“mold around sink” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 10 hotels in Newark
Bolingbrook, United States
“mold around sink”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

For a Hilton hotel my room did not meet my expectations. The room itself was very nice and clean. But when you went into the bathroom is where I noticed the bathtub had some kind of patch job with caulking that had started to rust. Then I noticed two pieces of tile behind the toilet that were miss aligned coming lose from the wall. Then when you sat on the toilet you could see black mold growing under the lip of the sink. The water in the pool was cold .

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HiltonNF, Manager at Hilton Newark/Fremont, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Hi James B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel and for being our guest. We appreciate your feedback and we’re sorry for the experience that you had with your guestroom bathroom. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments into consideration as we improve our on-property experience.

Thank you again James B.

208 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed in Hilton Newark/Fremont in mid May for 4 nights.

In summary, it is a functional business hotel and many amenities are up-to-standard/reasonably good.

+ Thanks to my Hhonor Gold Membership, a complimentary buffer breakfast is provided. The food varieties are good and the waiters did their best to accommodate everyone's need.
+ The Wi-Fi internet connection is reasonably fast.
+ There is a 24/7 fitness center. Equipments there are sufficient for me to enjoy a great workout.
+ The room is reasonably large.
+ There is a shopping mall across the road with a few dining options.

- The receptionists can smile more. Somehow, some of them do not make me feel welcome.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HiltonNF, Manager at Hilton Newark/Fremont, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Edward-A A,

On behalf of the entire Hilton Newark/Fremont staff, I would like to thank you for your review. We really appreciate your detailed feedback and comments. Our guests' feedback is very important and key because it assists us with our continual improvement on our services and products. Thank you!

We hope to serve you again someday Edward-A A. Have a wonderful summer!
Cypress, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The desk clerks when we arrived were very friendly and accommodating. They made us feel welcome, and made check-in a very pleasant experience. The room was on the second floor, and had a balcony overlooking the pool. With no neighbors above us, the room was quiet, and made for a relaxing, restful stay. We partook of the breakfast buffet each morning of our three nights' stay. The service was extraordinary and attentive.
The only negative was that the room was dated and not as up-to-date as other Hiltons at which I've stayed.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms ringing the pool are quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
HiltonNF, Manager at Hilton Newark/Fremont, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Good day Charles V!

Thank you very much for your review! Our staff is very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are glad that you had a pleasant and relaxing visit here and that you were made to feel welcome right away. Thank you so much for your compliments and kind recognition.

As I've mentioned on TripAdvisor before, we are about to do an extensive renovation to our property. We will be re-doing all of our sleeping rooms and several public space areas. We are all looking forward to this and hope that you will come and enjoy it all with us when everything is completed.

Thank you for being our guest Charles V! We hope to be able to serve you again soon!
new ark, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Closer to Silicon Valley than to San Francisco. Very quiet location even it next to the hwy. Has a bunch of restaurants and food places and the mall right around the hotel. The best of all the Starbucks right across the road. My recent room faced the courtyard and water fountains going during the day. Great landscaping throughout the courtyard offered privacy. The room furniture and especially the beds have been very comfortable. I'm extremely impressed with the overall quality of the room. Every single person we interact with here, from the bell desk, to the housekeepers, to the room service staff, to the bartenders, and especially the managers: every single one is so consistently friendly, helpful, and appreciative of me being a guest, it's unreal. I have never seen a hotel consistently execute this level of service before, and it deserves to be recognized. The restaurant offers a very good food and the bar offers great service. It's usually not too busy and it's a great spot to watch sports in the evening. Simply put, Hilton Newark/Fremont is a special property. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, plus I would for sure come here again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HiltonNF, Manager at Hilton Newark/Fremont, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Hello Val M!

On behalf of our General Manager and our entire staff, thank you so much for your TripAdvisor review! We appreciate you taking the time to recognize our hotel and staff and for your most gracious compliments. Our staff works very hard to ensure that all of our guests enjoy their stay and our accommodations; compliments like yours makes all of the hard work so well worth it! Thank you!

Thank you very much again Val M! We look forward to serving you sometime soon!
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Our son was getting married so we needed a place that would accept pets for the weekend. Found this hotel via internet and called. They charge $50.00 non-refundable for the dog. We never left her in the room alone except to go downstairs for dinner. Great place otherwise.

Dear A TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you very much for your review. We are very happy that Hilton Hotels and it's brands are pet friendly and we are proud that our hotel is a part of this great program. As part of this we are required to and need to charge a $50 pet cleaning fee, which is non-refundable. This is done to ensure that all of our rooms are always well prepared and cleaned accordingly for the enjoyment of all of our guests, and their pets.

Thank you very much for being guest A TripAdvisor Member and congratulations to your son on his marriage! Have a great day!
Santa Rosa, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I'm a business traveler averaging 120-150 nights per year just in Hilton properties, and I've stayed at this location at least 20 different times in the past year. Rarely do I feel compelled to review a property online unless I've either been completely wronged somehow or honestly become so impressed with a place that I have to try and help give it the recognition it deserves.

