“We are going to make this a family tradition!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22701 Pelican Hill Road South, Newport Beach, CA 92657   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Southlake, Texas
“We are going to make this a family tradition!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

We stayed at the Pelican Hill Resort while my husband was on a business trip. We arrived a few days ahead of time to take advantage of the facilities before his conference began. Within a short time of arrive, we really felt as though we were on vacation. The rooms are gorgeous and feel like a beautiful modern cabin on the ocean. We had views of the ocean from our private patio and had our coffee there every day in the morning. I always started the day with a dip in the hot tub at the spa followed by a sauna. This was included with the room rate, so although I only had one official treatment at the spa, I felt as though I had been pampered all week. We loved it here and will definitely make it our place to stay in Newport Beach.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
North Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

The Resort at Pelican Hill is a beautiful resort and away from all of the hustle and bustle. You truly feel like you are getting away from it all when you visit this place. It is located between Laguna Beach and Newport Beach and is about fifteen minutes from Orange County's John Wayne airport.

The owner was inspired by the Italian architect, Andrea Palladio and it shows. The entire resort has a northern Italian feel to it from the overall decor, Italian bed linens to the landscaping.

We stayed in one of the ocean-view Bungalows (regular room). These rooms are very spacious and quiet. Each room has its own gas-lit fireplace, private terrace, seating area with love seat and chair, table with chairs, granite wet bar, flat screen TV and the list goes on.

The resort is somewhat expansive so depending on where your room is located - there can be quite a bit of walking. However, they are happy to transport you around the resort at no cost to you.

The Coliseum pool is beautiful. It is a perfect circle and has over a million glass mosaic tiles. It was inspired by the Coliseum in Rome. The views from the pool are lovely - both the golf course and the ocean. We rented one of the cabanas and it made for a very relaxing day as we were able to come and go as we wanted.

The spa experience was wonderful. The spa itself is beautiful and the service was amazing. My friend and I had a 30 minute window between our treatments so we ordered lunch and they had it waiting for us when we finished our massages so we were able to eat leisurely before we went for our pedicures. Be sure to check out the Spa Boutique on your way out as they have some cute items that make for great gifts for those friends and family members you left at home.

We ate at a few of the restaurants and I can't say the food was amazing but it was consistently good and the service was good as well.

Overall, a great place to escape and relax.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I was greeted with fake smile by "Raquel or Rachel" because I did not have a reservation at the Coliseum Restaurant. She asked me where I would like to be seated; I replied by the canopy shade then another hostess lead me to the table where there was no protection. I pointed to her a table that my husband and I would prefer to sit down ; mind you she replied it is reserved. No one sat in that table for one hour and forty-five minutes. It went down hill from there, our server Nancy apologetic made a mistake with my order: I ordered a glass of wine, half order of Tuscan Cesar salad and for my entree grilled swordfish. My 2 oz swordfish {that is right folks} came rubbery. The server did ask how my meal and I told her the truth the swordfish was rubbery. She did not do anything about it.I supposed if a person wants ambiance Pelican Hill offers it with an attitude.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

The rooms are not in a hotel, but scattered along the property like condo's on a street. All are attached. So picture several streets lined above each other. Transportation is provided to take you to the pool, lobby, etc. The area is small enough to walk it, though. At night, you would prefer to take transportation because it's poorly lit. Pool is only 3 feet deep, so limited fun.
Services are slow and rooms are not made up until late in the day. Maids placed personal items (hair brush, hair dyer) in other bathroom and cabinets without asking! I have never experienced this in my life! I had to look for items that I knew I had left on the bathroom counter. Very strange. At early hours outside disturbances will awaken you. Food and mixed drinks were inconsistant and quite pricy for the VERY SMALL portions. The hotel is not close to other restaurants or a town, so expect to pay high prices, wait for all services, and not sleep into the morning...Personnel are distant and not warm and friendly. There are exceptions to this remark (transport drivers and concierge), but for the most part, I would say that it is a resort that is not successful in achieving even a 4 star rating. Don't choose this location for a relaxing get away.
Spa treatment was less than spa quality. Manicurist did not complete application of polish to sides of nals, nor across the top. Pedicare did not include a massage to the legs. Cold atmossphere. No one else in the room, so felt odd. I expected a paraffin treatment for the hands, wonderful smelling lotions. Hardly a spa... I read some other reviews and cannot identify where they were. Not the Pelican Hills I was at. No one acknowledged any of us or seemed to care to. I have been to many resorts in many locations. Never returning to waste time and money here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts regarding your recent stay at Pelican Hill. As we continually strive to improve our service standards throughout the Resort, your valuable feedback is a gift to us.

