“Very Cozy” 4 of 5 stars

523 Sacramento St, Nevada City, CA 95959   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Nevada City B&B and Inns
“Very Cozy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

The grounds for this B&B are very cute. They try to make it cute & cozy. Our cottage had everything we needed except the bathroom was so small my poor husband barely fit. It was our first time staying there & I was a little disappointed. The room was in need of a little TLC. We skipped the breakfast but it did look good. I saw when they were delivering it to another room

• Stayed May 2013
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time here on TA to review Piety Hill Cottages! The bathrooms in several of the cottages are on the small side, as this was not the builders main focus when these were built in the height of the depression (1933). Some of the cottages have larger bathrooms but none are what I would call a big bathroom. Though you didn't mention the name of the cottage that you stayed in, I am asssuming that you stayed in the Daphne Cottage as it is one of the two smallest and has the smallest bathroom. It is slated for new carpet and paint this week, along with 2 others, and may have already been done by the time TA posts my response. I hope that you will return to Piety Hill Cottages on your next visit to Nevada City and Grass Valley and if you give us a call ahead of online scheduling, I will help you choose a cottage that is more suited to your husband's size need. Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Incline Village, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I did my research before going on a trip to NC and I decided to stay here at $99 a night. It is located 10min from DT NC and the walk is very enjoyable. Around the corner within walking distance is an IGA supermarket. The owners are beyond pleasant and helpful and the cottages are simply put homey and comfortable. I think it would be a mistake to pass on the breakfast that is ordered. They set up the time to deliver it to your room and they are on time. The food is excellent and plentiful. We even asked for a veggie breakfast for the second morning and the owners went to the store and purchased a veggie sausage for the next breakfast. I travel for a living and stay all over the country/world and this establishment rivals the best. If you cannot tell I was impressed and will be back. For reference we stayed in the Walnut Cottage.
STAY HERE!!!

Room Tip: Walnut cottage has a claw foot bathtub.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
It warms our hearts to hear the satisfaction of our guests so amply expressed. Thanks for the great review!
Davis, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We just got back home 2 days ago and are already planning a return trip to Nevada City. We love the quaintness and comfortable accomodations here as well as the lovely gardens and individual cottages. We've stayed in 3 different cottages and can most recommend the "Apple Blossom". Be sure to order the optional full breakfast, Michael can really cook! Wendee S., Davis, CA.

Room Tip: There is a little street noise if you stay in the "Cedar Cottage", however all are pleasan...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you Wendee! We look forward to your next visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My family and I had a great time at the inn, and the area is quite amazing. The breakfast is brought to your cottage. The food is absolutely amazing, and the service is perfect! Everyone was so nice. If you are in Nevada City or Grass valley I would strongly recommend the Piety Hill Cottages.

• Stayed April 2013
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Wow, Thanks for the glowing review! Reviews like this help us to know that our efforts are not in vain.
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I hadn't been back "home" to Nevada county in many years, and I had never needed a hotel in the area. There are a number of fancy hotels situated in downtown Grass Valley and Nevada City, but they tend to be very expensive. I settled on this place because the price was very reasonable since May is the beginning of the tourist high season in Nevada County. If you stay here, expect to be in one of several free-standing cottages, possibly sharing a wall with someone else. Piety Hill isn't in downtown Nevada City (which is good), but it's only a ten minute walk downtown. My wife and I stayed in the Daphne Cottage; it's pretty small, but it's just fine for two people. The room was nicely decorated and maintained. All of the cottages open up onto a small, peaceful "park" with nice trees and soft grass; it's really easy to unwind here. For folks who have never lived in the gold country, these little cottages give you a good feel for what living is like in the area, just on a very small scale. My wife and I really enjoyed staying here, and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. The Daphne Cottage is one of the two small queen cottages that share a common wall. We also have Kings and small efficiency suites as well as a 700 sqft single family home for longer stays or family getaways. We wish you safe travels and hope to see you again!
Del Mar, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Our family of 5 stayed here in the spring of 2011 while traveling Highway 49 to visit California's Gold Country. The hotels we stayed in along the way were fairly priced accommodations with the exception of the Piety Hill Cottages. We have taken many family vacations and this is the first time I have felt compelled to write a negative review on trip advisor.

