“Outstanding Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Houston, Texas
“Outstanding Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Very unique resort with bungalows and villas. Great restaurant. Two golf courses which are average, but with a high green fee. Service is great. Good spa. We were upgraded from a bungalow to a three bedroom villa. Beautiful villa with about 2500 sq ft - full kitchen, 3 bedrooms and 3 baths, large LR and DR, flat panel tv's in LR and all BR's. Main drawback - you need a shuttle to get to the Villa Clubhouse or the mail clubhouse. However, more convenient if you have a car.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Ladera Ranch, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for my husbands work conference and it was great. The rooms are very nice & the service is great. The views from the rooms are gorgeous. You are close to Fashion Island (shopping) & Newport which has a lot of restaurants & shops. It's a great location.

• Stayed October 2012
Plymouth, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I spent 4 nights in one of the bungalows at Pelican Hill and I cannot say enough about this gorgeous property. Our room was exquisite with all the amenities we could ever want. Without exception, the staff was very professional, friendly and accommodating to our every need. The grounds and the pool are beautiful with spectacular views. The restaurants and the spa are also wonderful. I would not hesitate to recommend this lovely resort.

Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've just recently stayed at the Villas at the Pelican Hills Resort in Newport Beach. What a wonderful place to stay! The spacious 3bedroom villa comes with a butler who is simply one touch on the phone away. He is never near the villa unless you require his services. If you would like a ride to one of the restaurants he pulls up in a black Escalade to escort you to your desired destination. The views of the golf course and ocean are hard to tear your eyes away from! The fridge was stocked with a few things to get you started in the morning. I will be back! The entire experience was first rate!,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Westlake Village, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Second time staying here. Overall First Class Resort with Excellent Service. However, they have some holes in their game that need to be addresses for a resort of this caliber.

Called a few days before our arrival to set up car service to take us to dinner. Took 3 follow up calls to confirm a car and then we were informed it would be a $200 minimum for a one way drop off. Ended up using an independent service for half the cost and had an S Class pick us up.

Upon check in, we were escorted to our Ocean View Bungalow, which was very nice. Spacious, nice balcony, etc. The guy who showed us to our room was very thorough, explained where everything was, how everything worked, the amenities, etc. Great start!

Called to book massages at the spa. Danielle informed me that our desired times were booked, but she would put us on the waiting list. She was very friendly and very helpful. Ended up booking some other treatments. Within 5 minutes there was a knock on our door and a confirmation letter was delivered. The next day she followed up with a call to let us know that a spot opened up, which made my wife very happy.

We arrived back late after a long night out and looked for a privacy or DND sign, but couldn't find one. Also, they didn't do turn down service that night. Not a huge deal, but it's a nice touch...

We passed out and hoped for the best. Sure enough, housekeeping comes at 9:30am the next morning and wakes us up. Not their fault, but wish we would have had that sign. We fall back asleep, only to be awoken again 45 minutes later buy a delivery to our room. I asked the guy if he could bring us a privacy sign. He said he would, but never came back with one.

Another late night and pretty much a repeat of the same scenario as the day before. So much for sleep on this trip! Our fault for not calling again to request a privacy sign but kind of annoying that it wasn't there and our first request was ignored.

Also, Water, Coffee and Mini bar were never refreshed throughout our trip and dirty coffee cups and wine glasses were left on counter from first day/night. Had to wash them ourselves to use again.

Would we come back. Yes. However, the service seems to be a bit inconsistent. It's either over the top good or severely lacking. Hope management fills some of these gaps so I can give it 5 stars on next visit.

PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I just came back from The Resort at Pelican Hill. We were there on a business trip with a few extra days added on for pleasure. This was my first trip to the Newport Beach area. It's a beautiful place, very affluent. The resort itself is gorgeous but not your average resort. There is not a main hotel with rooms attached. The resort, as many people have described, is broken up into a main entrance which has the main pool, spa, workout center and restaurants. The lodging is spread out throughout the resort. It has the feel of a beautiful planned community. The rooms (king/2Queens sitting area) which are called bungalows are in clusters a short walk/ride away from the main building. In addition to the bungalows there are also two,three and four bedroom villas. We stayed in a two bedroom Garden view Villa. The 2 bed Villas are Four to a building I believe, and there is a top floor called 3rd floor and bottom one called 2nd floor. We had a North Villa with a garden view on the 2nd floor. If you are concerned about a view of the Ocean you definitely need to be on the top(3rd floor) or in a South Villa across the street . Also our Villa was very dark and very dimly lit. Our Garden View was the parking lot and trees which also added to the darkness. The company was paying so we really couldn't change rooms . We did try though and I have to say the ONLY employee we encountered at Pelican Hill that wasn't great was the Guy at the Villa check in desk who was just arrogant and not interested at all in helping us. The Villas are decorated gorgeously and are fully equipped with full kitchens and a butler that is always available to pick you up and take you anywhere in the resort . The villas would be great great for families. There is also a separate Villa clubhouse with it's own smaller (but still beautiful) pool and fitness room and check in lobby. There are also 2 golf courses and a clubhouse building which also has a wonderful restaurant The Pelican Grill which has gorgeous views. I have such mixed feelings about this resort. We had a wonderful time, it was beautiful and so clean and well maintained and for the most part everyone was great but I'm not sure I really like the layout. The having to call for a ride or walk everywhere to get to different things was kind of a pain. I somehow think I would like everything attached. I did not go to the main pool because it was just a hassle and easier to go to the pool right across the street but wish I would have because its breath taking. Coffee shop is also in the main building so you can't just go downstairs to get some coffee. I think these are just personal preferences though. All in all this is really a great resort. One other thing to mention. I'm from the east coast and always think of California as being warm. It was really cold and damp the day we arrived. Weather cleared up but it's not as warm as you would expect for May. One other tip, this resort is on a hillside with a view of the ocean it is not on the ocean. Just thought I'd point that out because I did not realize those things. I would definitely return to Pelican Hill but glad I now know the development and know where I would want to stay.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the ocean you have to book it because a lot have garden views which is trees a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

