“Excellent property, but pricey” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22701 Pelican Hill Road South, Newport Beach, CA 92657   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Des Moines, Iowa
“Excellent property, but pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

5 star property with outstanding views of the Pacific Ocean. We stayed in a King room- spacious with beautiful view of the ocean - around Rm #400. Shuttle provided down the hill to lobby or spa- but totally enjoyed walking back to the room each night. Great area to walk right from the hotel- @3-4miles to Corona Del Mar public park by ocean and easy 2 miles walk on sidewalk the other way along residential/condo area. Newport Beach rocky and dirty- but park path paved and very nice.
Conceirge service was terrible - to say the least. We we're trying to arrange a private dinner party at Andrea's and they consistently NEVER returned emails or phone calls. The party turned off without a hitch- pasta amazing, but rest of food overrated for the price.
Golf - very expensive- but again with beautiful views and course.
Colliseum Grill food yummy...but we only had appetizers.
Overall- would return to hotel for amazing views, rooms, spa and pool- but service definitely lacking and food average at best. Hotels of this rating need excellence in all areas - not just the view! Would choose Florida or Mexico before this area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Newport Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I attended a wedding at the Pelican Hills a couple of months ago and must say I was very disappointed with the property. There is nothing special about this resort as I have seen and stayed at much more beautiful resorts around the world. I do agree with the other reviews regarding "lack of character" and quite frankly, I also don't understand all the hype. The food quality served at the wedding was good but nothing exceptional.

I do hope they make all the necessary changes to get customer service to an exceptional level.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Louisville, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had just dropped off our youngest daughter to UCSD to start college. We decided to take a litte down time and relaxtion for ourselves and start our journey as empty nesters so we drove one and half hours from La Jolla to this little paradise in the sun. Oh my!
Well, what a wondeful surprise upon our arrival to this fabulous resort. From the time we checked in everything was perfect. This is truly one great place. It has the largest circular pool in the world.....the restauants were also excellent no to mention the great ocean views.
Something interesting is they not only do they have single rooms where we stayed WITH a wonderful patio where we had breakfast. BUT also there are two, three and four bedroom villas for rent, great for families; Seven days for as long as you wish..some really great deals afetr 30 days. Gorgeous and very reasonably priced.
Anyway, you cannot go wrong staying here. It is the best place in this area for the price including the Ritz! Youwill think you have died and gone to heaven.
We left th resort a few night to try to local restaurants that the concerge suggested..again, excellet suggestions.
We left with some great memories and have no question planning on spending more time next Spring there.

Room Tip: Any....reuqest a ocean view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel property is amazing. The customer service from the front desk, to housekeeping, to room service is really very high end.

My only word of caution is with respect to the view. Given that this property is very close to the ocean you might think that the rooms will all have a decent view -- no so. If ocean view is important to you be sure to ask. Our wonderful suite had a view of bushes, not even a glimpse of the ocean or horizon from where we were.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I just stayed for one night at the Resort this past weekend and this is what I thought about it.

Check in- When we pulled up to Valet they took my car to a waiting area beacause after you check-in you get escorted (Follow an employee driving a Golf Cart) to your parking spot. From the spot he loaded our bags in the golf cart and drove us to our room.

The room - beautiful and spacious. I booked a Bungalow with 2 queen beds, ocean view. The "ocean view" was lacking as this property is NOT right on the water. The ocean can be seen in the far distance. So if your expecting waves to be crashing at your balcony, this is not the place. The room had a fireplace, a nice sitting area, high ceilings and a very spaciuos balcony. The beds were very comfortable, the room was very clean- definately a good value in my opinion.

The Service- I did not eat at any of the restaurants so I cannot commemt on that. However, I needed directions to Fashion Island from the Resort and I called concierge. They printed out the directions and brought them to my room, I thought that showed alot about their concern for service. I felt that Check-in was not very inviting and nice little tour,a glasss of champagne or something would have been nice.We did order room service in the morning for coffee and Hot Chocolate and we sat out on the balcony which was nice. We also took their complimentary shuttle down to the beach Crystal Cove, the driver was very nice he took us staright back to our room on our return. The are shuttle and golf carts all over the place so in my case that was great becasue I was with my Mother and Grandmother who cannot walk very far.

I would definately come back to the resort again, maybe this time with my siginificant other. I would also come for a longer stay and so I could enjoy more amenities.

Room Tip: Bungalows are very spacious. I dont think the "ocean view" is worth the extra money- the G...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Highland Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Spent 4 nights at Pelican Hill in a 3 bedroom Villa. The villa was outstanding - large rooms, huge bathrooms, full kitchen. Each bedroom had it's own large screen TV. Even larger TV and fireplace in Living Room. Large private patio with a stunning view of the sun setting over Catalina. They even had milk, orange juice, cereal, 4 bottles of beer, and bottle water to get you started. Service was spectacular - From Check-in, the pool, the restaurants, housekeeping, valet, all of the hotel staff we encountered were exceptionally nice, and attentive, exactly what you would expect from a 5 Star Resort. Villas have private clubhouse with smaller pool and food service. We played golf on both courses. Views of the Ocean and canyons are spectacular! Both courses are very challenging. Contrary to the pictures on their website - only 2 holes on the South course are near the ocean. Golf rates include a forecaddie which is a BIG help and I strongly suggest taking advantage of the service - at least the first time you play each course. All have stunning views from up on the hillside. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Property is spread out and the resort does offer complimentary shuttle service. It could be a long w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is one of the most beautiful and well maintained resorts I have ever been to. The service was impeccable, and everyone remembered my name after helping me one time. I wish I would have had time to golf - the course looks incredible! I did get to eat breakfast at The Colosseum, which was the best buffet I have ever experienced. I also got to spend an hour or so at the pool, which was stunning and had great views! The rooms were beautiful as well, and I was very impressed with housekeeping.

The spa was very nice as well, I just wish I had more time to enjoy it!

Room Tip: The 1 bedroom bungalow was great, but I would have rather had a full ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!