“Underdeveloped & boring location.” 2 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Motel 6 Newark to your Saves list
Motel 6 Newark
Motel 6 Newark
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   5600 Cedar Court / 5601 Mowry Avenue, I-880/Nimitz Freeway at Mowry Avenue, Newark, CA 94560   |
Ranked #10 of 10 hotels in Newark
“Underdeveloped & boring location.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed just for a night at the Motel 6 after hanging out with friends & family attending the San Francisco 49ERS vs. Indianapolis Colts Regular Season NFL Game at Candlestick Park. All hotels in San Francisco were sold out & booked due to the Oracle Convention happening all over 'Frisco so I couldn't get a room for the weekend. Anyway, I'm at the front desk waiting to be acknowledged by an Indian guy (east-Indian, Bangladesh, whatever) that didn't bother to look my way & tell a co-worker of his that I need help. I work in the hospitality services in L.A. & that right there is a big no-no! That guy shouldn't even be working there! A female clerk did come & asked if I need help. I said yes & she looked at the same guy with that look of,"How come you don't want to tell me I have a customer at the window when I am unable to see him since I was some where in the back room?" I've seen this kind of service before & usually let their management know but I was too tired & I wanted to sleep. I wish I got the name of that guy for bad service & the woman that gave me simple & great service. As I walked towards my room I said hello to a chubby looking security guard that didn't bother to reciprocate the greeting. That guy looked like he was high on drugs or drunk on alcohol. The people around the area & or staying there looked a little rugged, thugged out & giving me dirty looks. Since I'm streetwise & grew up in the rough streets of San Francisco & Los Angeles, I know the types that just act as if they are tough but are as fearful as I am sometimes. That's another story. Once I finally got my key card to room 106, the door was jammed a bit & out of place. Looks like it needed to be repaired & or maintained. The room smelled like somebody just smoked cigarettes inside a non-smoking room, the TV had cigarette burns melting the plastic on top of it, the toilet seat had the same issue, the comforter had some paint spots that look like it came from the ceiling that seemed to have new paint from a few days ago & the carpet was filthy with patches of stained dark spots. It cost me $59+tax to stay a night. Is it worth that much? Only if you really need to just sleep. The overall experience was not so great but it could have been worse. Btw, I almost stayed at the EZ-8 Motel just around the corner. I booked it several days before & cancelled it. Place had bed bugs on the bed & I checked-out immediately. I didn't even care about the charge for a late cancellation. What I saw in photos via the internet was truly deceiving.

• Stayed September 2013
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Newark, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. The maintenance and guest service conditions you encountered are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6, and we sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay. Please kindly contact our Guest Relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and our other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I had the misfortune of booking this hotel for a 7 day stay having been seduced by the great price (330$ for 1 person & 350$ for up to 4 people)

I made a reservation online for a two-bed room for 4 people. (the rest of my party was not going to come in until mid week, & i was informed that they had to be physically present to check in. That seemed reasonable
enough. I explained that the rest of the party would not be coming in until mid-week. The woman checking me in pretended not to understand the concept & asked what seemed to be her manager for guidance. Thankfully the manager seemed to understand.) However, i was informed that no two-bed rooms were available or would be available until after 4pm. I said it's fine, just give me a one bed & no it doesn't matter whether it's smoking or not & we'll just deal with what to do about the need for a 2-bed room (the one i reserved) when the rest of my party arrives.

I was then told there were zero rooms available on the side i wanted. I asked whether if i walked through that side i would really see no available rooms. Suddenly a room magically materialized.

Came into the room: tv remote only works to turn channels up so have to go full circle to go back to original channel & have to turn tv on & off manually. Not a big deal. Heat & A/C barely work: not a big deal, after all i planned to be moving into a 2-room bed mid-stay anyway.

Come Wednesday (my stay was Sun - Sun), i go into the office to check my husband in. (having seen the accommodations, he decides he'd rather stay in our just-fumigated house than stay at this motel more than one night). Unfortunately the
same woman who originally checked us in is there. I explain that we want to switch to a 2-bed room (the kind we had initially reserved), she says with a straight face that there are none available. I had just taken a walk around the premises and LITERALLY saw over a dozen two-bed room clean & ready for occupancy, & that's just on the first floor. Additionally a two-bed room is available on my floor. I mention this to the front desk woman. Again, with a straight face (add eye roll) she explains that that room & every other 2-bed room is closed for maintenance.

At this point, i cannot keep a straight face & actually
start laughing at the ridiculousness of this situation. I say "can we just get an extra pillow for my husband?" She clearly pretends to check & says she doesn't have any. I ask if perhaps she can enter one of the dozen "closed for maintenance" rooms & get us one. She says "no".

