“We would love to return!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22701 Pelican Hill Road South, Newport Beach, CA 92657   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
New York, New York
“We would love to return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My husband and I just returned from five nights here, and we loved this resort. My husband is an architecture buff and has very exacting standards. The Italian country design was beautiful, and the resort is kept immaculately. The pool, gym and spa are all first-rate.

Only complaints, and they are small:
We thought the Andrea restaurant was excellent but not extraordinary. We live in Manhattan so perhaps we are too picky.

Also, the reservation staff is not well trained. They had difficulty in making date changes and answering pretty basic questions.

Finally, we were glad we got the Bungalow and Breakfast package. Breakfast delivered to our room was still very expensive ($100/two before the package discount) even with this package.

But we are dreaming of returning, perhaps with our children and grandchildren if we can afford the bill!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed as a family for 3 nights and had one of the brilliant bungalows, fab views, tons of space and a super comfy bed. The Pelican Grill was our favourite restaurant with great steaks and romantic views. The buildings and scale of the Pelican together with the landscaping make you feel transported to a dream of what a Mediterranean holiday should look like, just fab. I rated at 4 stars for one specific reason, we stayed the previous week at the Grand Del Mar where the pool service is outstanding at the Pelican our experience on several occasions was so disappointing, we had to either get the towels and set ourselves up or the pool staff did half the job, towels on the lounger but none to dry off with. Not sure what's going on here but definitely a area to improve! A fantastic stay in a great place that is definitely worth trying.

Stayed August 2012
Bilthoven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We are a family with two teenage daughters and we enjoyed our stay here very much. We loved Newport Beach and Balbao!! The bungalow rooms are big enough for our family to with all our suitcases. We asked for a bungalow with 2 queens nr 308. (not the king and sofabed that we got first nr 307, which was dark because of a tree in front of the patio) The beds are very comfortable and there was no sound of the airco. The bathroom amenities are great, don't know the brand but it feels and smells just like Aveda. There is also nice outdoor patio. Breakfast was very nice, also the service was good. Self parking in front of the bungalows.
We went to Crystal cove with the complimentary bus service and they gave us a bag with towels, water and sunscreen. They took good care of us. Fashion Island was like paradise for our daughters. Pelican Hill was like paradise for us.

Room Tip: take a good look at your bungalow and see if it is not to dark, some gardenview bungalows even have...
Rome, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed in this resort with my family for 5 days this August 2012. Overall the place itself is really gorgeous: rooms are new, spacious and elegant, pools and spa very nice, golf course superbe and views unique. Unfortunately the service we experienced was not in line with the standards of this category of resorts. Just as examples: one day the room was not made up and we had to call 3 times to have it done (and this happened at 8:00 pm), another day room service competely forgot to clean the balcony where we had breakfast in the morning (we only noticed this, when we returned in the room at 7:00 pm), I have been waiting for hours for a FedEx shipment, whereas the package had been delivered and forgotten at the reception. Last but not least, food didn't meet our (probably high, coming from Italy) expectations.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
PelicanHillResort, Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent experience with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the Resort’s luxurious accommodations, pools, Five-star Spa and world-class golf courses, but regret the unfortunate circumstances you encountered surrounding service during your stay.

I understand your level of disappointment regarding housekeeping, staff follow-up and dining, which caused your experience fall short of your expectations and our goals. For this reason, I am taking this opportunity to share your valued feedback with management teams in each department, as well as with our culinary staff. We are addressing the concerns you kindly noted here, as we continually strive to heighten service levels throughout the Resort.

Once again, thank you for offering your input here. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again. Should your travels bring you back to Southern California, please contact me personally.

