“Charming.......but not a 5 star” 3 of 5 stars

Balboa Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   105 Main Street, Newport Beach, CA 92661   |
Ranked #17 of 17 hotels in Newport Beach
Parker, Colorado
“Charming.......but not a 5 star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed August 19th 2013 in room 204. For two hundred dollars my window backed into a brick wall. I heard the clanging of pots and pans below and the guy in the bicycle shop has a potty mouth. The structure is old, not much counter space in the bathroom. I could not get my window to open but thank goodness the room had a fan overhead that gave some relief from the heat. My son's room had a fan but it didn't give off much relief.....that was their air conditioning. I loved the Casablanca feel to the room and loved the old carpet. The hallway carpet is heavily stained but the tile patio floor is beautiful downstairs. You will get charged 15.00 extra dollars to park your car across the street at the beach. We had a few phone requests and someone was at our door to help us within one minute. The bed was VERY comfortable and slept well. The room could have been cleaner, lots of dust on the blinds and corners of the rooms.

Room Tip: The rooms closer to the beach are nicer but you'll pay more.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our room was so disgusting and the manager/owner? was so unhelpful that we left the hotel without staying the night.

Anyone reserving a standard room (which runs $249/night in the summer) should beware. Our standard room was located in the un-renovated half of this hotel. The hallway carpet is dirty and hallway doors are propped open with filthy hand towels. Our room had mysterious red marks on the floorboards, questionable smudges in the bathroom and very worn furniture (see photos). Upon discovering a stain on the bed cover and requesting a new one, someone simply dropped a new one onto the corner of our bed. Stained cover still on the bed.

The manager (owner?) was surly and unhelpful. His solution was to offer us a suite in the renovated building for $400 - yes, we would be required to pay the difference.

The rooms in the renovated section start at $349/night and while they are ocean-facing, what the hotel website doesn't mention is that they also have a spectacular view of the large, public parking lot directly below them. Anyone gushing about this property is either friends with the owner or doesn't realize they paid a ridiculous rate for their renovated room.

We left.

Room Tip: Find another hotel. This property is a rip off. Even the renovated rooms, while ocean-facing, are fi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We got the bait and switch too. Called ahead and were told they would hold a double 20 minutes. Got there in 10 and 'poof', only room now available was the suite. Regardless, REALLY old, cramped and smelling strongly of industrial disinfectant. The furniture reminded me of the bedroom set my sister and I had growing up in the 70's. SO loud even with the windows closed. Dumpsters, drunks and dudes don't care people are trying to relax and sleep.

On the plus side, very convenient to everything, cool looking from the outside. Lots of bronze sculpture tucked all over, staff very friendly and pleasant. Food and service at terrace restaurant very good although view of the beach is obstructed by railing. Bed was comfy, nice pillows.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed in a family sweet with my husband and two kids in June...it was perfect. Fantastic location, beautiful room (clean, updated and very comfortable) and fantastic staff! Footsteps from the beach. Tons of shops, restaurants and activities in walking distance. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

So to get those fancy rooms everyone has pictures of is an extra 300-400 a night on top on the 1100 a night in this dump I'm in now. Got a two bed room it has 2 BOX TVs, windows that open with a rotating handle and 2 of the 4 handles don't work so anyone can open or close my window thankfully I'm on the second floor. My room is 204 and outside my room happens to be the trash dumpster below me I can hear everything being dumped in there due to my windows not operating properly. NATS!!! I had to kill 5NATS flying around my bathroom from god knows what. 45$ for valet on weekends 35$ a day during weekdays not to mention the 10$ a day wifi fee. Looks like a broken smoke alarm in my room also, and then there is this god damn water pipe sticking out the wall I just stubbed my toe on. You would think people paying 11-1500 a night they could do a little matenence twice a month. Just noticed when doing the video they have an empty box in my room see video. Luckily this doesn't allow me to curse or F bombs would be flying

• Stayed July 2013
Hickory, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I reviewed this hotel last month when I was visiting Newport Beach. My experience was not an A+ rating on that visit. However I came back to Newport Beach and was sort of coerced to try balboa Inn again...and I did! Great Experience! The service was A+... My room was A+! I just wanted to give a shout out and thank the manager for responding to my last review..and let them know ..their attention to the details of customer service..was much appreciated on my second visit! as a matter of fact...I booked with them again for next week! So check them out and see what u think! I am going to try the Spa out while I am there this time..so I will let you know how that is soon!

Room Tip: Try the Bay View. the Pool view is pretty nice also! And one tip about parking...they have valet and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We booked a Deluxe room which offered either a balcony, ocean view or fireplace. When we arrived, we were shown two different rooms on the 2nd floor of the "old" side of the hotel which has not been remodeled in at least 40 years! The hallway leading to the rooms looked and smelled like a dive motel in Vegas! I really thought we were being punked, the rooms where that bad! I would rather sleep in my car or a tent then in one of these rooms! I took a quick look in the bathroom and couldn't believe my eyes. I was in shock! Disgusting! It was clear that we had no intention of taking either room, so a third option was shown to us on the "newer" side of the hotel, at a higher rate, of course. This room was much nicer, but not worth the higher rate (even though they "discounted" it for us) This hotel totally misrepresent their accommodations online and up sold us to a room that we thought we were booking in the first place. The location was close to the beach, yet close to a parking lot, deliver trucks (backing up beepers), thorough traffic, and loud obnoxious drunk people yelling out and setting off fire crackers all night! Drunks arguing in the alley under our room, etc. We will definitely NOT be staying here again!
Don't be deceived by any of the good reviews you have read, they are not true.
My sister and her family stayed the weekend as well. There room was on the 3rd floor of the "old" section that had been remodeled. They were not happy with their experience either, although at least their room was better then the floor 2nd floor, but nothing like pictured on the website.
Do yourself a favor.... book somewhere else! You'll thank us for this honest review!

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Balboa Inn? Share your experiences!