“What the Heck!” 3 of 5 stars

760-257-3101
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Description: Site used for the filming of the movie "Bagdad Cafe"
Description: Site used for the filming of the movie "Bagdad Cafe"
Paarl, South Africa
“What the Heck!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

OK, so the place is in the middle of nowhere, is staffed by wierdos and has dodgy food, but that's what it's all about, man. It's a must-stop if you're doing Route 66.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

68% Recommend
Roanoke, Virginia
“GOOD PHOTO OP, BAD FOOD”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

This place is filthy, the food is way over priced, the fountain drinks and iced tea taste like they were made with toilet water, even the cook and waitress were dirty. waitress had black gunk under her finger nails and appeared not to have washed her hands in weeks. this place survives solely on the fact that it was the site for the movie "BAGDAD CAFE" (never saw the movie, so that means nothing to me) as a matter of fact it wasn't even named bagdad cafe until after the movie was made. I went there for the route 66 experience but found they are mostly geared to ripping off French tourist as it appears the movie starred some French actress and had a French director, do yourself a favor, stop, take a couple of photos and move on

• Visited May 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
So. California
“Am I on Candid Camera?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

Ok, we stopped by here because we were hungry...we opened the door and whoa! Poorly kept, not stocked with beverages or some food items on the menu, made me think we were on Candid Camera. If I would have had my choice I would have turned around & left as soon as we walked in. The staff was nice enough, but I felt they weren't the cleanest guys around. Food was pretty pricey too. Menus were printed on copy paper, and dirty. I actually felt very uncomfortable there, between the clutter, and creepy locals that hung out in there.
Food wasn't really bad, but I think I'll pass next time I am going through the desert.

• Visited February 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Take a photo from the car and drive on by!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

We have just completed our Route 66 road trip and stopped here for lunch - really only because we were starving and there wasn't anything before it on the stretch of Route 66 in California.

There was no atmosphere, and rather than a nice trip down memory lane it was just run down. Food was awful. Staff a little odd and busy with bus load of tourists who stopped for a quick photo and to purchase a t shirts - rather than serving us! The place needs alot of TLC. To top it off we had to pay an automatic tip which we didnt want to and they wouldnt remove it - there was only 4 of us.

We say to a drive by photo shoot, do not stop until you get to Barstow.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Liege, Belgium
“You’re not alone”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

On my trip from Vegas to L.A., I wanted to see the Route 66 roadside attraction “Bagdad Café”, located in Newberry Springs, CA. Having seen the 1988 movie, I was expecting a quiet desert spot in the middle of nowhere. It is in fact a little spot in the desert, but crowded with bus tours! I had to wait 45 minutes for the French buses to leave to be able to take a picture. Deceiving.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere