“Fantastic hotel to experience!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of National Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nevada City
National Hotel
You added National Hotel to your Saves list
211 Broad Street, Nevada City, CA 95959   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Nevada City
Chonburi, Thailand
“Fantastic hotel to experience!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This hotel, we were told one of the oldest in USA, is worth a visit due to its charm. Nothing much has been done to it since it was new. Well, when color-tv was invented and AC was invented, they got them! Since then, nothing has happen! The room we stayed in was small and not nice, but still! We are happy we stayed one night in the old hotel even though it is not worth the price.
The bar is very nice and the bartender mixes good Margarithas! I had bisonribs in the restaurant. So tough, nearly could not chew it, my wifes spagetti with chicken was nothing special. Staff there is nice and the "Dining-room" is absolutely worth a visit! You have to see it. We laughed when we got the room and we laughed when we left! What an experiece!!!

Room Tip: See the room first and if AC is needed, try it!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
NEWBERG
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

One would expect a well-kept hotel in a quaint town like Nevada City, but The National Hotel is not worth your dollar. The front desk staff were very nice, but the hotel itself is very shabby...filthy carpet with wrinkles that can trip you if you're not careful. Along with antique furniture, you get spreads and drapes from the same era - well worn and shabby. There are no amenities like shampoo or hair dryer. The only useful thing in the room was a pair of needle nose pliers to turn on the air conditioner because the nobs were broken. They give you a coffee coupon but the restaurant doesn't open until 8am.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Do not stay here! This was the worst place I have ever stayed in my life. Entire experience from the beginning was horrible. The staff was unprofessional and extremely rude. We rented a "suite" (140), room was filthy and smelled like mold. Carpet was disgusting. A/C was broken and room was a consistent 90+ degrees all night. Beds were old and not comfortable. No ice machine, no toiletries provided, no hair dryer, no iron. Pool needed to be cleaned and there were locals swimming there who were not hotel guests. I would rather have my family sleep in the car than this run-down nightmare.

Room Tip: Suite 39 was disgusting, dirty, hot, horrible beds, no amenities, and back door did not lock.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

OMG, what a horrible meal. It was empty on a Saturday night, and I wish I had read reviews before we went. The salad was wilted and tired. My husband wondered if they made salad plates up a few days ahead and just left them in the fridge. There’s a fine line between tired and just garbage for these salads. The entrée was worse. Potatoes were precooked, then refrigerated and reheated. They had this old weird refrigerator taste. Gravy was that envelope kind that you add water. Green beans from a can. I felt like it was emergency rations for a disaster. So, then, there’s this very kindly very elderly gentleman playing the accordion and the organ (very loudly) and playing only really old music. He asked would we like to hear “Autumn Leaves.” I politely asked, “I’m sorry, is that a title of a song?” I didn’t want to make him feel bad, and he did add a certain entertainment element to an otherwise horrendous meal. It was all just a bit surreal. Do not eat here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I love this place! It is a piece of history. It is the oldest running hotel since 1854! The hotel is old and it has character. National has a great bar and the bar tenders are awesome, just cant be too high maintenance. Take a shot of whiskey, sing some karaoke, and have some fun.

Room Tip: grab some thai @ sopa
Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

Yuck!!! My husband wanted to stay here for a wedding we were attending. This place is dirty and falling apart. The windows were broken. The shower And window curtains were coming off. The tv didn't work. The shower was missing a handle and the worst was there were dead bugs on top of the canopy over the bed. We stayed in room 20 a suite that they said was charming and cozy with a fireplace. An electrical one. The room was over the bar and they had kareoke until all hours. Never again for $140

• Stayed June 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

Now, to be fair, its been awhile since I stayed here. But my hubby and I were just in the area for our yearly trek and saw that the place is still as dismal as ever. Too bad really, given its most excellent location and historic roots. And I wouldn't even be mentioning it here, were it not for the fact that I saw an ad for the place in a really nice regional vacation guide and wanted to save some poor sap from major disappointment. The first time visitor dupe has to be the only reason this place is still open. It's unkempt, dirty and feels more like being in what I imagine an oldtime brothel to be like. And I might be more forgiving if it was at least a more affordable option. Save your money and stay at The Outside Inn if you want affordable, or The Emma Nevada House if you want luxury.

• Stayed March 2011

Been to National Hotel? Share your experiences!