“Modern Hotel But Not Quite Silicon Valley” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft Silicon Valley

You added Aloft Silicon Valley to your Saves list
Aloft Silicon Valley
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8200 Gateway Boulevard, Newark, CA 94560 (Formerly W Silicon Valley)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Newark
Santa Monica, CA
“Modern Hotel But Not Quite Silicon Valley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I guess technically the hotel is in Silicon Valley (if you count the east bay as part of Silicon Valley) but it was a bit out of the way. It is over the bridge from the 101 and the traffic over the bridge can be daunting depending on the time of day - although being next to the wild life preserve was interesting. The hotel is modern and clean and the room was huge. Breakfast was really good although the service could be slow at times. This was my first time at the hotel and I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Alexa W, Manager at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Hi there!

Thanks for the recommendation! While we are just over the bridge,we are in the perfect spot to enjoy a little leisure with your business trip. Being next to the Wildlife Preserve is always a bonus for those that enjoy the trails. If you'd like a map, just ask our welcome desk. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Alexa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Mountain View, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The hotel from the outside look nice and the lobby is ok. We checked in and when we went to the room it was right next to the elevator. We tried to call down, but no one answered the phone. So we went down to asked to be moved to a quiet room. The only room that was offered would have been an even louder. I asked to move to a higher, even offer to pay for an upgrade. The front desk agent was unable to accommodate that request. The walls are very thin and you can hear everything in the hallway and the next room. When we finally settled into the room I was going to sit my items on the couch, but there was some strange white stains on the couch so I just placed my thing on the desk. If I was you I would just avoid sit on the couch period. The bathroom shower curtain had mildew at the bottom and they had soap dispensers in the shower. Did we just check into a truck stop or a hostel? soap dispensers! very tacky and cheap. I have stayed at a few hotel both nice and no so nice and I have never see that. The pillow top bed was the most uncomfortable thin pillow top bed I have ever laid on. It was like sleeping on the floor. I was able to get to sleep around 3am because that's when the loud traffic from the elevator to the rooms died down. An was woken up around 9am by people going to the elevator.
Now during the week I imagine this problem would not be so bad since I'm sure they are fully staffed during the week and you have business people who would go to sleep around 8-9pm. If you have to stay here on the weekend and want a quite night sleep, I say stay at somewhere else, there are other hotels a short drive away. I had never stayed in Aloft and I figure the hotel would be nice since at one time it was a Whotel, I was wrong. Now I see why it's no longer a W. Will not say here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Alexa W, Manager at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I assure you, what you described is not typical of our hotel. While we can't guarantee quiet rooms, we do our best to take care that our guests have everything they need throughout every stay. If you have a specific room request, please reach out to us prior to your stay and we will be glad to do everything we can to accommodate you.

As a specialty select hotel, we are going to offer different amenities than the W Hotels you are use to. Unlike many W Hotels we offer a kitchenette, and all of our rooms are spacious suites. Our guests commonly enjoy taking full advantage of the kitchenette, living room, desk area and large bathroom.

I hope we can welcome you back for a different experience.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

It's my first time staying at this hotel. Love it. Very clean and modern design. Free parking and wi-fi. Can't beat that. And I usually like my room a bit on the cool side and the AC didn't disappoint me. I actually have to turn it up a little cause it's way too cold. Haha...I will be back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! It sounds like you had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed all the amenities we have to offer. On your next visit, spend a relaxing time poolside or hang out in Bar WXYZ for a refreshing cocktail.

See you soon,
Newport Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

The hotel itself is fine, the room was large, and the staff was very friendly. And, I greatly appreciate that they were able to accommodate my early check-in. Unfortunately, the faucet dripped loudly, the shower was not clean (there were several obvious hairs of varying color and sizes so not sure when it was last thoroughly cleaned) and my window looked out onto the roof. I was not there for the view, so I don't mind that it wasn't the best, but I felt unsafe as anyone walking on the roof would be able to walk directly up to my window, so kept the curtains closed the entire time. If they cleaned properly I would probably stay again as it was easy to access for meetings in the Palo Alto/San Jose area, but I won't give repeat business to a hotel that doesn't properly clean in between guests.

Room Tip: Try for a higher floor to avoid the roof issue.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Alexa W, Manager at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We take the cleanliness of our hotel very seriously. If you find any part of your room not to your satisfaction, please let us know and we will quickly take care of it. If there is going to be any roof maintenance, we will always let our guests know. At no point to do we just allow people to walk on our roof. Our location and spacious rooms make us the perfect choice for business travel. I hope we can welcome you back soon for a difference experience.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Stayed three nights on a business trip. Very nice hotel with a sleek and modern room --- actually a spacious studio with sofa, kitchenette, modern bathroom with separate shower. Million dollar view of the wetlands, bay, and mountains. Didn't use the pool, but it looked inviting.

The only damper was that the hotel charged us for the 15.00 continental breakfast that was included in the rate as per web site, reservation confirmation email, and record under Starwood guest number. It took several calls and emails to finally get credit for the breakfasts. No apologies were offered. Just a smirky email along the lines, I checked your reservation. No breakfast is included. Show us the confirmation, and I'll credit you the 3 breakfasts. All along the rate on the web site still included breakfast, but then mysteriously disappeared. Oh, and Starwood points also were not automatically deposited.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Hi there,

We apologize for the confusion. We always ensure our guests receive the best possible service and are well known for delivering on that. We would love to invite you back for a different experience. We have brought your feedback to the appropriate individuals for training so that this doesn't happen again.

Hillsborough, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for business and it was lovely. The staff and the room were top notch. Upon arrival, I was told that the restaurant just closed. However they made a wonderful sandwich nonetheless. The rooms are very clean. It is important for anyone staying at this hotel to know that you will need a rental car. There isn't a lot of shops and such within walking distance. Also, if you are a runner, you will love the cool mornings and jogging in the area. BTW, Uber is available.

• Stayed June 2014
Alexa W, Manager at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Hello,

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! While we aren't close to many shops, we are in a great location to access many corporations in the area. The wildlife preserve is great for running, walking or hiking. We even have a few tools available for you to take full advantage of observing the surrounding wildlife.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Great check in. Needed two beds and was given a two king bed room at no additional charge. I was offered a late checkout, most other places I have to ask. Very nice, clean and spacious rooms. I will consider Aloft on my next trip.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hello,

We would love to see you again. We are always glad to honor any requests if they are available. If you need anything during your stay, don't hesitate to ask.

Alexa

Been to Aloft Silicon Valley? Share your experiences!