“Modern stylings” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft Silicon Valley

Save Saved
You added Aloft Silicon Valley to your Saves list
Aloft Silicon Valley
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8200 Gateway Boulevard, Newark, CA 94560 (Formerly W Silicon Valley)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Newark
Los Angeles, California
“Modern stylings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I'm usually a Marriott guy, but I ended up staying at this Aloft during the week for a business trip. I must say, I much preferred the Aloft over the Courtyard I stayed in over the weekend. The style of the hotel (lobby, room, furnishings) is quite modern and sleek, though it's hard to say whether it'll feel dated in a few years.

Service was good if not great, but I got upgrade to a suite both weeks I was there, so I can't really complain. The suites are quite roomy, with a sitting area, bedroom, full bathroom with a tub and a separate standing shower, and a small kitchen area (sink, fridge, microwave). Views aren't exactly stellar, but that's what you get for Newark, I suppose.

All in all, a good stay. I'd definitely come back.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Alexa W, Manager at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
We are so glad you made the switch. It was a pleasure to have you. Our suites are great for longer stays since they do offer a great workspace and the kitchenette. I'll be glad to pass along your compliments.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

All the best,
Alexa W.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

A hip hotel in a convenient location near the highway, Staff were friendly, parking and internet were free, and we got upgraded to a "suite" style room (larger than a typical Aloft room, with a near-full kitchen).

This spacious room showed some of the growing pains of this recently opened Aloft-- the kitchen was completely bare-- no utensils, pots, pans, nothing but paper cups for the coffee maker. We were able to borrow wine glasses from the downstairs bar). The desk was missing its office chair (awkward for laptop usage). The windows overlooked a smaller office building behind the hotel.

The usual Aloft gym was small but outfitted with a decent selection of equipment. The lobby seemed larger than usual.

At first glance the hotel appears to be alone in a business park but a short 1-2 miles away is a commercial drag with a bunch of dining options, including a couple of taco shops, one of which the check-in clerk recommended.

I noticed a lot of reviews comparing this facility to when it was a downscaled W-- it's not a W anymore, so that seems a useless comparison to make. If it had been a Hilton Garden Inn before, would you compare it to that?

It's hard to go wrong with Aloft, the quality for value, modern design aesthetic, and hip lobby/bar scene are always welcome at this inexpensive price point (only a few bucks more than generic motel/hotels).

Despite the growing pains of the "new" facility, definitely recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
North Reading, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

The rooms here are much larger than I expected. I have stayed here several times and the rooms are large, clean and the staff is so helpful and friendly. Irene at breakfast went out of her way to be super friendly and helpful and when I mentioned my early schedule for the day of my departure, she had my breakfast ready when I arrived at the restaurant at 6:30am when it opened. That service is hard to find! I'll be back for that reason!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was a pretty quiet room and much larger than I was expecting. A nice touch were the shades that fit snugly and blocked light well - I wish all hotels had that. Bedding was comfortable and they had enough outlets for me to charge my armada of personal electronics.

The lobby was very noisy but had a decent snack bar. Front desk people were friendly and efficient.

Access to the Dumbarton freeway was straightforward. Only minor not about the location was its lack of proximity to good coffee.

Otherwise, had a nice stay and would consider them again without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2013
Evanston, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I've stayed here twice so far, and both times was welcomed with wonderful service. William and Evelyn, both working the front desk, are always very helpful with accomodations, answering questions about the area, engaging in conversation, and smiling all the time.

Miguel and Leanne, at the bar, are both conversational and make a solo dinner more enjoyable. And Irene (breakfast service) in the morning is one of the sweetest people in hospitality that I've ever met.

