“Nice quite place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn
523 Sacramento St, Nevada City, CA 95959   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Nevada City B&B and Inns
Vacaville, California
“Nice quite place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This was one of two places we had pick to stay at. It just happen that the other one booked up fast, good for us the other one was out of the way. Check in was fast and the owner was very helpful. We stayed in the Daphne Cottage, it was one of the smaller ones but it was perfect.
It was easy access to and from the freeway. It was very quite in the evenings which we liked.
We didn't use the BBQ area but it was there for our use, and the breakfast we opted out on because we had plans to get up early.
The room was made up real nice, nice flat screen tv and cable.
The only thing I saw on the down side was the small bath, but we managed.
I would recommend this place to everyone that is going to Grass Valley area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Hi John W.,

Thank you for your review! It Was nice to have You and Jeannette with us.
(Love that Big Salmon in your profile pic)

Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

For us, it happened to be a special, romantic weekend celebration, but I would stay here again under any circumstances. There were many adorable little details about this cottage - more than I can possibly list. Next time, I will take some photos.
We stayed in the Chestnut cottage. We got the last cottage available, which just saved us the trouble of choosing one It was accurately described, including the smallish shower (unimportant to us).
It was fun to be able to walk into Nevada City & we got lots of helpful, insider information about the town from our friendly hosts. We skipped the breakfasts so I can't review those. But the yummy coffee and half & half in the kitchen were extra enjoyable. Our cottage was perfectly preheated when we arrived. We stayed 2 nights. It was so quiet that it would not have occurred to me there were any other guests except that I knew they were completely sold out.
The grounds have some cute touches, too. It was a little too cold for us to hang out in the courtyard, but that will be another good reason to return when it's warmer weather.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
We are so pleased that you chose Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B for your romantic getaway. Our weather was warmer than normal for this time of year during your stay but still a bit chilly for using the courtyard to "hang out" in so come to see us in May-Sept. for some spectacular mountain weather! Thanks for taking the time to review us here on TA.
Monterey County
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

After a four-year hiatus we were able to get back to Piety Hill again. We were extremely pleased to find that the hosts (friendly and attentive), room (beautiful, comfortable, and complete), and service (breakfast was very tasty and perfectly on-time) were still A-1!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thanks for another great review! Always nice to have you here on Piety Hill!
Salmo, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My friend and I booked a cottage called Maple for a two night stay in Nevada City. When we got there the room was super heated, someone had had the wood stove going. This was not a problem as we put on the air conditioner a few hours to cool it down to a reasonable temperature . What was however, a major problem was the shower. I had to wait a long time to get any hot water flowing and it was barely a dribble when it did flow. I cannot imagine that many others were showering in other cottages in the later afternoon when we checked in. Then the toilet kept running. It was irritating as I had to take off the toilet tank top to reach in and move the ball around so the water would stop running. I didn't mind the first time as I wanted to get some sleep, but after a few more times it got old. The next day when I tried to turn on the shower again before we went out, there was hardly a drop of water coming out. It was all so frustrating so my friend in Grass Valley suggested we pack up and go back to her place for our last night in that area. I could not pack and get out of there fast enough. I wanted a good shower before we went home to Canada. I would not recommend this Maple cottage to anyone until the plumbing issues are resolved . It was a waste of money entirely.
We packed and left so fast once my friend offered us her home again, that in our haste, my friend left her ipad cord there. To their credit the management did offer to mail it back to her.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Hello Linda B. Thanks for your comments here on TA.
We never rent the Maple Cottage with the wood burning stove already ablaze. We do however preheat the cottages for arriving guests if the temps are expected to drop drastically as it did on the night that you stayed. The stove has not been used by a guest since early May of this year. We noticed that the air conditioner, the bedroom ceiling fan and the 3 speed stand fan had been used when we refreshed the cottage. I am sorry that it was too warm for you.
The problem with the toilet running was a simple fix. The nut that holds the handle in place had loosened slightly and it was tightened by hand in 10 seconds. When the toilet is running the pressure to all other faucets will be significantly diminished as was the case here. The guest that stayed the next night told us they had no problem with the toilet or the shower.
You did not bring these issues to management’s attention until after you were vacating the property. Had you given us the opportunity to resolve the problems, we could have made the simple repairs quickly and you could have enjoyed the remainder of your stay. If problems are not brought to the attention of the management, even the simplest of solutions won’t help the issue at hand. This place is 80 years old and has some quirkiness, but most all issues can be resolved by communicating with the Innkeepers.
surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We only had one night at these cottages but I wish that we had had the opportunity to stay longer. The cottage we had (Daphne) was very prettily decorated with a comfortable bed, excellent shower and real individual character. The little touches - such as a pot of excellent ground coffee, use of a BBQ and seats in the central garden area - showed a great deal of thought had gone into the cottages. It is only a 10 minute downhill walk into the town so a convenient location as well.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here on Piety Hill. The area offers so much more than one day can cover so we hope to see you again!
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

A fine old motor court, nicely landscaped, with lovely rooms. The folks that run this place were helpful, friendly and knowledgable about the area. The rooms were comfortable and quiet. All and all it was great and looking forward to returning!!

Room Tip: Try the breakfast...Mmmmm good!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Bill S
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thanks for your comments and for choosing Piety Hill Cottages. We will look you up when next visiting Santa Cruz!
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I think one of the best ways to judge a place is if you would return. I think an even better way to judge a place is if you find yourself trying to figure out ways to return soon!

I am trying to figure out ways to return soon for certain.

I found the cottages quaint, individual, comfortable and just a real pleasure to stay in. These are unique units with care and thought poured into each one. I really loved and appreciated the small details.

I found the staff to be kind, friendly, helpful, responsive and little bit like extended family (in a great way).

I found the location to be excellent. Off the main drag but close enough to walk into the main "downtown" area. It was also excellent for me because I am a runner and I was able to run in the neighborhoods without any problems.

Piety cottages are clean, well cared for, comfortable places to stay. I am looking forward to returning to visit again and cuddling up in one of their cottages.

I highly recommend this haven.

Room Tip: We stayed a little bit away from the road midway around the circle that the cabins are in. We had no...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eliote
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nevada City
Nevada City Inn
Nevada City Inn
#4 of 6 in Nevada City
3.0 of 5 stars 81 reviews

Been to Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn? Share your experiences!