“A local upscale restaurant” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Nevada City, California
“A local upscale restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

This is a very popular dinner place. The food is upscale and well presented but from my prospective, it lacks flavor which for me is very important and is why I only consider it average.

Visited August 2012

Northern California
“White linen tablecloths & napkins, gourmet attractively served delicious food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We read some great reviews on Trip Advisor regarding the Blue Moon Café in Nevada City. For the most part, people raved about the food but there was also some very negative comments regarding the wait staff. We both agreed to check out the restaurant for lunch the next time we were in the area. We asked to be seated on the outside deck which looks out over the parking lot on one side and you look through the sparkling clean large windows into the main dining room on the other. Overall it was a nice experience as the food was attractively served and because my husband and I weren’t that hungry we inquired as to the size of the sandwich as we wanted to split it. The server (who was very accommodating) asked if we would like to have the kitchen staff divide the sandwich for us. That was a nice touch as each plate had an ample sized sandwich along with a fabulous pesto pasta salad on the side with some lettuce, red onions, pickle and a pepper accompanying the other goodies on the plate. Certainly more than enough for the two of us. The sandwich was $16 but as I said, we split it so I felt the price was fair. The sandwich was fresh turkey along with bacon, red onion, some sort of mild cheese and lettuce. This was warmed and served on focaccia bread. Hubby had a bowl of their blended tomato basil soup which was equally good. The bus boy that took care of our table was a young man who was personable and efficient in that he kept our water glasses full and plates cleared away as we emptied them. All in all it was an enjoyable lunch.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Reno, Nevada
“Definite #1!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed our 5th wedding anniversary at this terrific restaurant this last weekend...During my planning I asked folks in the area what the "best" restaurant in the Nevada City/Grass Valley area and was directed to New Moon...I also referred to Trip Advisor and (surprise!) there it was at #1...The food was excellent, the service was superb, and they have an outdoor "porch" area as a bonus...I had some special plans for my wife that needed some special care and planning ahead of time, and I called Buzz at the restaurant who helped gladly both before and that night with all the coordination!
Truly awesome in every way!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sacramento, California
“Yea, it's the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Really, there's nothing in the ballpark of New Moon in Nevada County, or anywhere close. They are the absolute best.

“RUDE !!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

We stopped by this place at about 7:30 pm. Keeping in mind it's a Saturday night & they would probably be busy & might have a wait time. As we approached the front entrance we were greeted by a very snarky gentleman staring at us over his glasses. We asked if they had any seating available & he returned a glare as if to say "are you stupid!" then he spoke..."it's a Saturday night, we are the best in Nevada City as yiu can see, don't you know that reservations are required, it'll be at least 1 1/2 hours"
We stated that it appeared that way, sorry to have bothered you, and by your attitude, we will never be back! So, we were graciously seated across the street at Ike's 1/4 cafe....which by far is the best food I've had in Nevada City. I've told my entire clientele about this incident & I can assure you they will not be visiting new moon.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere