“Spectacular” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Le Claire, Iowa
“Spectacular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I are staying at The Resort at Pelican Hill for a leisure event or my company. What an exceptional property in every aspect. The grounds are great, the staff is great and you every need will be met. It is not a place for the price conscious but if you are looking for a great retreat that will treat you like royalty this is the place to stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Flawless check-in. Room (bungalow) was amazing. One of the best rooms I have ever stayed in. Free parking and wi-fi. Food at the resort was excellent and staff were very attentive and helpful. Beautiful resort overall. Only one small gripe was the lousy unattentive and unfriendly pair on reception when I checked out. Smarmy, almost threw my bill at me. Having said that I would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I just returned from the resort, celebrating my birthday. I only live 20 minutes away, but I truly felt like I was miles away from my normal hustle and bustle. The staff was extremely attentive, friendly and helpful. It started w the email I received from Shannon, my guest experience concierge, who offered to book spa, golf and/or dining for me. I had her book my spa treatment and informed her I was celebrating my birthday.

The spa was pristine. I was greeted by Lidia, who was so helpful, and my technician (Erica) took the time to ask questions about my skin and what I really wanted. The result was one of the best facials I've had - my skin looks amazing! My bungalow was well appointed, quiet and beautiful - and the bed is soooo comfortable. I was surprised and delighted to receive a special delivery of chocolate covered strawberries along w a note wishing me a happy birthday. I truly enjoyed every moment of my visit to the resort and will be back again and again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

When we arrived at Pelican Hill, our room was not ready. If your room is not ready, they give you free gelato. The architecture is beautiful. All of the staff made sure that we were happy at all times. It has a nice pool and hot tub. It is right on the coast so you can take walks on the beach and not have to go very far. This was a wonderful trip. And I know that I will be taking my family back to Pelican Hill.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
fixerny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

First off, the extraordinary physical facility that is this resort as well as it's breathtaking location on the Southern California coast will make you very happy that you decided to come and stay here. We have done so frequently since 2009.

As a local SoCal visitor and Golf/Spa afficionado, I can attest that the Resort at Pelican Hill, offers the best of both experiences in one sybaritic location. I have brought many guests to play the ocean front course as well as treated friends and relatives to the absolutely delightful and relaxing spa experiences. There is simply no equal to the skill, polish, service and attentiveness of the staff as well as the facilities for golf and spa at Pelican. Even if you decide NOT to stay at Pelican, try the Golf and Spa - it's that good and in this writers opinion, the best on the SoCal coast line, period.

The rooms are well designed, with modern conveniences if not cutting edge technology. Cleanliness and orderliness abound throughout the resort. Pricey and a bit uninteresting, but again part of an experience of staying in such an exclusive area.

Where the hotel Consistently falls down (and this is over a dozen visits and about four years), is in the food and beverage (and room service) areas. This is a failure of Hotel Management 101 and it is consistently sub par. Never encountered a rude or discourteous person in all of our trips, but the list of nits and picks could fill an encyclopedia. A few select examples:

1. At the Resorts "Signature" restaurant, Andrea, a business dinner of 8 guests waited over one hour for the appetizer course - when we finally inquired of our server why dinner was being paced so slowly, she scurried off to the kitchen and returned later with the straight faced explanation that "the Printer in the kitchen had jammed, so your order never made it to the Chef", seriously? And NO we were not comped for the wine, appetizers or toothpicks by the management. If only the restaurant was packed, but aside from our group there was only one other table occupied. Now we know why. PS - the food was equal to the service.

2. At a brunch for Mother's Day (as well as another general Sunday Brunch last year), Managers are seen standing around in groups on the terrace conversing, instead of tending to Patrons. Again I must stress that Everyone at the hotel staff level is pleasant and polite, if in a Stepford Wives kind of way. Also, the food was similarly boring, bland and unimaginative. For any Sunday or Special Event brunch, do yourself a favor and head down the Coast to the St. Regis in Monarch Beach.