Our cottage was cozy with the exception of multiple signs posted with stern, unfriendly directives from the inn keeper. Several trips had to be made to the inn keeper to ask for kitchen bowls and basics absent from the kitchen. Given his demeanor we felt like a complete annoyance.

The jacuzzi/spa was not in working order and was filthy. The mobile home that looks to have been parked for ages at the edge of the property is covered with leaves and an eyesore. The plantings outside of our cottage were sparse or dead.
Overall the place is very run down.

However, the proximity to the downtown is good and when the toilet clogged (no fault of ours as we were very sensitive to the very old plumbing) and spilled over the inn keeper was there in a heartbeat to clean things up. We will not be back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
I don’t know what type of hotels this guest stayed in but trying to compare the White Birch Cottage to a hotel room is like comparing apples to bananas. They are totally different environments. The nightly rate for the White Birch Cottage last spring was $140 for 2 guests and $10 for each additional guest making the rate $170 per night for 5 guests. If that’s not reasonable for a single family home with a full kitchen for 5 people, then this guest needs to stick to hotels.

Yes, there are a couple of 3X5 notes in the cottages. The one in the bathroom requests that our guests not use the white towels to remove their make-up (wash cloths provided) and another in the kitchen reminds our guests to leave any dishes used clean for the next guest (so they don’t incur extra cleaning fees as per the registration agreement). We clear and wash all dishes delivered with the breakfast tray.

I am never, ever annoyed by a guest’s requests. Sometimes I have to say we don’t have something that has been asked for, but in this case I was asked for a huge bowl ( like 2 gallon size) and 2 large casserole dishes which I was able to provide from my personal kitchen wares. There’s not much that the cottage doesn’t already have.

A toilet will only overflow when it has had a massive amount of TP or ??? forced into it. This was the 1st and only time I have ever had to deal with a flooding in the cottage. They told me their teenage son tried to plunge it before informing them that there was a problem.

Our spa has been permanently closed due to costly ADA mandates and the door to the gazebo has a sign on it stating that it is permanently closed, which means that this guest ignored the sign, unbolted the doors to the gazebo, entered and lifted the lid to the spa. What they saw was a 26 year old spa that is no longer in use, with about 6 inches of dirty water in the bottom. It will at some point be discarded. Until then it is Closed as the sign says.

In the early spring our grounds are still recovering from winter snow and freezing temperatures so most of the plants are dormant, not dead and we are certainly not run down as one can see from the photos on our website and Facebook pages.

I find it amazing, the “spin” some folks use to get sympathy. I never heard a complaint or even saw a frown while they were here so many months ago.

If you have an issue, come talk to me. I'm a fairly reasonable guy.
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I found this place through word-of-mouth. We saw the 4-star rating on Yelp so called in. Michael had a few rooms available last-minute so we stopped in to check it out--loved how it felt right away--warm lighting, cozy and clean along with great service. We rented the cottage which was spacious, clean and so quaint. The gourmet breakfast was well worth ordering--dutch pancakes with lemon sauce was delicious! Also the organic plum jam was my favorite. We felt refreshed the next day and can't wait to visit again. Definitely recommend...Simple and clean.

Room Tip: Cottage is spacious and clean--definitely worth the extra few bucks even if it's just for 2. The...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Piety_Hill_Cottages, Owner at Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
It was great to meet you both. Thanks for your warm thoughts!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nevada City
Nevada City Inn
Nevada City Inn
#4 of 6 in Nevada City
3.0 of 5 stars 73 reviews

Been to Piety Hill Cottages Motel and B&B Inn? Share your experiences!