As a thoughtfully designed Five-Diamond Resort, Pelican Hill stretches across more than 500 coastal acres overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Situated to provide the maximum exposure to these expansive ocean views, our tranquil and private Bungalows are laid out much like a seaside Italian village, rather than standard stacked hotel rooms that empty into a single traffic-congested lobby. Indeed, the Coliseum Pool is 3 feet deep throughout, but also one of the largest circular pools in the world at 136 feet in diameter with 1.1 million hand-laid mosaic glass tiles.

While I am pleased you had the opportunity to enjoy the accommodations, coaches and concierge services, I regret the unfortunate circumstances you encountered with housekeeping, dining and our Five-Star Spa. I understand your level of dissatisfaction, which fell short of your expectations and our goals.

As a result of your comments provided here, I have taken this opportunity to follow up with the Director of Housekeeping, Director of Food & Beverage, and Spa Director. Rest assured, what you experienced was the exception and not the rule, as our personnel are consistently complimented for the unparalleled service they deliver.

Once again, I sincerely regret the discontent you experienced during your stay and look forward to another opportunity to serve you at Pelican Hill. Please contact me directly if I could be of personal assistance.

Giuseppe Lama
Managing Director
Southern CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

As soon as we drove up to the villa gates, we knew we were going to have a fun time checking out this place. My husband, three kids and my parents stayed in a 3-bedroom villa. We originally reserved a two-bedroom, but we were gladly upgraded. The staff welcomed us with a plate of gourmet meats, cheese and bread.

The villas have a garage with a washer and dryer in it. The villa is spacious and gorgeous. The kitchen is nice with top of the line appliances. The staff stocked the fridge with complimentary water, milk and beer. The patio itself is wide and has patio furniture so you can enjoy the view of the golf course and Pacific Ocean. It was clear enough to see Catalina Island during our visit. The staff is very helpful. One of the terrific service features is the shuttle from the room to almost any place on the resort. One call to the butler, and a shuttle appeared within five minutes.

We only stayed for one day. We checked out the golf course, practice range, Camp Pelican (kids area), and beautiful pools. I definitely wanted to stay one more day. Wireless internet is slow. I know, I know. What am I doing at a resort with a laptop in the first place?

My husband and I ate at the Coliseum Grill. The food was okay and overpriced. The dining area is nice with views of the ocean.

We'll return to Pelican Hill Resort but during the off-season when rates are lower. Even off-season rates are high. I guess you have to pay the big bucks to experience this much luxury.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
san francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

We've been to PH several times and each a pleasant experience. We love the gorgeous finishes, enormous square footage, kitchen and laundry provided at the villas; a luxurious and convenient option for a week's stay with a large family. The ease of maneuvering around the resort with your car is the best!
Between the 2 distinct areas; main hotel and villas the place is massive and offers most everything.
Service - very inconsistent and at times nonexistent at the Villa Clubhouse, restaurant and pool. Extremely helpful and accommodating once you find someone but for the most part you are on your own. If you are looking for FS service and the small details, this is not the place.
Housekeeping - again very helpful when you ring up with a request but if you ask for later than 9am cleaning no one will appear until turn-down. (missed housecleaning and turn-down once.)
Villa Front Desk - chaotic, especially during the summer, although very very friendly and accommodating.
Villa Concierge - knowledgeable, extremely helpful and friendly.
Food - generally very good. had a burger that was a hockey puck and they brought another :) the restaurant hours and selection at the villa restaurant toooo limited!
Undoubtedly my preference is to vacation here during the low traffic times...much more enjoyable and less service-related issues.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Absolutely breathtaking...everything from the warm greeting and ambiance of the lobby, the over the top friendliness of the staff "you can do whatever you'd like" attitude, the spectacular grounds, the transportation to and from everywhere, the sexy, hip, chill vibe of the entire colliseum vibe...best pool scene ever! the quaintness of crystal cove...it goes on and on...the cute coffee cups in the hotel lobby hand made and delish coffee! incredible! can't wait to come back...oh yes, the spa....omg....it's fantastic - great smells, steam room amazing, etc, etc, etc

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
#9 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 565 reviews
Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 19 in Huntington Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#5 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 631 reviews

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!