“Nice stay, great staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft Silicon Valley

Save Saved
You added Aloft Silicon Valley to your Saves list
Aloft Silicon Valley
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8200 Gateway Boulevard, Newark, CA 94560 (Formerly W Silicon Valley)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #2 of 10 hotels in Newark
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“Nice stay, great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed at this hotel for business and it was lovely. The staff and the room were top notch. Upon arrival, I was told that the restaurant just closed. However they made a wonderful sandwich nonetheless. The rooms are very clean. It is important for anyone staying at this hotel to know that you will need a rental car. There isn't a lot of shops and such within walking distance. Also, if you are a runner, you will love the cool mornings and jogging in the area. BTW, Uber is available.

• Stayed June 2014
Alexa W, Manager at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Hello,

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! While we aren't close to many shops, we are in a great location to access many corporations in the area. The wildlife preserve is great for running, walking or hiking. We even have a few tools available for you to take full advantage of observing the surrounding wildlife.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Great check in. Needed two beds and was given a two king bed room at no additional charge. I was offered a late checkout, most other places I have to ask. Very nice, clean and spacious rooms. I will consider Aloft on my next trip.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Alexa W, Manager at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Hello,

We would love to see you again. We are always glad to honor any requests if they are available. If you need anything during your stay, don't hesitate to ask.

Round Rock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I stayed in this hotel when it was a "W" hotel, and it was in need of some work. We used to joke and call it the "V" hotel (Half of a "W").

The hotel was shut down for 3 months and underwent a 'remodel'. I was excited to go back and see what had been done to change it. Lipstick is the best way to describe it. Now keep in mind this is a CLEAN, NICE hotel and now that it has the "Aloft" brand, it's a great value!!!

They basically 'ligthened' the hotel up from the normal dark "W" standards. The rooms got new desks, entry way wood floors, and a fresh coat of paint. Otherwise, they are the same rooms that you used to pay "W" money for at an "Aloft" rate.

I stay here quite often when travelling for work and think the staff is great! I've never had any issues and never have any reservations about staying here!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
LOS ANGELES
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

This was our first time staying in an Aloft property. We love the "boutiquey" feel of the hotel, very nice, very modern touch. Truly a vision of the W Hotel , which we also happen to love. The front desk was very convenient and the staff super helpful. We came in pretty late from driving from LA and yet they were able to grant our request of double beds for the kids' room and close proximity to ours. We got a pretty quiet room and much larger than we expected. It seemed bigger than the usual mini suites with a mini kitchenette and a good size fridge and a microwave. The bed was amazing, the bathroom was very comfortable, oh and we love the Bliss bath products in the shower, this reminds me of the bath products in the SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills.

We had a nice stay and would definitely consider staying here again and other Aloft locations.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I recently checked in at this hotel where I have stayed many times. On this occasion, I was in a hurry and needed to get back to my office and I COMPLETELY forgot my wallet with cash and credit cards but needed $5 to get back across the bridge to my office. After explaining my predicament to the front desk clerk, she went to talk to the manager on duty who appeared with $5 in cash which he assured me could be charged to my room account which would be set up against the credit card they had on file for me. Now that is what I call going that extra bit further! It's when you are in trouble that you most need help. Other hotels might just have said : sorry - nothing we can do!
This hotel is in a quiet location but very convenient for Palo Alto as it is just on the shores of the East Bay and adjacent to the Dunbarton bridge. It has large suite style rooms, big TV screens that allow external inputs (for your laptop etc) a sink and a microwave apart from the usual amenities one has in a hotel room.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of the wetlands that flood on the tide. If you like a water view, see if you...
Green Features: For some additional benefits, you can opt for no servicing so no towel change and no wasteful bed linen change every day. This is entirely optional and can be selected for individual days or the whole stay at guest' option.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Alexa W, Manager at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Hi Michael,

Thank you for sharing your experience! I'm glad we could help you out in a bind! It was no trouble at all! Our rooms offer that little extra you need to enjoy a relaxing and easy stay. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask.