This was our second visit to PH. Last time (also during peak spring break season), we were upgraded to a 4 bedroom villa on the Fine Hotels and Resorts program, but this time we were told that having booked a 2 bedroom villa, we could not be upgraded to any other villa. After checking in and noticing that the villa had a distinct dank and moldy odor, we requested a villa change via the concierge and we were told that no other villas were available. (The reason for this is that the 2 bedroom villas are in shared building with 4 villas per building. All 2 bedroom villas look out into the parking area/garage roof, and the street beyond. Even the "ocean view 2 bedrooms are covered with an overhanging roof so that there is no option for lounging on your own terrace in the sun- in fact very little light gets into the villa- thus the dankness we noticed) There is also no privacy at all since the villas are in adjoining spaces and stacked together. When I questioned further, I was told that we could change to a 3 bedroom villa for an additional $1000, night. We were told at check in that there was a $60 credit per day for breakfast for the FHR program. We asked which restaurants would offer breakfast at that rate and we were told both the villa restaurant and the Coliseum Grill. There was no mention that the next day was Easter and that the only offering would be a $50 per person buffet. We did go to the main restaurant, and were not told by the hostess, or by out server that it would be a special holiday price. We were also not offered any champagne, etc which must have been included for that price (I'm guessing?)
I called to reserve in advance for Easter dinner. I asked if there were any options for regular ala carte dining, not a special holiday menu, as it was our desire to experience Andrea's regular menu options. I actually called the central dining reservations number on 3 occasions as we were clarifying our plans, and was told that after 5pm on Easter it would be the regular menu. After we were seated, we were given an abbreviated, 5 option special holiday menu!
The first two days our villa was not visited by housekeeping until very late in the day- after we returned from the days activities to shower for dinner. On the 3rd day, I requested that our villa be cleaned earlier so that they didn't arrive while the 3 of us were trying to shower and get ready for dinner. All 7 days, they came after 5pm. I felt very uncomfortable talking with the staff at the villa clubhouse when there were other guests in the building, which was almost every time, as they spoke in very loud voices and had no discretion discussing your personal affairs for others to hear. Cars to transport didn't arrive when called, etc, no bell hop (butler?) showed us to our villa, rather he arrived about 20 minuted after we had taken all of our luggage up and unpacked. Our villa (613) out the back doors looked directly at a bare dirt hill with no landscaping to conceal the white PVC pipes running down. So, as long as you book a 3 or 4 bedroom villa, and don't mind having to ask questions repeatedly, PH is a great resort. I did send Mr Lama an email after our stay to express these concerns and I received no reply.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
PelicanHillResort, Director of Rooms at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Francine,

I am deeply disappointed to hear that your recent visit was less than perfect, and appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback here. As a valued guest of Pelican Hill, I want to thank you for returning to our Italian seaside village, and apologize that your experience over the Easter holiday did not meet your expectations and our goals.

We are pleased to provide accommodation upgrades when available, although occasionally guest demand does not allow it. I apologize for any discontent you may have experienced with your two-bedroom Villa. I understand our Villa Manager spoke directly with you and offered to assist with a room move after your first night, but appreciate that you and your family were already settled in to your accommodations. Rest assured, our team has thoroughly inspected the Villa you stayed in, and no mold has been found.

Please know that I have followed up with the management teams of our food and beverage, housekeeping and front office departments to ensure that your comments are considered carefully, as we continuously strive to heighten the guest experience throughout our Five-Star Resort.

I would like to take the time to speak with you directly to discuss your feedback in more detail. I will provide my contact details separately in a private message. Again, thank you for your candid feedback.

Kind regards,

David Phillips
Director of Rooms
The Resort at Pelican Hill

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!