“Unexpected car trouble leads to unexpectedly AWESOME hotel stay!” 5 of 5 stars

1,000 bonus reward points
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Needles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Unexpected car trouble leads to unexpectedly AWESOME hotel stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

In June of 2012, I stayed here due to unexpected car trouble (drove from Tulsa to L.A. and back).

It was right across from the only shop that had any chance of getting me back on the road soon. The guys at the shop told me of a couple of really affordable motels, but cautioned that the conditions weren't anything...uh... safe.

So I walked over to this Best Western. When I approached the clerk, he informed me that all single rooms had been booked. Before I could even blink, he offered me a double room at the single rate. The clerk was super friendly, obviously very accommodating, and the lobby was very nice. The pool was newly remodeled and is absolutely gorgeous. Palm trees waving in the breeze, a small fireplace... I'm telling you. After driving in 120ºF heat with no A/C, the pool was extremely welcome. The water was pristine, and the grounds were kept absolutely perfect.

The hotel IS located next to some train tracks, but they honestly didn't bother me. It was actually kind of nice to watch them from the balcony at night. Really, really classy stay. Seriously.
It's not the Hilton, but it's really nice.

There's a service station next to or near the hotel (I can't remember which), as well as a "Chinese" restaurant. You get a LOT for your money there.

The hot breakfast is handled by Juicy's River Cafe, which is right next door. You're given a voucher, and you have a few options to choose from. It's not a heavy breakfast, but that's just as well. It was SUPER tasty. If you happen to need lunch, the burgers there are finger-licking good, folks. I mean bring-out-the-cook good! The manager there was very welcoming and friendly, and the waitstaff were in a good mood.

If you're in Needles, and you're reading this, STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

Room Tip: Use the coffee maker!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
pcrouch, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Colorado River Inn, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
I know it can be a difficult experiance when you are having car trouble. I am glad you had an awesome stay, and happy we could make a bad situation a little better. Please come back and visit us next time you are traveling on Route 66.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

With Best Western Hotels we had not the best experiences. We prefer Marriott but on our roundtrip there is almost no hotel of this chain. We had booked a suite, but it was only one large room. The room was very clean and spacy enough. We had problems with the internet access (two hours to log in) and the connection was very slooooow! The included breakfast was offered outside in restaurant nearby. We chosed a breakfast a la carte and got 20 percent hotel discount. Quality and service were really good. A very good start for a trip on Route 66 to Oatman and Seligman.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Heinz,
Thank you for staying during your Route 66 trip. I apologize for your internet troubles. Please notify any hotel you are staying in and having trouble with WIFI. We would be happy to assist you to connect.
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I would like to thank the manager who was in charge of this hotel in May 2011. We were a group of 4 cyclists from Scotland who were cycling from Santa Monica to New York City in aid of charity. As you can imagine by the time we had made it to Needles through the Mohave we were extremely tired and disorientated. We arrived in Needles at about 7pm. On the first night we stayed at a cheap motel round the corner from the Best Western. After we woke up we decided that we would like to have an extra days rest before our next cycle to Kingman!
We asked if there was any chance of a discounted rate for this Best Western hotel due to the fact we were doing this cycle for a small charity funding everything by ourselves. I can`t remember if the hotel was fully booked but unfortunately we were not able to stay in this motel however the manager had a twin hotel round the corner which he comped us out of a good will gesture for a free nights accom! This was a great touch and was massively appreciated! Over the course of the 3000 miles we found that a couple of the Best Westerns were happy to allow us to stay a night either discounted or for free. Thank you again! From the motel reception it definetely looks like a nice place to stay and will make sure to stop by the next time i visit Route 66!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Matt, It was our pleasure to help you in your charitable efforts. Please stop and see us next time you are on Route 66.
Holdenville, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My dad and I stayed here last month on our way to Oklahoma. It was right off the freeway and access was really easy. The room was clean but definitely older and it had a funky smell, like bug spray. When I called the front desk, the clerk offered to have someone come and spray room freshener in it but I declined. I think the one thing I didn't like was the soap/conditioner/shampoo dispenser in the shower. While handy and probably cheaper for the motel to maintain, I think it's unsanitary.

The motel didn't have continental breakfast on premises but we got a coupon for the restaurant next door. You could pick from 2 different breakfasts and it was free. Honestly it was better than I expected.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Rascallymom,
Thank you for staying with us during your trip. The reason for the dispensers is not about cost. It is our way of trying to help our environment. Those pesky little plastic bottles of all the products are contributing to our landfills. I appreciate the feedback and we use it to enhance our customer experiance.
Arroyo Grande, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

On my cross country trip, I was fortunate enough to stop at the Best Western Colorado River Inn. I saw it was well rated on TripAdvisor and decided to see for myself.

After a prompt and friendly check-in, I went to my room. 2nd floor. Clean, well kept. Refrigerator and microwave were included. Reasonable TV as well.

Bathroom was clean and well appointed. The only downside was the gel/soap dispenser. This should be changed to individual soaps and shampoos. Make sure to bring your own shampoo.

The bed was clean and comfortable. I slept well and woke rested ( a good thing considering I had a 14 hour drive ahead of me).

The adjacent restaurant (Juicy's Famous River Cafe) was good. Nothing extraordinary.

I understand that hotel has a pool and other features that I did not utilize. However, others have rated them favorably.

Would I stay again? Absolutely!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
pcrouch, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Colorado River Inn, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Barisarius,
Thank you for your thoughts, we switched to our current bathroom amenities to try and be a little more environment friendly. Each tub/shower is stocked with Shampoo, conditioner and shower gel. The vanity area is stocked with soap gel and lotion.
Oakland, California, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

If you are looking to stop for the night in the Mojave desert, this is a good alternative. Like most Best Westerns, this motel is a few hundred yards from a freeway off ramp. An added feature is that it is situated cheek-by-jowl with the BNSF railroad tracks, full of loaded freight trains grinding uphill on their way west. However, you are not in Needles for the scenery, but for a good night's rest, and the rooms are quiet and clean. The free breakfast at Juicy's next door is nothing to write home about -- a better choice is the Wagon Wheel, across the street, where the truckers eat and the atmosphere is true desert kitsch. P.S., do not buy gas in Needles, it is much cheaper across the river in Arizona!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel.
Pleasanton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Our final night on a spring break roadtrip left us with the choice of overnighting in Needles or Barstow. On the suggestion of someone we met at Grand Canyon, they told us to try Juicy's restaurant in Needles. By chance the Best Western was located right next to Juicy's, the waitress said it was a nice hotel - so we stayed there (got 10% off meal at Juicy's as well).

Staff was very pleasant and check-in was a snap. Rooms were very good, clean and spacious. All had a good nights sleep.

Room contained all the modern amenities - good WiFi, lots of outlets for charging.

We used the pool, it was very refreshing on the hot night in Needles.

If my travels brought me through Needles again, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am happy you enjoyed your stay, wifi, pool and the restaurant. We welcome your input and hope to have you back in the future.

Been to BEST WESTERN Colorado River Inn? Share your experiences!