“Top 3 worse hotels I have ever stayed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of National Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nevada City
National Hotel
211 Broad Street, Nevada City, CA 95959   |
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Nevada City
“Top 3 worse hotels I have ever stayed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed in the suite. Room was pretty bad. Decor, furniture, and beds were all from the 70's. i would not stay here again. This place is a total dump. I have no idea how they are still in business. The carpet throughout the room and hotel was dirty, musty, and very strange. No screens on the windows. Frankly, this place needs an inspection by the Board of Health.

• Stayed June 2013

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Since moving to California I have been very eager to visit Nevada City! My love for historic/haunted towns and cities has been a passion of mine for 25 years. As soon as we stepped foot into the National Hotel, I felt as though we stepped back in time. There are countless original antiques everywhere. We were greeted by a very friendly young lady at the desk. No reservations, and we were quickly checked into room 74, a Queen Suite. The view was amazing! The energy was strong everywhere you walked. If you have an appreciation for the historic, THIS is the place to stay. Fun bar atmosphere, friendly locals, and friendly staff. If you are a yup, uptight and overall a complainer, this isn't the place for you. Clearly, the people that have written bad reviews just sound like spoiled brats with no appreciation for the historic ambiance this place delivers. We will definitely be visiting again very soon! One night just wasn't enough!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Corona del Mar, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I'd give the National Hotel a 5 for an incredibly, unique experience and a glance back 161 years into California history. I am surprised at many of the reviews, what were people expecting in a 161 year old, wooden hotel? The hotel creaks, it IS dated and worn in places, but that isn't a major negative for me, it is what I expect in a very old, wooden hotel. It is the very shabbiness, if you will, that gives it part of its charm.

Would I stay at the National Hotel for a week? No, that is why I can't give it a 5 overall rating. If I was there for a week, it would be a 3 rating. So I give it a 4 (very good) less on the condition & amenities and more for the experience. I hope that is clear enough.

But for a trip into Gold Country, the National Hotel is one of the hotels (Murphys Hotel, National Hotel Jamestown, City Hotel and a few others) that I would stay in to immerse in the feel of the CA Gold Rush.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Mission Viejo, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stopped in to the National Hotel to see if we could view a room for a future stay option. Our first impression… turn and RUN! The National Hotel appears to be held together with duct tape, plastic tarps and 1970’s wood paneling. What a dump. The carpets were old and buckled from wear. There’s no way we would walk out on their deck for fear of falling through. Being such a focal point of Nevada City, we think the city or county should step in and remove the current owners, AKA: Slumlords. It’s sad to see such a beautiful historic hotel in such neglect. Unfortunately, historic hotels that are worth staying in are becoming scarce in this region.

Room Tip: We didn't stay... and you shouldn't too.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sacramento, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Rented a suite ($140) for the Mardi Gras festival. Was told by management on day of festival that we could not use the balcony. That was the whole reason we rented the room, which was disgusting. Heat comes on sporadically and makes more noise than the groaning frog living in the gutter outside the broken bedroom window. The bed is the worst ever, felt like plywood. Ended up sleeping on the couch. No maid service, as I was told all the workers called in sick. The shower is either extremely hot or cold. Nothing in between.
They should invest a few $ and supply some amenities for that price. Maybe a flat screen or HD cable, maybe a new shower valve, maybe a new flapper for the toilet that runs constantly thoughout the night. If you want a horrible experience. You won't need to look any farther.

Room Tip: Avoid this place if you plan on getting some sleep.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Vacaville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We had dinner in the restaurant the week before Christmas. The restaurant was empty due to Grass Valley having a street fair. The service was great and the food was pretty good. The prime rib was cooked just as I like it to be cooked. There were five of us and everyone enjoyed what they ordered. There was an older gentleman playing the electric keyboard and the accordian. He was very respectful of all diners and asked several times if he was playing to loudly or disturbing us. We enjoyed the Christmas music he was playing as it was the holiday season. We had a most enjoyable dinner and evening having the restaurant all to ourselves.

Room Tip: We did not stay in any of the rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Reno, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Horribly raw meat in hamburger that the bartender should have comped it was sooooo bad...My parents lived in Grass Valley from 1972 to 1999 and I have had many, many wonderful experiences here, so the return was purely nostalgic...It should have been a clue that we were the only ones there to eat, and only a few bar flies were seated at the bar...If I live from the raw meat I will NEVER RETURN...AND SO SHOULD YOU NEVER GO.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to National Hotel? Share your experiences!