Hilton Newark-Fremont is not perfect in all regards. From a facilities standpoint, it is an older property, and you'll see references to that in other reviews. Although the age is apparent, the upkeep is top notch, and I've yet to be put in a room with any kind of upkeep or maintenance problem. By the end of the year, it will fully re-brand into a Doubletree and get an extensive remodel, which I'm excited about, although I'm nervous it will impact the rates. Their current rates are among the most reasonable for a full service property in the bay, and I'd really hate to see that change.

The location is decent, with excellent freeway access and options to eat surrounding the property on multiple sides. Auto Mall parkway is one exit down, which allows even more options with all sorts of variety. I stay here when working in San Jose, which is about a 20 minute commute for me each way, but it's worth it to me to stay here.

There's two main types of rooms here: "Tower" rooms and "Garden" rooms. Up until recently, I had only stayed in the tower rooms, until I finally got forced into trying out a Garden room and realized they were just as good if not superior than the tower rooms. While the Tower rooms are perhaps a little bigger and closer to the front desk, the Garden rooms are well kept and a lot of them have large balconies with sliding glass windows and chairs outside. My most recent room faced the courtyard and water fountains going during the day. Great landscaping throughout the courtyard offered privacy, too. The room furniture and especially the beds have always been consistently comfortable. I'm extremely impressed with the overall quality of the rooms.

The restaurant, though the menu is a little eccentric, offers good food and the the bar offers consistently great service. It's usually not too busy and it's a great spot to watch sports in the evening.

However, above all else, the one thing that sets this property completely aside from any other hotel is very simple: the level of service executed by it's staff.

I am not exaggerating when I say I average staying at no less than 100 different hotel properties per year, many but not all of them being Hilton brands. As I said, I probably have a little over 20 different stays at this property so far. I have *never* experienced such consistently outstanding service at a hotel before, and I continue to be flat-out astounded by it.

Every single person I interact with here, from the bell desk, to the housekeepers, to the room service staff, to the bartenders, and especially the managers: every single one is so consistently friendly, helpful, and appreciative of me being a guest, it's unreal. I have never seen a hotel consistently execute this level of service before, and it deserves to be recognized.

Not only that, but they also have a particular front desk clerk, Selina, who is simply phenomenal. There are no words I can really find to describe her other than saying without question, she's the absolute best ambassador of the Hilton brand and Hilton hospitality that I have ever encountered at any of their properties. Any hotel would be absolutely privileged to have her representing them, period.

Simply put, Hilton Newark/Fremont is a special property. It has it's own vibe, it's a little different, it maintains itself very well, and it's representing an extremely high level of service and hospitality every single time I visit.

Previously, I would hold that the Doubletree Bakersfield or Hampton Manteca were my favorite hotel properties, but Hilton Newark finally took over that spot. The people are definitely the biggest thing that make it stand out, and I hope the general manager understands that. As long as the staff remains with the property through this remodel and continues to contribute the same level of service afterward, I'm really excited for what's to come here.

Overall, Highly recommended.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HiltonNF, Manager at Hilton Newark/Fremont, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Hello Bounty8111!

On behalf of our General Manager and our entire team, thank you so much for your TripAdvisor review! We truly appreciate the time that you spent to share your wonderful comments about our hotel and the outstanding compliments that you have for our staff. We do pride ourselves on the service that our staff provides. They all work so hard to ensure that all of our guests are taken care of, making this their home away from home. Compliments like yours makes all of that hard work so well worth it and I will be posting up your review for our entire staff to read and enjoy! Thank you!

Thank you very much for being our loyal guest Bounty8111. We really appreciate your business and support. It all really means a lot to us. We look forward to your continued visits. Thank you again and have a great upcoming Summer!
Redding, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Solid hotel for the business traveler that doesn't offer much. I've been staying here for years out of convenience when I'm in the east bay for business, but I wouldn't stay here for a leisure trip. The rooms are clean but dated; in fact, only within the last year were the TV's in the rooms updated to flat screens. The bar/restaurant area offers nothing in the way of atmosphere for somebody like me who likes to watch sports in the evening. The breakfast in the morning for Hilton Diamond members like me is good and convenient, but I wouldn't pay the asking price if it wasn't free.

This hotel really suffers because of the location. Newark/Fremont doesn't hold much charm, and neither does this hotel so I guess it's a perfect match. The main source of business seems to be tourists from Japan who arrive by the busload daily. As a Hilton property, this one doesn't compare favorably with almost every other one I have stayed in across the country and you can tell that by the rate they charge for the rooms (which is low for Hilton). It's not a bad place and the staff is friendly and efficient, but I would never stay here unless I needed something for a business trip.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HiltonNF, Manager at Hilton Newark/Fremont, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear DHilderbrat,

Thank you very much for your TripAdvisor review. We appreciate your feedback and detailed comments. Our guests' feedback is always very important to us, thank you.

As mentioned before, we are about to do an extensive renovation to our property. We will be re-doing all of our sleeping rooms and several public space areas. This is something that we are all very excited about. There are many good things to come here which I hope you will be sharing with us.

Thank you for being our guest DHilderbrat and for your HHonors membership. Have a wonderful day.

Been to Hilton Newark/Fremont? Share your experiences!