“Lovely cottages. Lovely staff.” 5 of 5 stars

523 Sacramento St, Nevada City, CA 95959   |
Ranked #5 of 8 Nevada City B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco
“Lovely cottages. Lovely staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I think one of the best ways to judge a place is if you would return. I think an even better way to judge a place is if you find yourself trying to figure out ways to return soon!

I am trying to figure out ways to return soon for certain.

I found the cottages quaint, individual, comfortable and just a real pleasure to stay in. These are unique units with care and thought poured into each one. I really loved and appreciated the small details.

I found the staff to be kind, friendly, helpful, responsive and little bit like extended family (in a great way).

I found the location to be excellent. Off the main drag but close enough to walk into the main "downtown" area. It was also excellent for me because I am a runner and I was able to run in the neighborhoods without any problems.

Piety cottages are clean, well cared for, comfortable places to stay. I am looking forward to returning to visit again and cuddling up in one of their cottages.

I highly recommend this haven.

Room Tip: We stayed a little bit away from the road midway around the circle that the cabins are in. We had no...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Hello Eliote D,
Thanks for the review here on TA.
It was a pleasure to have you with us for your little getaway! I can't wait to come to your place for a visit!

Till next time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Tuolumne, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Because we ended up modifying our agenda we were late in seeking reservations in Nevada City, so most everything was booked. One kind B&B owner recommended we try Piety Hill Cottages. We did and they had availability...our first clue. Once I made the reservation the owner read me a list of her rules that she said we needed to abide by. They included such things as a $50 fee if we lost our key, a $10 fee if we didn't clean our own dishes, a $7 additional fee if we wanted continental breakfast, and so on. We told her we would be a late arrival and her response left me wondering if we didn't show up by the time they went to bed, we could be out of luck. We ended up each taking time off of work to make sure we'd arrive before our Friday night event. The room was quaint, but tired. There was dry rot along the bottom edge of the shower, the bathroom door didn't close well, the front door was full of nicks and the screen on the screen door was torn. The bed was clearly well worn, but we both ended ups sleeping well. In the room were more notes about items we'd be charged for such as $10 if they found make-up stains on the towels and a note next to the coffee maker which pretty much told us to not use more than four scoops of coffee in the coffee maker - both of us felt we were being nickel and dimmed by threats of extra charges which took away from an otherwise nice experience. I'm not sure I would want to stay there again. The owner, although pleasant enough, seemed cranky and her attitude certainly wasn't about creating a pleasant customer experience. Maybe she's been in the business just a little too long or maybe she doesn't realize that a smile goes a long way towards coming across as being friendly.

Room Tip: When booking ask if your room is at the end of what was a remodeled motor lodge. The room at the end...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Hello Lorforr,

My reply to this review will be a bit wordy but I believe it is the only way to respond to each point that you made above.

First, Thank you for taking the time to post your opinion here on TA.
You mentioned that “this should have been our 1st clue…” as to why we had availability. The reality is that you called just after we had a cancellation and had not had time to call our waiting list. The Amber Cottage was all that we had left as we had been fully booked.

Most every Lodging facility has a set of policies in place for the protection of both the guest and the facility which every guest receives in their confirmation from us. If the guest reserves by phone we are obligated to inform the guest of the policies before completing the reservation so there are no surprises.

We give our guest a real key. If it is lost we must take the lock off and take it to the locksmith to have it rekeyed and have to make 4 copies of that new key as well as to have it rekeyed to the master key. This cost us $50.00 and we don’t even charge for the time and fuel to take it in.

We have real dishes in each cottage for our guests to use at will (most hotel/motels have only paper coffee cups and plastic throwaways for water). We simply ask that they be left clean if used, or housekeeping can do them for you for $10.00. We take care of all dishes delivered with your breakfast.
We offer breakfast options that can be added if one would like. We have a Hot Breakfast option offered for $12.50 or a continental for $7.00 all delivered to your cottage at your time of choosing.

We have absolutely no problem with late arrivals. We simply ask for the courtesy of a call if arrival is after 6pm so that we can plan our shopping for the next morning’s breakfast supplies as we like everything to be as fresh as possible. If a guest is to be REALLY late we will set up the cottage so that they can arrive and go right in and do their registration in the morning after our breakfast service. This guest was going to an event on arrival night so we needed to know how to proceed for their particular need.

The front door to this and all of the cottages were painted in April (4months ago). I just went to look at the door and there is not a single nick in it. The inside had a couple so we are going to paint it upon this weekend’s checkouts. There is an area at the entry to the shower in the Amber Cottage that has a small amount of paint worn off but there is certainly no dry rot. We will paint it as well.
The screen doors have been a thorn in my side since day one. Everyone wants to open them by pushing on the screen itself instead of using the wooden frame, so I replaced all of the screens and installed a wooden panel to push on and no one uses them, thus the screens are getting pushed out again. I just ordered the industrial strength pet screen so we will see how they work once they have been shipped.

The Amber Cottage has new carpet (May 29, 2013) and the bed has a BRAND NEW mattress on it. It is only 2 months old. That and the fact that it is very quiet here is why you slept well. The antiques give the cottage its “worn” look.

The note in the bathroom simply asks our guests to use the cloths provided instead of our white towels for make-up removal. Replacing towels is costly and must be passed on to the ones who ignore our request.

The directions on the coffee maker are there so that the guest knows how much of the GOURMET coffee (Caroline’s Coffee Roasters blends this for us) is needed. If the maker is overfilled it will create a WONDERFUL mess that both the guest and housekeeping has to clean. Make as many pots as you like. We’re not tight with the coffee.

