“Mediocre and too expensive” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #3 of 10 hotels in Newark
Chicago, IL
“Mediocre and too expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

It is really more of 2.5 out of 5, but will give it 3 due to friendly staff and cleanliness factor. This is your average Courtyard experience. It is Newark, close to Dumbarton Bridge and highways, so convenient, but it is far from ideal location, in East (smelly part of the Bay) Bay. Service is friendly, rooms are clean and ok, if bland, but walls are paper thin, so sleep and rest quality suffer. What bothers me most here is bad value. Believe or not, I am able to stay in true 5 star Sofitel in Redwood City for the same $$, when available. No comparison, of course. Charging more than $150 for this room in Courtyard is definitely rich. Won't stay again, unless the price is right. Stayed 2 night on business.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Miki S, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark Silicon Valley, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Courtyard Newark Silicon Valley.

You indicated in your review that your recent with us was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

During 2014, we look forward to our refresh of our Courtyard property and its' rooms. As a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. If I may be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

MIKALA SCOTT-PUNAHELE
Front Office Manager
Courtyard by Marriott, Newark Silicon Valley
miki.punahele@marriott.com
510-792-5200

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Reliable and good value. Staff was super friendly and accommodating. I was late, and they were very helpful in finding a late dinner for me. Hotel room was very nice, large and comfy. (Yes, what's up with the shredded curtain?)
Breakfast was good, and did I say that I like their lobby?

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Morrison, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I stayed here as part of a business trip for one week in mid-March 2014.

What initially impressed me was how clean and inviting the grounds and lobby were upon arrival. I met with Ian who checked me in, gave me a quick overview of the services and amenities offered and was very helpful on several occasions as my compadres and I were looking for local places to eat. All of the staff we encountered were very friendly and courteous, but I have to say that Ian was a rockstar.

The fitness room was well furnished, the pool and hot tub outside were clean, and the laundry room was better than fair. The bistro inside the hotel was OK, but very pricey. We decided to seek out refreshments and food at a better price within walking distance, and were not disappointed by what was available.

I stayed in a king room, and had some of the best nights of sleep that I can recall in awhile on a wonderful mattress. Very quiet, clean and comfortable.

The location was fair, having never been in this area before and having to commute across the Dumbarton bridge daily. There is plenty to eat and drink nearby with an abundance of quality sushi, however I didn't see a whole lot of activity for families or bar-hopping, though this being business I didn't try hard to seek it out.

All in all, and excellent hotel with awesome staff, with a good location. If I come to this area again I will definitely be staying here.

Room Tip: Though the rooms do not have a refrigerator and microwaves, you can request them at the front desk a...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We returned again since our December 2013 visit, and stayed overnite in March 2014. Again, we had two rooms, this time for only one night. While most of our prior review remains valid (see "A Good Choice" dated December 2), if doing it over I would only rate it average due to two issues:

In both rooms, the curtains (the sheer ones, not the dark privacy ones) were simply shredded. Has a cat been loosed upon the facility since last time, sharpening its claws? When I mentioned this at check-out, the clerk indicated she was aware and that the hotel will be upgrading this in the future. That's nice, but right now it looks tacky.

My wife forgot her iPhone charger. I was surprised to find that one cannot borrow one from the hotel.

So until they upgrade and replace the curtains (and generally refresh the rooms), I thought it needed to come down a notch from my prior very good to average..

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Miki S, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark Silicon Valley, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey and sharing your experience with the Courtyard Newark Silicon Valley.

You indicated in your response that your recent stay was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

Miki Punahele
Front Office Manager
Courtyard by Marriott, Newark Silicon Valley miki.punahele@marriott.com
510-792-5200
Peoria, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Typical Courtyard hotel. Same modern lobby and bistro areas. Same old not remodeled rooms. Close to a strip mall with lots of little shops. The access road to the hotel seems to be a main cut through for half the city. Kinda scarey once the sun goes down as visibility gets tough. Not a lot of parking. Four out of 5 nights I had to park in the back of the hotel and walk around. Not a big deal except the grass and ground was always wet and made a mess. Not a real walkway around either.

Internet for free is painfully slow. Back to the Mifi! HDMI on the TV didn't work and nobody could figure it out. Checked 2 other rooms, all seemed locked out. Time to be modern and unlock them.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are always better for less noise. Even number rooms face west and overlook the freeway...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of a local tour.

Room was comfortable and clean. Good quality Paul Mitchell shampoo. Lobby was new and provided refreshing iced water with sliced fruits in it near the entrance. Complimentary Starbucks coffee at the lobby in the morning.

Hotel was near Raley's supermarket which we found fresh produce and what we needed to make a quick breakfast before we embarked on our San Francisco tour the next two mornings. Several restaurants and fast food joints within 5-10 mins walk. Location is thus considered very convenient for us.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Miki S, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark Silicon Valley, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay, we know you have many choices and appreciate you staying with us. We're glad you got to enjoy our infused water and complimentary coffee during your stay. It is also pleasing to hear that the nearby grocery stores and shops helped make your stay even more pleasant.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Newark CA. Please contact us at 510-792-5200 If we can be of any assistance in making your future reservations.

Sam Kelly
General Manager Courtyard by Marriott Newark Silicon Valley
34905 Newark Blvd
Newark CA 94560
T:510-792-5200
F:510-792-5255
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I stayed here with my family in several rooms over Thanksgiving. This is a solid choice; reasonable price; clean & comfortable. Lots of free parking. Quiet, despite being near the freeway. A nice (small) gym facility.The staff was accommodating, and moved our rooms so they were near each other.

If you like Courtyard's, you will know what you are getting: nothing special, but a no unpleasant surprises, either.

One heads up for those of you out of towners -- this is not in Silicon Valley, but on the other side of the SF Bay. However, it is well located for access to Silicon Valley (barring the horrific traffic) because it is right near the Dumbarton Bridge. So a trip over the Bridge and there you are (1/2 hour if its the dead of night; no one knows at rush hour).

I can recommend this one..

We stayed here to visit relatives in next door Fremont, and consider it the best of the area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay, we know you have many choices and appreciate you staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Newark CA.

Sam Kelly
Courtyard by Marriott Newark Silicon Valley
34905 Newark Blvd
Newark CA 94560
T:510-792-5200
F:510-792-5255

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Newark Silicon Valley? Share your experiences!