The only thing that will make this property a bit better would be a lounge!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Breckenridge, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband is working in San Jose for a few months and I’m here too….we stay in San Jose during the week and head north to stay with family on the weekends and we’re trying to get stays/night at SPG properties so we decided to stay at the Aloft Silicon Valley in Newark on Sunday nights. We’re booked for every Sunday night through October. Our first one-night stay here was mid-August. The parking lot was packed. We decided since it was for one night only to bring in some of our luggage and left one small carry-on and a bag with rollerblades in the back of our car. We got in around 11pm, parked in a lighted parking spot (actually underneath a light). We were driving a Honda Fit with tinted windows of which I covered the bags in the back (a very small area) with the cargo cover while we were at the front lobby area after I unloaded the other bags to take up to the room. Anyway, around 8am we got a call that our car had been broken into…the back window smashed and the bags stolen. Another car was also broken into. We have been told that this is the first time this has happened and they asked us to not post a negative review because of the potential impact on their business. We did have an out of state license plate.

We realize being in the city/near cities that it is important to keep valuables out of sight, that is why we covered the bags with the cargo cover and parked our vehicle next to the hotel building underneath a street/parking lot light. Typically we bring everything inside but on this occasion did not for the reasons I address above and below

To the hotel’s credit they do have a security guard who patrols the entire property from 10pm to 6am. But that includes the interior of the property so there is no guard on duty outside for the entire time. There is one security camera but it’s for an exterior door, not for the parking lot. I am writing this review not to punish the hotel but because I would want to know if I was traveling through I would want to know if the area is safe. Otherwise I would look to stay somewhere else. It looked like a perfectly safe area, mainly office buildings and then there is a neighborhood about 1-2 miles down the street. The Newark Police took a report. The night manager was helpful, in that he offered to help us clean up the broken glass in our car. This break-in cost us (and our insurance company) in total $4,700 between repairing the back window and other damage to the car to the luggage stolen and what was inside (Kindle, prescription eyeglasses, nice watch) and rollerblades, etc.

While I understand it is not the hotel’s responsibility to guard our vehicle, I think they need to take some additional precautions for their hotel guests.

Because of this we are cancelling our reservations for the next 7-8 weeks as we don’t feel safe parking here and are soured over this.

We stay at a hotel property in north San Jose/border of Milpitas/Santa Clara (for the past 3.5 months) and have left stuff in the back with the cargo cover pulled. Maybe it’s the area here, but if so, than I think hotel properties need to take additional steps to help facilitate/provide for a safe environment for their guests to park their vehicles without having to remove every item out of the car.

One other note: we are SPG Platinum members and arrived late as I said above (11pm-ish) and was given a 1st floor room. I made the reservations 2 weeks in advance. Unfortunately, SPG does not allow the member to select or type in what floor preferences (Hilton does) e.g., high floor, away from elevator. But I would suggest most guests would prefer a higher level room, esp. being a Platinum member. So this was a disappointment….we were switched to a handicapped accessible room as we were told that was all that was left. We believe as Platinum members we should have received more/better consideration for a room on a higher floor at minimum. I understand first come first serve but I can’t imagine every guest that stayed in the hotel that night was a Platinum member; the highest SPG level a member can have and given priority.

P.S. Breakfast is $15+/- per person, expensive for what was offered....note: we did not partake.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Northbrook, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed once in W Silicon Valley, and decided to stay in Aloft now, primarily based on the cost factor. Could use some of my Starwood points for one of the three night stays. This is more like 3.5 stars, but not quite 4. Location is definitely not the best, absolutely nothing around, and their lounge and breakfast are quite mediocre in terms of selection and quality. However, it is only 15-20 minutes to downtown Palo Alto, the heart of the Valley. The service and staff were very pleasant, liked that! The room was also quite good, no complaints. The whole place does look fresher than during W days. The gym is tiny, and not much equipment.... What I don't understand is high price. Come on, it is Aloft, not Westin, W, Sofitel or Marriott. This is poor value proposition. Will consider staying there again, of the price is right.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for all of your feedback. We're glad you liked the refresh of the hotel and our friendly talent! We are working to improve our breakfast experience. Hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Been to Aloft Silicon Valley? Share your experiences!