“She used to be beauty in her day.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Northern Queen Inn

You added Northern Queen Inn to your Saves list
Northern Queen Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 Railroad Ave. (Sacramento St. Exit Off Highway 49), Nevada City, CA 95959   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Nevada City
Rancho Cordova, California
“She used to be beauty in her day.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This place used to have a very nice restaurant. The setting at this Inn is very nice, woodsy, little natural waterfall, cool train car. This place is very tired looking. Great shower pressure, but lousy heating. I may try again if I see she gets some tender loving care and opens the restaurant again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Yuba City, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I have been to the resturant on- site several times. The resturant, (cannot think of the name of it at the moment) is quite charming. There is a small waterfall in the main dining area that makes for relaxing experience. I have always admired the hotel, it is tucked back in off the hwy. very discreetly, not your common hotel type setting, which I do prefer. Boy, was I ever so disappointed at how dated the room was. :( I do not mind "old school, usually prefer it, but they still have the standard metal key system versus card type. Was already for a grand bubble bath, NOT...the tub was standard, maybe smaller than :(. Room was clean, had coffe maker, blow dryer but was not enough. Sorry to say they need to do some updating, in doing that I would hope it would not compromise the landscaping for that's what makes it so peaceful and alluring.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We had planned to dine @ the hotel restaurant after a fun/long day @ Constitutional parade, but it was closed ! Did enjoy a great meal with good service @ the Old 5 Mile House outside of town. (they were roasting a whole pig out by the patio)
As for the Northern Queen: Quite worn look to everything, very uncomfortable bed (felt every movement by husband) ,stains on carpet & chairs, noisy & inefficient A/C, highway noise, not enough coffee in room -- just paper cups.
Good we were there only one night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I would definitely come back. I went with my girlfriend for a get away. We stayed in one of the chalet's. Very nice. Beautiful setting. Short walk to the pool. The lady who checked us in was so accommodating. We loved it. I am looking forward to a return visit. Great place for families.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

My experience with the Northern Queen began ihn 1993 for work purposes only. My stay each and every time has been 5 star! This place rocks. I not only stayed at Northern Queen for work related housing... but personnally stayed at Northern Queen for a quick get away from Sacramento. The Staff is incredible, the Manager Diane has accomadated me every time I requested work accomodations and personal accomodations. The Hotel offers everything for a clean and friendly get away for work and personnal getaways. The best service I have ever experienced. The Inn, the restaurant, all the staff makes you feel like you are family. The Northern Queen is the 5 Star ticket. You won't be disappointed! Ask for Diane!! The girl ROCKS!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

We stayed here 5 years ago in one of the standard rooms when my husband and I first started dating so we wanted to return for "old times" sake. We stayed in one of the cabins this time and unfortunatley we wouldn't do it again.
The Pros: The location and view being nestled in the trees was beautiful. The staff were incredibly helpful, especially Tina. My guess, is that compared to other places in the area, this was probably considered one of the nicer places to stay. Great fireplace!
The Cons: The cabins are spacious enough but the carpet is so old and dirty we had a difficult time feeling comfortable. We are used to sleeping in a Cal King so the double bed (the only kind offered) was just too small for us. We bought candles and air freshner which helped tremendously but it still smelled like smoke even though these were no smoking cabins. Since there was only a small 2 seat couch in the living room and no TV in the bedroom, we had a difficult time getting comfortable and relaxing. We ended up leaving the second night even though we knew we would have to pay for the unstayed night. They discounted our last night since we didn't stay which was much appreciated. They also offered us a Chalet (which we previewed and although still dated, seemed like a better option for comfort which we may try next time) but we were already packed and didn't want to unpack just for one night.
Customer Service was worth 4 stars but the cabin I would give 2 stars. I would recommend trying the Chalet or a standard room if you are going to stay here.

Room Tip: Choose a Chalet or Standard Room.