“Quiet Weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft Silicon Valley

You added Aloft Silicon Valley to your Saves list
Aloft Silicon Valley
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8200 Gateway Boulevard, Newark, CA 94560 (Formerly W Silicon Valley)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Newark
Lafayette, California
“Quiet Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Being that this hotel mainly serves worker bees, it was very quiet on a weekend. The purpose of our visit was a weekend to work on our small business planning for the upcoming year. When I told this to the young lady at check-in she upgraded us to a bigger room at the end of the hall surrounded by vacant rooms. Service was excellent. The bed and the bath were great, as expected from a SPG property. Nice pool/hot tub/courtyard area. There is also a nice interior lounge and bar. Free wifi, but it wasn't the fastest. Great choice in Newark, don't hesitate.

Room Tip: mini fridge and microwave in the room for your snack attacks
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Alexa W, Manager at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for the kind words. i am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and were able to work on your business plan in a quiet atmosphere. Our rooms provide a great workspace with a small kitchenette area, making it perfect for fixing your coffee fix. XYZ Bar is perfect for grabbing some light bites and cocktails after a hard day’s work. On your next stay, try dinner at our restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes,
Alexa W.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
los angeles, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We chose the Aloft for a weekend visit to Stanford for a football game. We used SPG points and cash. This hotel is very well kept and user friendly. I am so tired of being nickeled and dimed to death on extra charges.The parking is free, wi fi is free, bottled water is complimentary and the hotel is pet friendly Aloft is a breath of fresh air. The check in staff (sorry I didn't get your names) were friendly and accommodating. The entire vibe here is hip, chill and very personal. The rooms are quite large with mini kitchens, king size beds and 42 in flat screens. We have stayed at a variety of SPG hotels and this is by far my favorite...Keep up the good work Aloft...we will definitely be back!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay and named us your favorite Starwood Hotel! See you next time!
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I stayed in Aloft Silicon Valley twice during the summer of 2013. It has a convenient location, within 15 minutes' driving from Palo Alto and 5 minutes away from several descent restaurants. The staffs are very friendly. It also provides free parking!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I was in the area for a business trip over from London and was coming off the back of a series of long trips, so I was pretty shattered by the time I arrived. Pretty much everything at Aloft helped me back into a reasonable frame of mind.

Due to some complexities with the booking for myself and a colleague, there was a horrible mess to unpick at check-in, but it was handled (and fixed) with charm and efficiency.

The room was large and its facilities were excellent. I didn't have a single problem with anything while I was there, and I strongly approve of the 'bonus Starpoints or cash voucher for taking the "green" no-housekeeping' offer.

I had dinner my first night and a couple of breakfasts - the former was very good, the latter were okay. My biggest breakfast complaint was understanding whether I was having the buffet or a la carte: when at the buffet one morning I was offered toast, which seemed to change what I was charged, but on another occasion it didn't.

The hotel's location is a little odd - it was great for my meetings, but generally feels a bit middle-of-nowhere. We originally intended to cab from SFO but the client we were visiting said I should hire a car or we'd be completely stuck there outside the work day, and that was very good advice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Newark, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We usually use Palo Alto hotels for our meetings BUT I have to say this one is just 10 mins from Palo Alto AND was very well worth the journey across the Dumbarton. The meeting space is fabulous, you can do lunches outside, weather permitting and it is absolutely fabulous to do. All of our participants who normally stay in Palo Alto hotels said they would love to stay at this hotel, rooms were spacious and very well furnished. Staff was super friendly and helped to make our meetings seamless. I would definitely use this hotel for meetings as well as lodgings in the future !!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your meetings held at our hotel. We're glad you enjoy our flexible meeting space, friendly team and location. If you have questions about future events, please don't hesitate to reach out to our sales department! Thanks!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I'm usually a Marriott guy, but I ended up staying at this Aloft during the week for a business trip. I must say, I much preferred the Aloft over the Courtyard I stayed in over the weekend. The style of the hotel (lobby, room, furnishings) is quite modern and sleek, though it's hard to say whether it'll feel dated in a few years.

Service was good if not great, but I got upgrade to a suite both weeks I was there, so I can't really complain. The suites are quite roomy, with a sitting area, bedroom, full bathroom with a tub and a separate standing shower, and a small kitchen area (sink, fridge, microwave). Views aren't exactly stellar, but that's what you get for Newark, I suppose.

All in all, a good stay. I'd definitely come back.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
We are so glad you made the switch. It was a pleasure to have you. Our suites are great for longer stays since they do offer a great workspace and the kitchenette. I'll be glad to pass along your compliments.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

All the best,
Alexa W.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

A hip hotel in a convenient location near the highway, Staff were friendly, parking and internet were free, and we got upgraded to a "suite" style room (larger than a typical Aloft room, with a near-full kitchen).

This spacious room showed some of the growing pains of this recently opened Aloft-- the kitchen was completely bare-- no utensils, pots, pans, nothing but paper cups for the coffee maker. We were able to borrow wine glasses from the downstairs bar). The desk was missing its office chair (awkward for laptop usage). The windows overlooked a smaller office building behind the hotel.

The usual Aloft gym was small but outfitted with a decent selection of equipment. The lobby seemed larger than usual.

At first glance the hotel appears to be alone in a business park but a short 1-2 miles away is a commercial drag with a bunch of dining options, including a couple of taco shops, one of which the check-in clerk recommended.

I noticed a lot of reviews comparing this facility to when it was a downscaled W-- it's not a W anymore, so that seems a useless comparison to make. If it had been a Hilton Garden Inn before, would you compare it to that?

It's hard to go wrong with Aloft, the quality for value, modern design aesthetic, and hip lobby/bar scene are always welcome at this inexpensive price point (only a few bucks more than generic motel/hotels).

Despite the growing pains of the "new" facility, definitely recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Aloft Silicon Valley? Share your experiences!