“It's like coming home, I've never felt my welcomed and relaxed” 5 of 5 stars

The Resort at Pelican Hill
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22701 Pelican Hill Road South, Newport Beach, CA 92657   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
“It's like coming home, I've never felt my welcomed and relaxed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

The south villas and their staff could not have been more friendly, professional, enjoyable to be around and met every need and expectation I had. John the villas manager was gracious and accommodating. Andrew the restaurant manager at piccolo took care of everything was asked for and made me and my family so happy to be there plus we felt that he knows the region and culture very well. Jameson our server was spot on when suggesting and making our drinks, Stacy was cheerful and Pauline at the front desk handled everything splendidly. There was not one thing bad I could say about Pelican Hill, and the staff at the south villas. Bravo!

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Le Claire, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I are staying at The Resort at Pelican Hill for a leisure event or my company. What an exceptional property in every aspect. The grounds are great, the staff is great and you every need will be met. It is not a place for the price conscious but if you are looking for a great retreat that will treat you like royalty this is the place to stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Flawless check-in. Room (bungalow) was amazing. One of the best rooms I have ever stayed in. Free parking and wi-fi. Food at the resort was excellent and staff were very attentive and helpful. Beautiful resort overall. Only one small gripe was the lousy unattentive and unfriendly pair on reception when I checked out. Smarmy, almost threw my bill at me. Having said that I would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I just returned from the resort, celebrating my birthday. I only live 20 minutes away, but I truly felt like I was miles away from my normal hustle and bustle. The staff was extremely attentive, friendly and helpful. It started w the email I received from Shannon, my guest experience concierge, who offered to book spa, golf and/or dining for me. I had her book my spa treatment and informed her I was celebrating my birthday.

The spa was pristine. I was greeted by Lidia, who was so helpful, and my technician (Erica) took the time to ask questions about my skin and what I really wanted. The result was one of the best facials I've had - my skin looks amazing! My bungalow was well appointed, quiet and beautiful - and the bed is soooo comfortable. I was surprised and delighted to receive a special delivery of chocolate covered strawberries along w a note wishing me a happy birthday. I truly enjoyed every moment of my visit to the resort and will be back again and again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

When we arrived at Pelican Hill, our room was not ready. If your room is not ready, they give you free gelato. The architecture is beautiful. All of the staff made sure that we were happy at all times. It has a nice pool and hot tub. It is right on the coast so you can take walks on the beach and not have to go very far. This was a wonderful trip. And I know that I will be taking my family back to Pelican Hill.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
fixerny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

First off, the extraordinary physical facility that is this resort as well as it's breathtaking location on the Southern California coast will make you very happy that you decided to come and stay here. We have done so frequently since 2009.

As a local SoCal visitor and Golf/Spa afficionado, I can attest that the Resort at Pelican Hill, offers the best of both experiences in one sybaritic location. I have brought many guests to play the ocean front course as well as treated friends and relatives to the absolutely delightful and relaxing spa experiences. There is simply no equal to the skill, polish, service and attentiveness of the staff as well as the facilities for golf and spa at Pelican. Even if you decide NOT to stay at Pelican, try the Golf and Spa - it's that good and in this writers opinion, the best on the SoCal coast line, period.

The rooms are well designed, with modern conveniences if not cutting edge technology. Cleanliness and orderliness abound throughout the resort. Pricey and a bit uninteresting, but again part of an experience of staying in such an exclusive area.

Where the hotel Consistently falls down (and this is over a dozen visits and about four years), is in the food and beverage (and room service) areas. This is a failure of Hotel Management 101 and it is consistently sub par. Never encountered a rude or discourteous person in all of our trips, but the list of nits and picks could fill an encyclopedia. A few select examples:

1. At the Resorts "Signature" restaurant, Andrea, a business dinner of 8 guests waited over one hour for the appetizer course - when we finally inquired of our server why dinner was being paced so slowly, she scurried off to the kitchen and returned later with the straight faced explanation that "the Printer in the kitchen had jammed, so your order never made it to the Chef", seriously? And NO we were not comped for the wine, appetizers or toothpicks by the management. If only the restaurant was packed, but aside from our group there was only one other table occupied. Now we know why. PS - the food was equal to the service.

2. At a brunch for Mother's Day (as well as another general Sunday Brunch last year), Managers are seen standing around in groups on the terrace conversing, instead of tending to Patrons. Again I must stress that Everyone at the hotel staff level is pleasant and polite, if in a Stepford Wives kind of way. Also, the food was similarly boring, bland and unimaginative. For any Sunday or Special Event brunch, do yourself a favor and head down the Coast to the St. Regis in Monarch Beach.

3. Recently we attended a close friend's special event at the Hotel. The room was beautiful and the view spectacular, but Again the food was uninspiring, the service was robotic and simple requests ("more coffee please?") seemed to fall upon deaf (if smiling) ears. Even our close friend's frustration was evident when she asked for a show of hands to see whom of her guests wanted more champagne, after repeated requests of the staff were ignored. The answer was about two dozen (hands not requests). At the same event - a disabled guest was forced to wait over 30 minutes for a courtesy golf cart ride from the banquet facility up to the hotel parking valet so she could get back to her car.

In summary, I do recommend and endorse this spectacular property, stay there and enjoy the Golf, Setting and Spa, but by all means explore the myriad alternatives for dining and nightlife the area has to offer.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Saint Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The service, food and property are excellent. This is a must-do if you can afford to experience a week of lavish views, spend time relaxing at the Collesium pool, golf a round at the North Course, and eat at one or two of the amazing restaurants. No matter the reason to be there, it will take your breath away.

Room Tip: Bungalows are great. You can request an ocean view or a garden view. They are very quiet and large.