Kind regards,

Scott Lundahl
Resident Manager
orange county, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and I live in the area, and frequent many of the resorts for stays, food, drink and spa treatments. This however, was our first stay here at the Pelican Hill. We had planned to book just a couple of massages and stay for the day, something that we've done a few times at both the Montage and the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel. At the Pelican Hill they do not allow you to use the amenities if you are not a hotel guest (and there is no spa pool to enjoy after your treatments). So we decided that we would stay the night.
Unfortunately, I was not impressed with the massage, I was hoping that my husband would be raving about his so that the spa would have a redeeming quality, but no, he was not impressed either. I wonder if the 22% they take upfront for all services leaves little for the therapists to work for. This is not standard at any resorts we've had treatments done with, only encouraged, which we surely oblige. We definitely agree that our best massages have been at the Montage, hands down.
The service in some areas of the hotel were great, but at the pool, restaurants, and with room service both food and service was forgetful and slow. Like finally remembering to bring my drink after my lunch was served, eaten and I reminded you twice. That happened with no apologies just excuses on two separate occasions. When we are paying $16 a drink, I would appreciate that it would be served ahead of my meal. That being said, we did not take the chance with dinner, we got in our car and headed to Bandera's which did not disappoint.
The location of this resort is fantastic. I believe that you should rent a car with your stay if you are flying in, it is about a mile in either direction to some of the best restaurants, shopping and beach towns in Orange County.
I wish I could say more good things about the resort as we were really looking forward to our stay. The rooms were really nice and spacious, and resort itself was beautiful to walk around and spend time at, but as far as a lasting impression.... it was just average.

Lake Forest, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

During my stay at this amazing resort we found the amenities to be outstanding, however the food was not 5 star. Go figure for a resort of this caliber that the food would be sub-par. One can find better deals for sure at this price. The food should be outstanding in my opinion.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Just returned from a week long trip with my wife and two kids. Stayed in two bedroom North Villa for ~$1200 per night. Accommodations were nice as was property--though very spread out. Major disappointment was with service which was far below expectations given lofty room rate. I expected something close to Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton, for what we were paying but got closer to Best Western...So here is the list of service related issues we experienced during our stay...

+ Room was not serviced first day of vacation. Left the room at 8AM and returned at 6PM after a long day at pool / beach to dirty room; Complained to manager and received apology--nothing more
+ Butler service that is supposed to be available to tend to needs often unavailable when you try to call; Put on hold numerous times when trying to secure butler to get ride to main part of hotel
+ Breakfast at Coliseum--Tried the breakfast at the coliseum--guess they are not used to people choosing to order off the menu versus the near $40 buffet as it took over 30 minutes to prepare / deliver an omelet and waffle--excuse given is that fresh waffle batter needed to be prepared
+ Beach Shuttle - Hotel SUV would not pick us up at beach to take us back to hotel--said they were there for a specific family. After realizing the family was not there they left without taking any one back. When regular shuttle arrived five minutes later there were too many people so we had to wait another 30 minutes for a ride back--unacceptable that SUV driver left with an empty vehicle and more than 8 patrons waiting for a ride back.
+ Towels for beach - Elected to drive to beach and asked for towels at hotel entrance from two individuals. Was told that I would have to wait for hourly beach shuttle to return to receive towels.
+ Check Out - Attempted to check out of villas at 6:45 AM for early flight and was told that Villa front desk not manned until 7AM. When I check out at main desk and was asked how my stay was, I informed the clerk that the property was very nice but service disappointing. The response: "sorry our service did not meet your expectations". I was floored that the gentlemen did not even inquire as to why I was disappointed--seemed obvious to me that the hotel is not truly interested in customer service. I would have talked to manager, but none available, and based on earlier experience it would have been to no avail.

There were other issues but I think you get the point. Individually I could let these things slide, but when you look at the overall experience you can only reach the conclusion that the hotel is really not focused on customer service. For this kind of money I expected much more...Next time we will return to the St Regis at Dana Point.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the North Villas -- too far from main hotel and villa pool
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about the unfortunate circumstances you encountered recently. While I’m delighted that you enjoyed our accommodations, I sincerely regret that your service experience fell short of your expectations and our goals.

I understand your level of disappointment and have taken this opportunity to personally follow up with the leaders of each department, based on the details you shared regarding housekeeping, butlers, transportation services and the front desk. Rest assured, we are addressing the important concerns you kindly noted here as we continually strive to heighten service levels throughout the Resort.

In consideration of your thoughtful feedback, I would be grateful for the opportunity to speak with you further about your experience. I kindly invite you to call me directly and have sent my contact details to you separately in a private message. I look forward to speaking with you, so I may express my apologies to you personally.

Kind regards,

Giuseppe Lama
Managing Director

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!