“A one time must do for laughs!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of National Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nevada City
National Hotel
You added National Hotel to your Saves list
211 Broad Street, Nevada City, CA 95959   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Nevada City
Northern CA
“A one time must do for laughs!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Ok, went Christmas shopping with friends, wanted a unique experience & we got it! Lumpy tiny beds, cold water, semi clean & noisy! Incidentally, I'm not one for the far out, but I truly think there are spirits here! A good memory in a GREAT location. It truly is convenient for shopping Nevada City,

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in rm 34, the king suite, last weekend and it was perfectly fine. Hubby said the shower was a bit worse for the wear, but all in all pleasantly surprised after reading some of the reviews. The bar is great, best lemon drop around!! Perfectly situated and coffee shop next door called Curly Wolf is awesome!!

• Stayed November 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were looking forward to a quick getaway and knew of the hotel only because of its great location. I should have suspected something when there were no pictures on the website....when we arrived and walked up the steps to the lobby the carpets were old,tattered and dirty (like hadn't been vacuumed in ages). The front desk was piled with stacks of papers and "stuff" and looked like a mess. After getting our key and heading up to our room I was shocked at how run down everything was. Buckling, stained carpets, holes in walls, dirty floors. When we arrived in our room I wanted to cry...stained cushions on sicker furniture, bathroom that looked awful, linoleum in the "kitchen" from the 70's, bed in the bedroom that I was not willing to climb in, no screens on the windows....we immediately left to go see the town and after two hours of walking around I was so irritated that we were paying $140 for our "suite" and so disgusted about staying in it I returned and told the front desk we were checking out and wanted our money back. After showing them pictures I had taken, the only positive of the experience happened. They agreed to give us our money back less a $20 charge and were very gracious about it. Overall I totally understand this is a historical site and it's not expected to be state of the art and new, however it seems unethical for this business to advertise and charge $140 to stay in something this dilapitated.

• Stayed November 2013
Salmo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My girlfriend and I were visiting Nevada City in October, and on a Saturday night, we had left a restaurant but wanted to have an evening beer before heading to our rental cottage. Alot of the local bars were filled with young folks, so we decided to go to the old historic National Hotel . When we got there, they had kareoke night going on, and the audience were an assortment of all ages and all kinds of outfits, from Civil war look, to sporting cowboy hats. The ceiling has coloured Christmas tree bulbs hanging from it, and it was just like being at my local village pub here in Canada. Very different atmosphere. The woman serving the floor patrons was very friendly and helpful with directions etc. One of the men who got up to sing had just performed at the Nevada Theatre, so he was a professional from a group in Oakland , and he was good. All in all, it made for a unique experience if I do say so and our evening ended up having more fun!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Walnut Creek, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

On a recent motorcycle trip from Lake Tahoe we decided to stay in the fantastic Nevada city....we didn't have reservations at any hotels/motels so we decided to look around. The hotel is in a prime location with easy walking to bars and restaurants etc. we decided to look at the rooms available before committing.....thanks god (or whoever you believe in)

I would term this hotel as derelict !

It is absolutely filthy and disgusting, I wouldn't let my dog stay in such a @¥it hole.......they couldn't pay me to stay in any of there rooms.

We decided to stay in the northern queen motel....a clean and quiet room at a decent price.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
West Sacramento, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

So much potential wasted by the current owners. It's filthy and not kept true to its original charm. Balcony and pool were both closed due to disrepair. The mismatched carpet must date to the 1970s and probably hasn't been cleaned since. Linoleum in our bathroom was warped and peeling. Bed was horribly uncomfortable.

With the right investors this place could be turned into a spectacular gem. Many of the locals warned us not to eat in the hotel restaurant too, for health reasons. I really hate seeing historical buildings becoming decrepit and neglected. Nevada City is such a wonderful old mining town.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Prescott, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

I am a fan of historic hotels, and love the uniqueness of my stays at these places. However, the National needs refurbishing, particularly the beds and mattresses. It's kind of important, eh? I can live with the musty smell and tired decor, but a good night's sleep is essential ! No amenities other than soap, kitchenette completely empty of anything except 3 water glasses (hello, coffee mug and water kettle?), and to top it off the night desk attendant was not pleasant to us in dealing with a billing issue. The one thing the place has going for it is the location. I think we can do better.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Nevada City Inn
Nevada City Inn
#4 of 6 in Nevada City
3.0 of 5 stars 73 reviews

Been to National Hotel? Share your experiences!