3. Recently we attended a close friend's special event at the Hotel. The room was beautiful and the view spectacular, but Again the food was uninspiring, the service was robotic and simple requests ("more coffee please?") seemed to fall upon deaf (if smiling) ears. Even our close friend's frustration was evident when she asked for a show of hands to see whom of her guests wanted more champagne, after repeated requests of the staff were ignored. The answer was about two dozen (hands not requests). At the same event - a disabled guest was forced to wait over 30 minutes for a courtesy golf cart ride from the banquet facility up to the hotel parking valet so she could get back to her car.

In summary, I do recommend and endorse this spectacular property, stay there and enjoy the Golf, Setting and Spa, but by all means explore the myriad alternatives for dining and nightlife the area has to offer.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Saint Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The service, food and property are excellent. This is a must-do if you can afford to experience a week of lavish views, spend time relaxing at the Collesium pool, golf a round at the North Course, and eat at one or two of the amazing restaurants. No matter the reason to be there, it will take your breath away.

Room Tip: Bungalows are great. You can request an ocean view or a garden view. They are very quiet and large.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Three couples decided to sneak off for a night at the PH, and we thought the annual Festa Dell' Autunno was the perfect excuse. Boy, did we choose wisely!
The hotel throws an annual three day festival to celebrate their olive harvest. It includes a street festival on site (including finger foods and wine), a delicious outdoor "family style" dinner featuring a selection of italian foods cooked by their reknown chefs, and a fabulous Sunday morning jazz brunch.
We were regaled by opera and pop singers, talented jazz musicians, local artists, a reknown Italian flag tossing troupe, and had to "endure" fascinating stories from our fellow diners during dinner.
Did I over-eat? You BETCHA, but who wouldn't when treated this way. It was fabulous!
I am a local, and for those that don't know it already, we in Orange County are fortunate enough to be surrounded by not one, but FOUR of the best resorts in the country. For those that don't know, these are the Pelican Hill, the Montage Monarch Beach, the Ritz Carlton Dana Point, and the St Regis Dana Point. Let's be real, you cannot go wrong at any of the four, but if I had to choose which was the best...after careful consideration, I'd go with the PH edging out the Montage, and let me be honest, it's NOT an easy choice.
Here's the scoop about all four:
The Montage and Ritz are right on the beach, while the PH and St Regis are on the other side of the road.
The PH and St Regis have FABULOUS GOLF COURSES.
All four have incredible spa facilities, but the Montage and PH are two of the country's finest. That's the truth.
Food at any of the four is exceptional. Anyone that complains about a meal in any of these four places seriously needs some professional help.
The view at any of the four is OH MY GOD, GORGEOUS.
Rooms at all four are ridiculous.Ridiculous as in wow, this is really really nice.
The St Regis is billed as having Orange County's finest Sunday Brunch, but if that's so, the PH is right there with them. The Montage and Ritz only have brunches on special occasions (Mother's Day, etc.), although that may have changed since I checked last.
Service at all four is incredible. These are deservedly FIve Star resorts,and you are treated extremely well.

If you want to complain about the prices or "being nickled and dimed" at any of them, you shouldn't be staying here. Please stay elsewhere, and complain to others.

Back to the PH:
They have a round pool, which is enormous. It's difficult to describe, but the entire pool is 3 1/2 feet deep, and it's so large and so functional that you never feel as if you're cramped there.
You can book either "bungalows" or "villas". The "bungalow" is over 800 square feet, and is nothing short of perfection. Though I didn't stay in a villa, if the bungalow is that nice, I can only imagine how incredible the villas are.
I remember sitting in their coffee shop in the morning, looking out over the pool, the golf course, and the ocean in the distance, and though I live a whopping 8 miles away, I was on cloud nine just sitting there sipping my morning joe enjoying the sights.
After our event dinner, we retired to the main building, and enjoyed the incredible entertainment.
I've had the privilege of staying at three of the four, and have dined at all four. In three of the four resorts, some of Hollywood's elite were a table or two from us. Is that critical? Not at all. The point is, for those that know, this is the southern OC, a good distance from Beverly Hills, and if people like that, who can go anywhere, are coming here, it's for a good reason. These four resorts rock.
The PH is the newest of the four super resorts, and clearly the largest. It's been designed to resemble an Italian villa, and the specialize in Italian cooking. The place is seriously beautiful.
None of the four are inexpensive, but if you want to enjoy the best, splurge. You won't regret it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!