I live very close to the resort, and after many many bike rides thru the property, I read that Pelhill received the 1 ranking in my favorite travel magazine. I never really like the Suburban street vibe of the property, but thought I must be missing something and should drive the 1 mile to Pelhill on 4 wheels and check out the hype. I rented a very nice second floor suite. After about an hour, I wanted to go home.
- check in process was lackluster and very cold. Umm, I'm not bad looking, why do you not want to look at me front desk lady? I have a nice car, why is valet asking about dinner ressies and bugging me about if anyone else will be joining me during my stay? R u kidding me? What business is this of yours? I had the feeling they thought I was a low spender. Um, check my license, I Iive In a more prestigious area than the hotel!
- ok, so I am spending well over $700 a night, and I ask for the shuttle to pick me up for dinner out to crystal cove. I want to have drinks out and not drive. No one calls me back. I want to go home.
- the property, or what I saw of it on my walk that evening, was nothing more than average oc streets with 'mature' Landscaping and A lot of concrete. These kids driving by in escalades like they are the guests, rather than the employees. It's all rather weird - no character or charm at all.
- Locals know that montage is the best resort if you want to be near the water and not be stodgy. Stodgy and on water is the ritz. Fun and views of water is St. Regis. I have stayed at all lot all of these properties many times. They are all wonderful. I did not want to go home when I was there.
So at Pelhill, i watched tv and worked out and checked out within 16 hours of checking in. I am now going to call this place Pel hell.
Won't be going back. Will be telling others about being underwhelmed and overcharged. Will not be trusting my magazine reviews anymore. Will be staying home for at least a week, until I get wanderlust again. Then will probably head up to Ojai valley inn, or someplace nice and amazingly serene, without traffic outside my window and weird garages up and down the Masterplanned hotel street.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Hill Hotel
- Pelican Hill Hotel Newport Beach
- Hotel At Pelican Hill
- At Pelican Hill Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pelican Hill® in Newport Coast is an extraordinary Southern California destination with expansive views of the Pacific Ocean. With Palladian-inspired architecture from Northern Italy, the resort offers 204 Bungalow guest rooms and 128 Villas evoking a home-away-from-home feeling, along with world-class restaurants in classic alfresco settings; a luxurious, award-winning spa; 36 holes of golf designed by Tom Fazio; and spectacular Coliseum Pool. Located between the exclusive Laguna Beach and Newport Beach communities, Pelican Hill is currently ranked America's Top Resort by Condé Nast Traveler readers and Grand Resort 2012 by Andrew Harper's Hideaway Report. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Tingo, Otel and Venere so you can book your The Resort at Pelican Hill reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.