“I Was In Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 17 hotels in Newport Beach
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“I Was In Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Never have I stayed in such a luxurious and tranquil as all the others that I have stayed at before. I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed my every minute of stay in this villa, Pelican Hill Resort. On reaching our destination, I was completely blown away by the lush greenery in the gardens surrounding the villas and the beautifully-furnished and cosy room.

Pelican Hill Resort is strategically-located along the coast in Newport Beach and it is a perfect place for you to escape the hustle and bustle of city life. Besides enjoying the state-of-the-art facilities provided, you can take a short walk to the soft sandy beach for a stroll to enjoy the breathtaking scenery or you can take a leisurely walk around the huge landscaped surroundings where you can just enjoy nature’s beauty.

I stayed in one of the 847 square feet single storey bungalow room with a view terrace overlooking the Pacific Ocean for 2 nights. I must admit I had a really sound sleep those two nights. I particularly liked the fireplace which kept us warm (I was there in winter) especially as, being a Malaysian from a tropical country, I felt pretty cold as I rarely travelled in winter. Besides, we were treated to a wide variety of channels on the television. In addition, we had free Wi-Fi service. Not all resorts in the upper range too provide free Internet services.

The room was very clean as it was still quite a new resort and was well-maintained. I also liked the design of the bathroom. It was very spacious and well-designed. You can take a quick shower or if time is on your side, you can enjoy the bathtub. Beside the bathtub is a window from which you can look into the room and also admire magnificent scenery of the lovely ocean outside the room. This was another unique feature of the room which caught my attention.

Finally, the service provided by the staff of the resort was first-class. They attended to your every need and were most polite and efficient. I also ordered the food on the menu there and it was quite delicious. I wouldn’t hesitate if I got another opportunity to return to this splendid place again but only if I have a lot of money because it cost quite an exorbitant sum to stay here. However, if you really want to have an enjoyable, relaxing and peaceful vacation without worrying about a budget, Pelican Hill Resort may just be the right place for you.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

733 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Pelican Hill is a true 5 star resort! It is exquisitely beautiful, quiet and out of the way. Perfect for golfers, spa-goers or people who just want their privacy. We stayed for 2 weeks in a king bungalow overlooking the Ocean. The rooms are not directly on the ocean but they have ocean views and are spacious, comfortable, new and clean. We had a double fireplace, huge bathrooms, huge bedroom- everything was perfect. The staff was amazing and everyone bent over backwards to make sure we were taken care of. The property is very large so it never appears crowded or busy- even over Christmas. The landscaping and property are impeccable. We played a lot of golf. Both the North and South courses have stunning views. We preferred the North as do most people our caddies told us. The only complaint (which I can't even really complain about) was the driving range had mats not grass but I believe in the summer they use grass. We had massages at the spa and I had manicures, pedicures and hair- all were excellent! The food was excellent- our waiter Mauricio at Andrea's was especially helpful! Breakfast and brunch overlooking the pool was great. Only food downside was meals from room service were good/ok but not over-the-top like everything else. We had a chance to check out the villas. If we came back with more people we would stay in the larger South villas. The smaller North villas were nice looking but I thought the bungalows were a little more personality. If you are staying in the villas you have a private clubhouse and pool. The pool for the rest of the resort is so gorgeous and convenient that having the villa pool would have just been an added bonus. This place may be considered "expensive" compared to a lot of places but we felt we more than got more than our money's worth. Hope to be back soon!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a corporate retreat in January 2012. The rooms are lovely and they all seem to have magic views of the ocean. The staff is exceptional and went out of their way to make sure we had a wonderful time. On our first day there, one of the shuttle drivers gave us an impromptu ride down to Crystal Cove beach for lunch. The grounds are so large that you need either the shuttle bus or the ubiquitous golf carts to get around, otherwise you have to walk a lot. Wasn't a big problem for us, as we liked the exercise.

Restaurants were nice and the food was quite delicious. Access to the beach was nice, but again, you probably need the shuttle rather than walking down.

Overall it was a great experience and we loved our time there.

• Stayed January 2012
Buffalo,NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I stayed at the resort at pelican hill recently on a business trip with Porsche ( who i work for ), I was lucky enough to have my room paid for for a few nights while i paid for a few nights myself as i extended my stay.

I arrived at John Wayne airport and picked up my rental car ( i believe its about a $30 cab ride ), the drive to the resort took about 20 minutes and it was easy to find ( using my GPS :) ), i pulled into the reception area and was checked in in minutes, i was greeted warmly and everyone had a smile and a greeting for me.

I had a bungalow reserved, which i had one of the employees lead me to it in a golf cart while i followed in my rental car , i was staying in 439 which while offering a great view is a little far away from some of the amenities ( more on that later )

My bungalow was a very nice warm place to be, i had a private terrace with a great ocean view, and a nice bathroom with a huge walk in shower, one minor complaint is that while there is a good size fridge in the room it was fully stocked with ( expensive ) sundries and if you want to store anything to keep cool you will have to get creative, i think with all the storage options they offer in the room a little mini fridge to keep your own things cool would be a nice idea.

In the room is also a nice flat screen HDTV with an impressive BOSE audio system built in.
As i mentioned earlier, being in room 439 i found myself a little far away from such amenities as the pool and restaurants along with the spa and its around a 10 minute walk to get to some of those features, if you can try and get yourself a bungalow in at least the 300 block, or maybe even something in the lower numbers as you'll find yourself spending less time walking and more time enjoying.

While im on the subject of amenities, the restaurants on site are amazing a little expensive ( which you would expect in a resort such as this but my favourite feature is the coliseum pool, its breathtaking and one of the most impressive pools ive come across.

I didnt get to experience the golf course, but it also looked amazing, if youre looking to treat yourself to a beautiful resort in the beautiful setting of Newport Beach california then this should be high on your list.

Room Tip: Try and request something no higher than 300 block, that way youll spend less time walking
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

This hotel is great. Perfect beds and room service. Stunning views. No doubt I will come back

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Trenton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

Everything about Pelican Hill is outstanding. The rooms, the service, the grounds, the facilites.

Room Tip: I had a one bedroom bungalow suite. A huge bedroom with fireplace, separate dressing area and bath...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We were lucky enough to spend our last night on our babymoon/last hurrah vacation in a beautiful Villa at Pelican Hills. We shared a three bedroom with my sister and her family (7 of us total) and it was perfect! We had a spectacular view of the golf course and ocean with Catalina Island in perfect site. We spent the first afternoon at the Villa pool, which is the smaller of the resort pools, but it was still quite large. The waitstaff was attentive and we couldn't have asked for a better day.

Our Villa was well appointed with every amentity we could think of. The bulter service was great and when we needed a wine opener, we got one within 5 minutes! We had room service breakfast and it wasn't over the top expensive and then spent a lazy morning/afternoon up at the main Coliseum pool, which we were told was the worlds largest circular salt water pool! It was rumored that the owner flew over the pool when it was being built and didn't like that the tiles didn't reflect the water, so they drained it and started over. We loved that it was 4 foot all around so the kids could be in the middle and still have fun! We also loved the kiddie pool area with the water "fountain" feature that shoots water - fun for the kids to play!

We will definitely be making a trip back to Pelican and hopefully stay longer to enjoy the golf and spa! If you want to spend a little more than say at a Marriott or the like, the Pelican is a must!

Room Tip: Check around for discounted rates - sometimes when they aren't fully committed, they will offer...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!