“not an Aloft at all...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft Silicon Valley

Save Saved
You added Aloft Silicon Valley to your Saves list
Aloft Silicon Valley
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8200 Gateway Boulevard, Newark, CA 94560 (Formerly W Silicon Valley)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #2 of 10 hotels in Newark
Gerlingen
“not an Aloft at all...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Aloft means to me, young people, stylish atmosphere, Loft-like rooms, a pool table - Aloft. Been to some of them and all "more or less" are Aloft-like. Cupertino was sold out, Millbrae to far away, so why not trying the "new" Aloft in Newark... that´s what i thought.

Approaching the hotel, it looks like any other given hotel, but NOT like an Aloft - okay. Entering the lobby, the stylish reception, no music, no lounge like atmospehere, more standard Hampton Inn, Embassy Suites style (without the free breakfast).

Rooms, standard Hotel room nothing special, nothing Aloft in there (some W like bed furniture and a very basic bathroom...)

All clean and okay, but far away from what you (at least I) expect(ed) from an Aloft.

Dear Starwood guys, rebrand that hotel to a Four Points, this will fit, but what is expected from a carefully build Aloft experience is completely missing (Bliss soap excluded).

Room Tip: Go to Cupertino or Millbrae if you want a real Aloft
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I've spend 10 nights in the new branded Aloft hotel, formerly "W Silicon Valley" .... Rooms are pretty much the same, but the nice couch and nice furniture were gone ... all the nice Bliss soap and shampoo gone as well.... Instead of the nice small bottles, you will find a dispenser in the shower .... When I was there, 3 things annoyed me:
- Lots of noise as the re-branding was still going on
- Random way of cleaning my room .... Sometime very well done, sometime not so good.
- Fitness room still not good, poor equipment.

NOW, SPECIAL AWARD TO .... the bar and reception staff! They are excellent, very kind, willing to help and accommodate you. They are friendly while still being professional ... Every evening the bar was a mandatory stop as the atmosphere was really great.

I will keep going there as the value price vs. service is still very good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback. We will review your comments in our next team meeting to ensure we're delivering a great experience. We will pass along your kudos to our W XYZ Bar talent! Hope to see you again if your travels bring you to Silicon Valley.
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I like this hotel, the rooms are spacious, clean and welcoming. The bar has friendly and prompt service. All the Staff are professional and courteous.
The beds are very comfortable.
The achilles heel is the lack of a restaurant - there is bar food but i was there for over a week and it does not offer the variation for a longer period of time. There is nothing close by either!
Having said that i would definitely stay here again.

Metro West Massachusetts, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This Starwood property began life as a W built primarily for Sun Microsystems traveling employees, but soon became orphaned and forced to survive on it's own as Sun's eventual decline vastly reduced the number of guests. As a W, it was always good and occasionally great - but for those Starwood regulars used to a full on W experience, some were left non-plused. Not me - I had always been treated like family. And so it is w/ the new Aloft - while not all of the W employees stayed through the makeover, many did - and I was greeted warmly and enthusiastically by first name on this first stay at the Aloft and being a Starwood Platinum/Lifetime Gold. The lounge and lobby area has been entirely remodeled - more spacious, better lighting, all in all a very positive impression. New concrete LED lit bar to be installed w/in days. New carpets, new wall paper, new couches, but the in room amenities are gone (save for coffee), and almost indistinguishable from when it was a W. To be honest, this property is way more fitting of the Aloft brand than the W brand - as an Aloft it has found it's niche - but does crack me up that they couldn't get the "Wet" out of the bottom of the pool....shout out to Miguel and Cindy - they will take care of you - best wishes to Scotty who has moved on to run Manor West in SFO.

Room Tip: Garbage pickup is early AM on the bay side, it makes a hell of a noise if on the 1st or 2nd floors...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for sharing! We are delighted to hear that your Aloft experience was a great one and that you felt welcome upon arrival. We'll pass along your kudos to the associates you mentioned. Hope to see you soon!
Woodinville, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Was worried when I booked this hotel, comments I read made this property appear questionable and Dumbarton bridge traffic for an early meeting is always potential for a missed meeting. Happy to say, both the hotel and the bridge worked out great.

The good: Had a large corner room, more like a suite, with fridge, sink and microwave in the seating area, huge flat panel almost a room divider and great king size bed. Food was continental in the lounge, also fine. Service was great, from check in to food service staff is great.

The not so good: Room has been updated, but bathroom for example is showing a bit of wear, tiles loose in the floor and the hinged bed headboard "Wings" didn't work on one side blocking access to the AC socket behind. A minor point, lamps aren't slaved to the wall switches, you're running around turning on/off lamps in the room.

All in all, would I return? I'm apt to say yes if I'm doing meetings in the Palo Alto area, the drive time in was great.

Room Tip: I don't think road noise is really an issue for any rooms given it's distance from the freew...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback of our new Aloft hotel. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and that it worked well for your early meeting. Thank you for your patience as we work through the updates being made to the new hotel. We hope you choose us again for your next business or leisure trip.
Cork , Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I've stayed in this Hotel a few times before. This was when it was the W. It's now changed to the Aloft. While it has had a bit of a renovation ( a bit brighter than the previous decor) nothing really has changed. The two plus points for me would be the Bed ( I love the Bed & I always sleep well ) and the complementary WiFi. Plastic Cups in the bathroom ?? No personal toiletries worth talking about , just soap and those shampoo/bodywash dispensers in the shower. On one of the nights they forgot to clean my room, I was back late and had to arrange for fresh towels. You would think would be one of the basic services a Hotel would be expert in ( not missing a room clean ). Also, when I checked in I was given my Key and Room Number. When I went up to my room my key would not work. I tried many times. When I made the trip back to reception I was told I was given the wrong room number. Again, I would think giving out correct room numbers is what a Hotel should be able to do.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our Aloft bed and complimentary WiFi throughout the hotel. We will share your review in our next team meeting with housekeeping and our front desk. Thank you for your understanding as we work through the changes of switching brands from W to Aloft.
Palo Alto, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This Starwood hotel was a W until recently changed into their new Aloft brand. It's been slightly remodeled with a juvenile decor trying to attract 20-somethings. The rooms are identical to the W with a different colored bench and couch, kitchenette and comfy bed, nice bathroom (very small shower but decent sized tub). However, at the W you can expect a bathrobe, several sets of towels, nice toiletries, glasses made of glass, an honor bar w/nice selection of snacks (& condoms) and competent service. Aloft's room had no trash can, no menu or info. about the hotel, no mini-bar or snacks, dead batteries in the remote, plastic cups in the bathroom, no robe and only 2 sets of towels. We asked them to deliver plates/utensils, wine glasses, regular drinking glasses and two extra sets of towels. It took them 5 trips to get it right, once they delivered wine glasses with chipped rims, once only two bath towels instead of a full set (incl. washcloth & hand towel.) No apology came from the management. The furnishings and carpet are showing wear (they were when they were a W but this was supposed to be remodeled.) We are members of Starwood's frequent guest program yet nothing extra or upgraded was offered as they do at their other hotels. In summary, the new place is a downgraded hotel, 3.5 stars if the service was working well. We're very disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. Aloft is a select service brand that celebrates the individual and gives you freedom to control and customize your travel adventure to fit your personal style. Although different from the W’s full service amenities, the customer service you receive at Aloft should be comparable. We apologize for your service experience, and we’ll be discussing your comments in our next team meeting. Thank you for your patience as we work through the kinks of opening a new brand. We hope you give us another try.

Been to Aloft Silicon Valley? Share your experiences!