“Motel 6 for under $45” 3 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Newark
and 1 more site!
You added Motel 6 Newark to your Saves list
Motel 6 Newark
5600 Cedar Court / 5601 Mowry Avenue, I-880/Nimitz Freeway at Mowry Avenue, Newark, CA 94560   |
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Newark
New York City, New York
“Motel 6 for under $45”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

So you get a bed, in a room... that you can sleep in! The front desk was very friendly, there are vending machines and laundry and I was impressed with how clean everything was (yes, the bedspread was covered in cigarette burns). Past reviews about doors being left open and people moving around are true... but I was up late and didn't hear a peep. Considering how much I had to spend and the surrounding areas, I was very pleased (I drove up to another Motel 6 in Hayward and left after watching a lot more outdoor activity than what was going on in Newark). The only issue I had is that my toilet made a running noise all night, which was kind of annoying and would probably bother a lighter sleeper.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I generally stay at inexpensive hotels and consider myself pretty easy-going with the bumps and inadequacies one regularly runs into. Honestly I think the town health department should be investigating this property. When I arrived I was told the air conditioning was inoperable in the non-smoking building. It was a record-breaking day of heat over 100F. No discount was offered in lieu of this. I was given the room key so I could see just how hot the room was. The room smelled absolutely horrendous. I'm not sure if someone had smoked in there, or it was just the carpets and fabric in the room. The carpet was overall badly stained and probably not washed in years. The blanket on the bed looked like it wasn't washed in the past decade; it was full of numerous burn holes, with stains on it and pieces of debris stuck in the blanket fibers. I've never seen such disgusting hotel bedding in 30+ years of traveling the globe. When I went to get ice the machine was out of ice and that was the last straw. I knew I would get a bad night sleep just breathing the air in that room. I left without even checking in, even though it was 9pm and I had no idea where else to go.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Redding, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Looking to have a lovely homebase in the Bay Area? This little gem is hidden away in a roundabout area, but it packs a lovely exclusivity. The staff is very gracious, the amenities are adequate, and the fresh, salt-sea blue sky and surrounding flowers and landscaping make this truly a delightful place to reside and relax during a Bay Area holiday.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Redwood City, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

I stayed here for 3 weeks in between apartments/moving. It's cheap...like $37 a night so, you get what you pay for. If you have ever stayed at a Motel 6 before, they are bare bones and basic which is what keeps the price down. This one was no different... I found the staff to e very nice and helpful here which I liked and they have a decent little pool. My room was clean and I had no complaints about it.

The location and entrance to this motel is a bit weird. It took me a few minutes to figure how to get to it. I could see it from the road but there was no entrance...?! That's because you have to drive through the parkig lot of a run down, closed up shopping center to get to it. Strange....but I digress...

To be perfectly honest, I had no problem with my room or anything else at the actual motel. My problem was with the people who were staying there. We are talking full blown white trash screaming matches dropping F bombs left and right in the parking lot at 1 AM on a regular basis, men who like to lay around their rooms drinking with the motel door wide open and others who walk around and talk at the top of their lungs like they were brought up in caves. Real winners stay here. I feel sorry for the people who work here and have to put up with these idiots on a regular basis. Jut because a nightly rate is cheap at a motel doest mean you have to act like you were brought up in a barn to stay there. I would not want to stay here with children. The people are way too trashy and have zero class or respect for others.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

We have two dogs and stay in a lot of Motel 6's. This one is the worst we have encountered. Rug somewhat sticky, black spots in the shower, no washcloths; the area around the motel was trash-strewn. Blankets were stiff and "pilled". The young man at the desk provided good service fixing the air conditioning and explaining the wi-fi, but of course had no power to change the basic conditions in the room. And the wi-fi was slower than mud.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

If you're paying $37 for a motel room in the SF Bay Area, even at a budget property, you have to know that there will be problems. I stayed here more out of curiousity than necessity, wanting to know how any innkeeper can afford to charge so little in an expensive area like this. I still do not know, but let me describe my experience here. The motel is located right off the highway, in an area that may have nice twenty years ago but is now definitely downscale. The main entrance to the property has been blocked by a padlocked metal gate, and pretty much the entire motel is surrounded by cyclone fencing. The only way to access the parking lot is through an opening in the fence, which can only be reached by driving through a derelict shopping center next door. There is no signage anywhere to help you. Checkin was fast and friendly, no complaints there. However I did have a complaint about the first room I was given. As I walked down the corridor I was hit with a strong odor coming from the room next to mine. Its door was wide open. Inside, I saw a large mean-looking dog, a collection of weight-lifting equipment and plastic tarps laying all over the floor and hanging up on the walls and over the window. No human being in sight. Back to the office, where the clerk told me this room belonged to a permanent resident. Apparently this hotel has lots of permanent residents. More on that later. I was given another room, unfortunately facing the highway, but at least far away from that other room. I left the hotel for several hours, and when I returned at about 9:00pm, I found a scene closely resembling the back alleys of Calcutta. Many room doors were open, and in the rooms I could see alotta folks, certainly more than the room was intended to accomodate. I was ready to check out right then, but I was tired and decided to be brave. I locked myself in my room, where I spent the night listening to trucks roaring by on 880 (the volume of traffic never diminishes, even at 4:00am), and the sounds of various human events, arguments, parties, couples in love, all in stereo surround sound and continuing on all night. To be fair, I think the management here is attempting to make the best of it. My room, while not perfectly clean, was shall we say acceptable. There were rips, tears, scratches and burns on all the bedding and furnishing, but nothing that I couldn't live with for a night. The major problem here are the "permanent" residents. They have turned this motel into more of a homeless shelter than anything else. I realize the owners have to take what they can get, but by renting to all these folks the owners have eliminated any chance of this being a low-cost option for travelling families. I wouldn't want my kids VISITING this place for five minutes, let alone staying here. So that's the story. If you're a single MALE traveller and you need a room and you're a heavy sleeper with $37 in your pocket, go for it. Otherwise, stay away.

• Liked — Low price
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
sacramento california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2007

I stay at this hotel often when in the bay area, and have always been treated well, rooms have been cool, or warm which ever was appropriate, the staff has always been amicable and helpful, and it is centrally located to the jobs i have to be on. Price, cleanliness and service keeps me coming back.

• Liked — Location to work
  • Disliked — Noise from Major Highway
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Motel 6 Newark? Share your experiences!