See you soon,
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Upon check-in, I was told that there would be a high school reunion taking place at the hotel during my stay, but I was assured that they had assigned me a designated "Quiet Room". The room was spacious and had a kitchenette and separate seating area, but the decor and amenities are very very minimalist and the blackout shades were much appreciated.

The room overlooked the pool and hot tub, which throughout the day seemed to be filled with children. The first night was fine, but "Quiet Room" was not so very quiet Saturday night (the night of the high school reunion), as the lobby had failed to mention that the event would be taking place in a room next to the pool area with the doors wide open. I could deal with the loud music and shouting until midnight (the time which the front desk had assured me the event would be over by), but the noise echoing in the pool area right into my room persisted until well past midnight. A little after 2 AM, the fire alarm went off, which happens (through no fault of the hotel), but there was a seeming lack of staff, as guests were milling around with no direction or status updates whatsoever (which I'm sure the guests with pets and young children did not appreciate).

The staff clearly needs more training, especially in dealing with emergency situations, or the hotel needs to hire more staff, as there were many times when the front desk staff were clearly overwhelmed. I opted out of housekeeping services so was told to call housekeeping if I needed extra linen or water bottles, etc. Earlier in the evening, I had called down to housekeeping several times, and then the front desk a few more times. I couldn't get anyone on the line so I had to down to the lobby to make a housekeeping item request. The front desk was inundated with calls and guests trying to check in, so I suggest that the hotel review its staffing needs. I understand that the concept of the hotel is to be bare bones/minimalist (for instance, no bell staff but airport carts are available for luggage; self check-in kiosks; etc.), but the current staff is not able to handle guests' needs, especially when at full capacity whilst hosting an event. This is a great hotel, very clean and a good value, but my experience was less than ideal.

Room Tip: Ask to see if there are any events occurring during your stay and request a room that isn't pool...
Green Features: I was given the option of forgoing housekeeping for my 2-night stay for extra Starwood points. I thought this was a great idea, as changing towels and linens seems ridiculous for such a short stay.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Alexa W, Manager at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Hi Janet,

We do our best to ensure each of our guests enjoy a quiet, comfortable stay. While the room you were placed in might not have been the best choice for your stay, it does have exceptional views of the pool. I am sorry to note our front desks did not take note on the location of this room in relation to the high school reunion.

Our entire team has been trained on how to handle emergency situations including what to do in case of a fire. There are several signs located on every floor mapping out the best direction in which to quickly exit the hotel. We are happy to assist in case of an emergency as well.

We do offer many of the same services other hotels do, but try to keep things simple. Our staff does answer requests as quickly as possible. I hope we can welcome you back soon.

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

My wife, 5 yr old, and I thought we'd do a mini excursion outside of the South Bay, so we headed up to Aloft Silicon Valley for a weekend getaway. I used to stay there because the price is always competitive, but now we stay because the accommodations (especially for the price) can not be matched. They have a little package called "Aloft Camp for Kids" which we especially enjoy. A small air mattress and a goodie bag with games for me and my son. The simple joys like the awesome pool, modern design elements, and great staff keep us going back again and again. I guess my favorite part about it all is that it's not over the top.

Before we became parents, we loved staying at the W, but my recent stay at the W San Diego made me realize I'm at a different stage in my life. With Aloft, I can still appreciate modern amenities and design, while making sure my wife and little guy have what they need to. Our stay was so great there, I plan on looking for places to visit where I can find an Aloft in close vicinity. Thanks Again Aloft for our great stay.

Room Tip: My wife appreciates the suite with more space, but I thought the standard room on the 1st floor was...
Green Features: We appreciated the recycle bin within the room. Also the five dollar credit to reuse the linen's is great.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us! I am so glad to hear your entire family enjoys staying here! If you need anything at all leading up to your next stay, please reach out. We'd be glad to help make your stay as comfortable as possible. This Aloft is a little different than others in the sheer size of our rooms and the full service dining option. I hope to see you all back soon!

Alexa

Been to Aloft Silicon Valley? Share your experiences!