I say "fine, just let me pay for the one day my husband plans to stay with me" she then informs me that she can only check him in for the rest of the stay thereby charging us 12.60 instead of the 3.15$ actually owed for a 2nd person to join for 1 out of the 7 days. My husband isn't ready to fight over 9$ so we pay for the 2nd person for 4 days though he only plans to stay for 1 day & leave without a switch to the previously reserved 2-bed room & without even an extra pillow.

I understand this isn't a Hilton or Sheraton which is why I'm ok with the shotty tv, cooling/heating & overall worn condition of the room. But seriously, no 2-bed rooms available while I'm seeing over a dozen of them, many with people having checked out that morning? Charging for 4 days for an extra person who plans to stay 1 day because you are too lazy to figure out how to correctly adjust the reservation? Unwillingness to even provide an extra pillow (given that a 2-bed room that i reserved would have come with 4 pillows & you claim to have dozens of rooms closed for maintenance)?

While hardworking Americans are struggling to find jobs, WHY is this person still employed? She single handedly cost this hotel my future business & that of anyone i run across who considers staying here. (i have 3 more nights in this hell-hole left & since i won't be refunded the per-night price of the 7 day reservation with having only stayed 4 nights, I'm going to go ahead & complete this stay

• Stayed August 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

First room a/c did not work. Got a new room which also smelled. I felt so disgusted. Burn marks on cover. I guess peple actually live in rooms people had bags of trash outside doors. One room had a cat and a sigh that said no housekeeping please and window looked dusty. It was the Worst place. Restroom smelled fishy. Also late night a few rooms had doors open and people just roaming around. Save ur money and drive downthe street

• Stayed July 2013
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Newark, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear amer29 - We sincerely apologize for the odor, maintenance issues and room conditions you encountered during your stay. These conditions are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6. Please contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide our guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

So you get a bed, in a room... that you can sleep in! The front desk was very friendly, there are vending machines and laundry and I was impressed with how clean everything was (yes, the bedspread was covered in cigarette burns). Past reviews about doors being left open and people moving around are true... but I was up late and didn't hear a peep. Considering how much I had to spend and the surrounding areas, I was very pleased (I drove up to another Motel 6 in Hayward and left after watching a lot more outdoor activity than what was going on in Newark). The only issue I had is that my toilet made a running noise all night, which was kind of annoying and would probably bother a lighter sleeper.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I generally stay at inexpensive hotels and consider myself pretty easy-going with the bumps and inadequacies one regularly runs into. Honestly I think the town health department should be investigating this property. When I arrived I was told the air conditioning was inoperable in the non-smoking building. It was a record-breaking day of heat over 100F. No discount was offered in lieu of this. I was given the room key so I could see just how hot the room was. The room smelled absolutely horrendous. I'm not sure if someone had smoked in there, or it was just the carpets and fabric in the room. The carpet was overall badly stained and probably not washed in years. The blanket on the bed looked like it wasn't washed in the past decade; it was full of numerous burn holes, with stains on it and pieces of debris stuck in the blanket fibers. I've never seen such disgusting hotel bedding in 30+ years of traveling the globe. When I went to get ice the machine was out of ice and that was the last straw. I knew I would get a bad night sleep just breathing the air in that room. I left without even checking in, even though it was 9pm and I had no idea where else to go.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Redding, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Looking to have a lovely homebase in the Bay Area? This little gem is hidden away in a roundabout area, but it packs a lovely exclusivity. The staff is very gracious, the amenities are adequate, and the fresh, salt-sea blue sky and surrounding flowers and landscaping make this truly a delightful place to reside and relax during a Bay Area holiday.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Redwood City, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

I stayed here for 3 weeks in between apartments/moving. It's cheap...like $37 a night so, you get what you pay for. If you have ever stayed at a Motel 6 before, they are bare bones and basic which is what keeps the price down. This one was no different... I found the staff to e very nice and helpful here which I liked and they have a decent little pool. My room was clean and I had no complaints about it.

The location and entrance to this motel is a bit weird. It took me a few minutes to figure how to get to it. I could see it from the road but there was no entrance...?! That's because you have to drive through the parkig lot of a run down, closed up shopping center to get to it. Strange....but I digress...

To be perfectly honest, I had no problem with my room or anything else at the actual motel. My problem was with the people who were staying there. We are talking full blown white trash screaming matches dropping F bombs left and right in the parking lot at 1 AM on a regular basis, men who like to lay around their rooms drinking with the motel door wide open and others who walk around and talk at the top of their lungs like they were brought up in caves. Real winners stay here. I feel sorry for the people who work here and have to put up with these idiots on a regular basis. Jut because a nightly rate is cheap at a motel doest mean you have to act like you were brought up in a barn to stay there. I would not want to stay here with children. The people are way too trashy and have zero class or respect for others.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to Motel 6 Newark? Share your experiences!