“good place to stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Newark
Downey, California
“good place to stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

This place is just a good place to stay. All of the staff that I have met are very friendly (manager included). I always feel very welcome, when I arrive and thru out my stay. Yes this hotel has been around a while with different names. it's still a nice place to stay because of the staff and it's location. I travel a lot and The Comfort Inn works for me. I will continue to stay here on a regular bases.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Groveland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Discovered this place far enough away from the freeway to avoid traffic noise. They had a handicapped accessible room where the shower head had a hose BUT THE HOSE WAS ATTACHED TO THE WALL. So, once again, a hotel with the right idea but no idea what they really need to do to help the handicapped. Mom, once again, 'made do' with what they provided. I still need to call the hotel and tell them about this.

The room was nice although a little stuffy when we first entered. Fortunately, the window could be opened and the fresh air helped.

Got a good night's rest.

We used the lobby area to play games with my grown daughters (cards). There was another group doing the same. That made it very friendly and enjoyable.

The breakfast spread in the morning was good. Same lobby. Warm, comfortable feeling.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
El Dorado Hills, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Before this place turned into a Comfort Inn, it used to be a Holiday Inn Express and from the looks of it, I can understand why the Holiday Inn chain decided to pull it's flag.

The hotel has seen it's better days, inside and out. We arrived in the evening and the entire parking lot was dark and felt unsafe like my car could easily get broken into. Not sure if their lighting was not working, so I'm hoping it was just that one fluke.

The lobby is far from appealing and the furnishings were quite dated. Upon walking through the hallway to get to the room, it felt creepy as if some drug deal was going on behind one of the guestroom doors. Okay, maybe that's too dramatic but, I didn't like seeing that trash can in the hallway to catch the water from a leaking ceiling.

The room looked clean, but didn't feel clean. There were huge stains on the desk chair and the large corner chair. The stains were so bad, you'd want a towel on it before sitting on it, much less, just to look at. I was just so grossed out I didn't sit on either. The carpets didn't feel clean either so I never walked on it with bare feet. The bed and linen were decent though. Definitely not a fan of the huge tube TV.

The bathroom for the most part was clean. There however was mildew on the caulking around the vanity and near the tub.

Now why on earth would I stay at this hotel? My parents were in town and their organization was hosting their event here as well so I paid them a visit since it's not too far away, not to mention I don't seem them often enough as I should.

Speaking of the event, they had a meeting room that was roughly 1,600sf if I had to guess. They were having an evening dinner and I have no clue why the room was setup classroom style with rows of tables instead of rounds. Maybe it was to maximize the attendance but it was tight. The meeting room was in bad shape and I'd seriously not consider this hotel for your business presentation meeting to potential clients, that's for sure.

Overall, I'd never stay at this hotel again, there are a few better choices in the surrounding area. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: "Add a tip to help travelers choose a good room?" Book another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Camarillo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights while driving back and forth to Washington Medical Center where my daughter-in-law was giving birth to my first grandchild. The hotel is located just off the 880 Hwy. close to lots of shopping malls and restaurants -- very convenient. It's far enough away from all the business and freeways to be pretty quiet -- except for the occasional train whistle and sounds of the big trucks starting their engines in the early morning.

The bathroom was very clean -- I took a couple of baths. I don't do this if I even think for a moment that the bathroom isn't clean enough. The bed was comfortable. I wish they had an in-room fridge -- there was none and the only ice machine that I know of is on the second floor, so if you're on the 1st or 3rd, you have to go up or down to get ice.

The breakfast was good -- they actually had sausage and eggs -- unusual -- most hotels like this one just have the pancake maker and a few danish and toast. They also had fresh bananas and oranges -- Not old fruit ready to be thrown away -- I've seen that in other hotels too.

All in all I would recommend this hotel to anyone needing to stay in Fremont for a few days.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Surprise, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

As a wheelchair user, usually I write about disability issues in hotels, but not this time. The hotel is in need of a remodel or at least a good cleaning. The inside of the shower curtain and some of the bathroom walls had brown splatter on them of unknown origin. The vertical bar holding the shower head was broken, so the show head was only in the lowest position - fine for me on the shower chair, but at crouch level for those who stand in the shower. The message light on the phone constantly blinked, but there were no messages. The phone didn't work some of the time. We reserved a room for 3 - a suite with a pull out couch. We discovered (at 11pm) that the pull out was not made up. The management claimed they thought there were only 2 people in the room - but my reservation was clearly for 3 and had already told them we needed more towels. The pullout bed was also broken - the bottom third of the bed was almost completely unsupported and would fall to the ground if you sat on it.
Breakfast was AWFUL. The sausages were dry lumps of meat (?). No eggs. Even the make it yourself waffles were not the usual type and tasted terrible. No syrup was available.
Over all, very defensive management and a lousy room.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for two weeks and it is a very nice place with large rooms and a decent breakfast. I will stay here again the next time I am in town. Thanks you staff at the Comfort Inn

Room Tip: If you are a handicapped person ask for room 115
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Long Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. Breakfast was the usual fare for a free continental buffet. The staff was helpful and courteous. Our room had a problem with the lamps. The desk clerk moved us immediately to an available suite at no charge.

Room Tip: Ignore petty remarks in reviews
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn and Suites Newark? Share your experiences!