property. Since we were wanting a relaxing vacation, this was a good fit for us. If you are wanting "a piece of the action" I would suggest a bungalow.
Our 2 bedroom villa was at least 1500 square feet, if not larger. There was a very modern full kitchen. We just used the fridge. There was a washer/dryer which came in handy to rinse/dry our swimsuits. There was a balcony terrace which was lovely for an afternoon siesta. The bathrooms were large(2.5 baths) with good showers. The beds were wonderful!
The service in the restaurants was friendly and professional.The
food at the restaurants was delicious and plentiful. We enjoyed every meal.
We did rent a cabana by the pool for 1 day. This was the only problem that we encountered. If you are wanting to rent a cabana, you may want to see if there are small children at the cabanas near you. We were all adults, and the cabana next to us had 2 screaming, small children which was not very relaxing. For $350, there should be an adult section of cabanas. That is truly the only complaint that I had with the resort. .
We are truly looking forward to our next visit to this beautiful resort!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I recently went with another couple friend to The Resort at Pelican Hill. We stayed in one of their Villas which was first class. The staff at the whole resort was about as good as I have experienced. Kerry at the Villa pool went above and beyond to make sure we had a good time and even took us out on a boat to see the Harbor. Kevin, the butler was also great and made sure our villa had everything we needed.

Overall, we will be back to Pelican Hill!

Alex E

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!