“Romantic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Red Castle Historic Lodgings

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nevada City
Red Castle Historic Lodgings
You added Red Castle Historic Lodgings to your Saves list
109 Prospect St., Nevada City, CA 95959   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Nevada City B&B and Inns
san martin
“Romantic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here during some nasty rainy weather, but the Inn was warm & cozy. Our room had a love seat, a corner table & chairs and a gas fireplace. We sat in front of full length windows while reading and sipped tea/coffee duirng the elegant afternoon tea. The morning breakfast could be enjoyed in our room or visit with other guests in the main parlor. The food was exquisite (a mushroom suffle stuffed pastry, potatoes, fresh strawberries, etc. 2nd day steamed eggs, paperthin scallop potatoes, berry smoothie, pecan carmel pastry...all was delicious). The proprietors were friendly, the Inn clean, the shower was good size. The walk to town was easy, when we did go to town for dinner. All in all we would stay here again, hopefully during the warmer months and we can enjoy the garden.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

After reading some of the reviews we were a bit unsure about staying at Red Castle Inn, but boy were we glad we did! Staying there was almost like spending a few days in a museum after hours, but legally, without the fear of being busted.

The innkeepers achieved a perfect balance of accommodating a discerning traveler with the authenticity of how things were decorated in the 19th century. Everything in the house is authentic, down to the door knobs and floor boards. Sure, you will not find a mini bar or a TV in your room, but who needs that when you feel like you're back in the gold rush era? I'm not a history buff, but even I was in awe of the house and sensed all the stories behind the old photographs, tools, nicknacks and other wonders surrounding me. Luckily, Mary Louise, one of the owners, is a walking encyclopedia of stories about the house and Nevada City area and was there to answer all of our questions once we showed some respectful interest in learning about this unique place.

I especially liked that the owners were there when needed, but gave us plenty of room to enjoy the house by ourselves - another fine balance that is hard to find these days.

The rooms were outstanding, the beds were comfortable and I had a few nights of best sleep I've had in a long time. The inn is a short stroll from Nevada City downtown with many fine places to dine and wine, so not having to drive there was a major plus. A delightful breakfast every morning completed a perfect experience.

I am definitely coming back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

My boyfriend surprised me with a weekend at the Red Castle Inn, and it was very memorable and relaxing! What a wonderful gift! Mary and Connor are so nice and are wonderful company, and Marianne the chef was amazing-- I am on a lactose and gluten free diet, and she totally surprised me and spoiled me with wonderful gluten-free pancakes and delicious food that met my dietary needs! They all went above and beyond what I expected; Mary even had lactose-free milk for me at tea time! I also enjoyed the historic artificats and artwork decorating the walls. I hope to stay there again someday!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

My friend Kurtiss arranged our accommodations for one night at the Red Castle, so I had no knowledge of what the place might be like.

When the "Red Castle" came into view I was pleasantly surprised to see a beautifully restored 1860 Gothic Revival house--red brick with pointed arch windows, and "icicles" in wood hanging from the eaves. The white painted bric-a-brac showed nicely against the deep red of the bricks.

Our accommodations were in the garret suite consisting of east and west bedrooms and a common sitting area in between. The rooms were comfortable, clean, quiet and tastefully furnished.

A buffet breakfast was served at 8:30 am. We feasted on delectable mushroom crepes, an escalloped potato dish, and a to-die-for cherry cobbler. Fresh ripe strawberries were on the menu as well.

The proprietors were accommodating and gracious. They knew all about the history of Nevada City, and we had an interesting discussion about local architecture. The sitting room near the buffet contained some Renaissance Revival and Eastlake furniture accompanied by some slightly risqué Belle Epoque posters. Then there were small Bufano animal sculptures to be seen tucked away here and there. In other words, this is an eclectic array of wonderful things.

The grounds are lovely, too. Just simply walk down the path to the city sidewalk below and you're a block or two from downtown Nevada City itself.

It was a delightful stay and this is a welcoming venue to understand and appreciate Nevada City.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Washington, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

In all of my travels, I have never been more disappointed in the behavior of the proprietors of an establishment. My colleague and I made the reservation over the phone the day before our arrival. The confirmation email revealed the rules after our nonrefundable deposit was provided. If only we had seen the rules ahead of time.... Nevertheless the rules included these too major inconveniences:
1. Guests must arrive between 3 and 5 pm, and must provide an estimated time of arrival to the innkeeper.
2. No liquids of color (juice or red wine) can be consumed inside the premises, only outside on the porch (which had only iron furniture and no cushions).
It is a must that I add the manner in which we were greeted. We arrived at the inn at our exact estimated time. Stood on the porch and rang the doorbell for 10 minutes before a lady answered. She did not welcome us or even introduce herself. She showed my colleague to the guestbook and instructed her to sign her name "but it must fit on one line only.". I was nit permitted to sign in although I paid for my own room.

We were told if we paid in cash, we would receive a discounted price at $100 per room. We were charged $220 for both.

I had to leave by 8:30 am the next morning to catch a flight. We requested to pay our bill the night before and asked if we could be served our "gourmet" breakfast a little little earlier. No and no. Instead we were forced to push back our time, leaving at 9 am. We waited for a buffet style breakfast of cold muffins and pancakes and cold eggs and sausage with weak coffee, cheap orange juice.

Oh, and an additional major inconvenience was that guests are not permitted to roll their suitcases on the floor. Thus we were forced to move our belongings to a smaller bag that could be carried, rather than bringing in our larger suitcases. Then we had to repack our bags in the car before leaving for the airport. Unbelievable.

Lastly, the home was cluttered, the rooms were small, which made it overpriced for considering the disappointing meal. Yet, with that said, all could have been forgiven if the hosts exercised a smidgen of hospitality and warmth.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

We usually pick #1 or 2 rated B&B's, but chose the Red Castle because of the historical building, its setting, and the color red. We were not disappointed. The Garden Room was very nice, the bed one of the best in any B&B where we have stayed, and the breakfasts were superb. The hosts were very helpful in sharing information about Nevada City.

Sinclair
Reno

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reno, Nevada, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Have stayed twice at the Red Castle Inn and love it! It is a beautiful piece of architecture to start our with. Our room, the Gold Room, is very comfy. The breakfast is always outstanding and the proprietors, Conley and Mary Louise, remember the little things. We mentioned that we were here for a 10th anniversary and they had a nice note at the breakfast area for us the next day. I encourage you to visit Nevada City, partake of wine tasting at Nevada City Winery and Indian Springs Winery, buy a piece of jewelry at Nevada Gold and most importantly of all, stay at the Red Castle Inn!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Castle Historic Lodgings? Share your experiences!