I’m not sure how one could be “pleasant enough” and “cranky” at the same time? Maybe a little more smiling would help this perception. Sometimes we forget to smile when we are slammed to the wall with business and we are trying to please everyone. I (the owner), my Manager (the one who checked you in), and the rest of our staff will work on this.

ROOM TIP: The Cedar cottage is the closest to the street as our website explains and will have a bit of road noise when traffic is high but we are a small town so that is minimal.
Point Richmond, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a lovely place, with lots of charm and amenities, but the water problem made it unpleasant. We stayed here two nights (Chestnut Cottage) while in the area for a family get-together. The first morning (Sunday of the Labor Day weekend) we attempted to shower around 8:30am -- the first shower was marginal, but the second was my turn, and I decided not to wash my hair because there just wasn't enough water to do it! The issue was not hot water, but ANY water. So we figured maybe there were others showering at that hour, and expected the problem to be less the following morning when we got up earlier -- 7am on Labor Day. No such luck. The first shower offered less flow than the day before, and when I tried to shower the water flow was so low that the water trickled out of the showerhead and BACK along its surface! I could not have even taken a drink, much less a shower.

We won't be coming back, nor can we recommend it until the water problem is solved. I don't consider myself picky, but I do expect to shower when I pay for lodging.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so very sorry that the water pressure was so low. I had two of my staff try to duplicate the problem at 2 different times to no avail. It apparently only happens when everyone uses the water at the same time on that side of the property. I had a plummer out today to see if he could figure it out. As it turns out there was a washer dislogged in the showerhead that was covering half of the opening and this compounded the weakness of the water pressure He is working up a repipe estimate for that line and I should know something soon.
Please, always let your innkeeper know if there is a problem of any kind with your room so that it can be checked right away. When one barks at the staff, practically throws the key at them and runs off, one is less likley to get resolve.
Riverside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

...I will definitely be staying here!!! I already had other accomodations on my current trip to Emigrant Gap, but had to stop in here and check out the place. I was very happily shown each unoccupied room by the owner and his assistant. They discussed the amenities of each room and all upgrades that had been done. I especially LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that the cottages have garages, so when you park your car inside and it then rains or snows, you do not have to dodge the weather to get in our out of your car so your car stays cleaner inside. The cottages were built in 1933, so with downtown Nevada City close by, you get that real 'old time' feel on the property. I suggest you visit the website for all the information you need and to book your room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Hi Lynella!
It was great to see you here at Piety Hill Cottages. I hope your trip to the area was all that you envisioned! We look forward to seeing you again when your world turns the roads in our direction!!!
Napa, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed here over the Valentines weekend 2013. Had a wonderful stay! We stayed in the Cedar Cottage and felt like we were in an old fashioned fishing cabin. The bed was very comfortable and room very clean. Michael the owner was very helpful with questions we had about the area. If you are looking for a fancy unit this is not the place for you but if you want a fun , comfortable place to stay this is the place for you!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you, thank you. We truly appreciate your taking time to post here on TA.
Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My elderly mother, myself and my teenage daughter stayed at the motel for one night. The cottage was comfortable with a wood-burning stove, a small kitchen, nice sitting room, and separate bedroom. We were especially happy to have separate beds for each of us. The major down side was that we were at the end of the line for hot water and there was none for us until all the other guests had finished their morning ablutions. We had arrived quite late the night before, so it was not a major issue for us, but it might be for someone else. We did not buy the optional breakfast because it was full of dairy products.

The friendly, helpful owner showed us a video of fox kits on the property and we were sorry that we did not get to see them in person. We did meet the cat who liked to roost high in our garage, perhaps to stay away from the fox family.

Room Tip: You should ask where your cottage will be in the hot-water line if you want to be sure to get a hot...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your review, Kristen. It was a pleasure to meet you and your family on your last minute getaway. I do appologize for the lack of water preasure. This happens in an old building (1933) as well as sometimes the City's pressure to the property is low. Repiping is on the wish list as one of the future improvements.
Thanks again for taking the time to comment here on TA.
Carmel Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Pros: Bed was super comfortable. Breakfast was delicious. Surroundings were quiet. Cottage was roomy. Price was reasonable. Nice owner
Cons: very noisy air conditioner. Fan was a good substitute and much quieter. Bathroom sink very slow to drain. Towels worn out and need replacing. Refrigerator very old and its door was hard to close. Shower water pressure and temperature tended to be erratic.

We stayed in Apple Blossom. All in all, we had a good stay, but I'd love to see the place updated a bit more. Then it would be first class.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your comments. It was a pleasure to have you here with us for the World Fest Music Festival last weekend.
I do apologize for the rough sounding air conditioner. It rattles quite a bit when you first turn it on. It mellows after it circulates the freon, but the first minute or two it is a bit noisy. We plan to replace that one first in our effort to upgrade the cooling systems throughout the property.
Thank you for letting me know about the slow sink in the bathroom. It has now been treated.
We have replaced about 90% of our towels and in fact bought more yesterday before your review was posted. We start all the cottages out with the new ones and only use the older ones if we notice multiple hard to remove stains in the new ones. We do ask that the white towels only be used to dry freshly showered bodies and not for removing make-up (blue wash clothes provide for this) or for wiping spills etc. as this greatly reduces the useful life of the towels.
The Apple Blossom Cottage has its own electric water heater so I don’t know why the temperature was erratic. I let the water run for ten minutes and could not duplicate the problem, however the pressure in these older (1933) buildings can at times vary.
The refrigerator in this Cottage is a 1950’s antique and I put a new door stripping on it just before your arrival. It closes best if the handle is in the open position until the door is closed and then release the handle. I am expecting the new stripping to compress a bit with use so this won’t be necessary.
It was nice to see you enjoy your breakfast on your private patio and we hope to see you again.

Been to Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn? Share your experiences!