“Standard Courtyard” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 hotels in Newark
Los Angeles, California
“Standard Courtyard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

If you've stayed at a Courtyard in the past five years, you'll pretty much know what to expect here. Nothing too special; the rooms are styled in the same way as rooms that haven't been renovated in I would guess 10 years or so. It actually causes a bit of cognitive dissonance compared to the lobby, which seems to have been renovated more recently. I only stayed for a weekend and wasn't really around much, but overall no major rants or raves. Perfectly fine if you just need a place to stay in the area.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Miki S, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark Silicon Valley, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay, we know you have many choices and appreciate you staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Newark CA.

Please contact us at 510-792-5200 If we can be of any assistance in making your future reservations.

34905 Newark Blvd
Newark CA 94560
510-792-5200

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My experience with the Front Desk Staff and FD Manager has been awful. I faxed a credit card authorization for one night to be charged on my credit card for three guests that I had in my wedding group block. They never processed it until I physically went to the hotel and waited for them to do it while I was there. (I drove 70 miles from home to have this taken care of)
The next request was to process a cash payment on the day of arrival for the same three rooms. I patiently waited because the front desk agent was having issues and couldn’t process it, the front desk manager had to help her and it took about 20 minutes for her to process it (?) I handed Micky [--] (FD Manager) $300.00 to pay one night for three rooms and she gave me back around $40 back for change. I was still waiting for a receipt but it got late and I had to rush to my rehearsal dinner without getting a receipt for the cash payment from her. I figured, I’m safe, right? She is the Manager. BIGEST MISTAKE EVER.
One of the rooms didn’t show the “CASH PAYMENT” when my guest left and His credit card got charged. I went out of the country for my honeymoon and received a call from my guest notifying me about this error. I made several long distance calls trying to get a hold of the FD Manager or General Manager at this point. Neither one of them was in and the GM was on vacation for a whole week. Left a voice mail and never heard back from him.
My guest disputed the charge with his bank because I had witnesses that I paid cash and the charge is still in dispute. However, on 8/16 my credit card was charged for that night. (Keep in mind that I already paid cash for it)
I returned from my honeymoon on 8/29 and spoke with the FD Manager, Micky [--] again and explained AGAIN the whole mistake. She didn’t offer to help me or to research. She took the message for the GM and as of today, 9/6/13, I have not heard from either one.
I JUST HOPE NOBODY ELSE MAKES THE MISTAKE OF NOT GETTING A RECEIPT WHEN THEY PAY CASH, EVEN IF IT TAKES THEIR FRONT DESK STAFF, INCLUDING MANAGEMENT, OVER AN HOUR TO PROCESS A CASH PAYMENT.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
STK2013, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark Silicon Valley, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for letting me know about your billing problem and the lack of attention to detail that was provided by our staff. I do understand your frustration with the lack of follow up on the hotels part and we accept full responsibility for the the confusion with the payment.

We will review your comments and concerns with our staff and will use as a future training tool to improve upon our customer service skills. I reached out to you by phone but was unable to connect and left a message.

We have credited the credit card that is on file in the disputed amount on September 4, 2013. You should appear on your credit card within 5 to 7 business days if not sooner.

Again our sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you have encountered with our staff, I thank you for letting me know of your concerns so that we can improve upon our services.

Florence, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

This hotel is a standard Courtyard. Nice lobby. Friendly staff. There is a large pool and jacuzzi as well. There isn't much near by but you aren't far from a lot of great restaurants. Overall a great location for long business trips in this area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

34905 Newark Blvd
Newark CA 94560
510-792-5200
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Great service by Ms. Aubrey Tulin at the front desk, very helpful and very responsive. We got a great rate at this property because of a family connection that works for Marriott ($39/night base rate), so our value was outstanding. This location was not convenient to the airport but was convenient to family in the South Bay. Wi-fi was free in the room and was reliable. There's free coffee in the lobby, a coin-operated laundermat room, a exercise room and a Starbucks in the lobby. The room was clean and well-cared for. There was no problem getting additional towels, again thanks to Ms. Aubrey. There are several restaurants, most asian but including Subway and other chains, within walking distance. There are also two supermarkets (Safeway and Raley's) close by. Parking is free at the hotel. We stayed three nights total on two occasions in the same week. Good experiences both times. As the headline states, we were told that Marriott was selling this property at the end of May, so I don't if any of this will be relevant after June 1st.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I wasn't able to get a decent hotel near Mountain View so I picked this one. It's located at 880 and 84 freeway so it was easy to reach. The hotel lobby is updated and vert nice. But the rooms aren't. My room is outdated. The futures are old. My room was facing the freeway but at the top level. So the freeway noise wasn't too disturbing. Compared to Residence Inn at the next door, Courtyard is more expensive, breakfast isn't included, and similar type of room and decor. I think it's better staying at Residence Inn than Courtyard. Going to the other side of Bay would require driving cross the bridge (84) and pay the toll, or driving 10 more mile via 237 (no toll).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
La Habra, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The lobby is really nice - however, the attention to the rooms and hallways is lacking. The rooms are dated - on the positive there was a large flat screen TV and nice bedding.

The bistro is convenient as it is on site, but a few things that were frustrating.
1) Making food takes a long time. It is a 1 person operation.
2) I was not feeling well one night and wanted to see if they could drop the food to my room. They would not -therefore, I had to call for pizza. I little tacky customer service - since they have some staff that could have helped.

Staying in Newark if your business or pleasure is taking you to San Jose or Fremont is a long time in the morning with traffic.

I don't plan to stay here again even though I am in the area often.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Arvada, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

What an awesome staff!! From check in to check out, they were great. Room was good, perfect for what we needed. The kid's enjoyed the pool while the mom's took in the Hot tub every night. the towel attendant was so full of kindness and smiles, he was a cheer to be around. The workout room although we didn't use it was small but all one would need. The hotel adjoins with a store which enabled us to make better eating decisions which on vacation was a huge plus!
THANK YOU Marriott!

Room Tip: The King with a sofa sleeper should have a tiny fridge inside where the two queens did not.