“Decent and convenient place to stay for the price.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express South - National City

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express South - National City to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express South - National City
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1645 East Plaza Blvd, National City, CA 91950 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 8 hotels in National City
Paramount, CA
“Decent and convenient place to stay for the price.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

Bad news first: The room had a musty smell. The television had lines at the top of the picture. We never did complain about the television, so they might have changed it if asked. The downstairs ice machine was broken, so we had to go upstairs to get ice. Our room was right by the front desk, which is why my husband complained slightly about the noise. I didn't notice the noise in the room at all. I slept right through any noise.

Now for the rest: I wake early, and went out to the breakfast area. That area was noisy, but that was no fault of the hotel. Families let their little children run around to get out some of their energy. If you want quiet, collect your breakfast and go back to your room. The breakfast was better than a continental breakfast. Besides the pastries and bread and jelly, there were scrambled eggs and sausage, make your own waffles, cereal, juice, milk, and coffee. If something ran out, you simply have to ask for more from the server in the room attached to the dining area. She cheerfully refilled the coffee, eggs, sausages, etc. several times while I sat there. So, deduct the cost of a breakfast per person from the cost of your day. This was a definite advantage.

The hotel is close to downtown San Diego, Coronado, and near to major attractions. The folks who work there were all friendly and helpful. The hotel was not a luxury resort by any means, but we didn't expect that it would be at the price that we paid. I would stay there again, and I would recommend that family and friends do so as well at the price we paid. I would not pay over $100 per day for it though. Parking was free.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Vancouver ,b.c.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

for a non -smoking hotel,the room smelled a little musty,but we got adapted
quickly. The bigger problem was noise, we both are light sleepers and I
requested a room that is quiet, on the top floor. We got the top floor,but
we got three young guys next door who were jumping up and down and
shaking our whole room.They went in and out of the room slamming the
door every twenty minutes until 1a.m. The front desk person phoned them
but they still slammed the door- we wre not offered a room change.
The building is old and flimsy, the floors bounce when walking on them.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2008

My family stayed at this Comfort Inn while we visited the San Diego area. The room was clean and quiet and the location of the hotel is perfect! We rented a car and drove to Balboa Park, Mission Beach, La Jolla and Legoland in Carlsbad. The staff was very polite and helpful. Breakfast was good. They offer hot and cold cereal, toast, bagels, pastries, fruit, hard boiled eggs and make your own waffles. Overall,our stay here was pleasant and we would not hesitate to stay here again!

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Nothing negative to say!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

I had never heard of National City before, and it's a quiet city the hotels main street has everything like lots of restaurants, pharmacies, groceries stores. everything was so conveniently with in walking distance. I definitely recommend this comfort Inn. Oh and their staff was wounderfull they didn't miss a chance to go the extra mile for me several times.

• Liked — the staff and the cleanliness was imaculate
  • Disliked — pool hours
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

I made my reservation based on the reviews in Tripadvisor.com. The hotel is very easily accessible. The registration was handled professionally by the night clerk and gave information about the hotel's amenities. Since I travel about 100+ nights a year, it is good that have a professional staff to give you the lowdown on what time breakfast starts and arranges a morning call. The continental breakfast only lacks fruits in the morning or a yogurt. It would be nice if that was offered. The room was very clean, but the towels were frayed and worn. There was plenty of parking in the lot. Channel selection is better at this Comfort Inn than others that I have stayed. Keep up the great work; I will stay here again.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Towels; breakfast selection
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
orange county
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2007

We live in Orange County and we stayed here for 1 night during Memorial day weekend. We decided to do a last minute trip to SeaWorld, and a lot of hotels were booked!

This place is about 10 miles or so from Sea World and had vacancy when we called the week before our stay.

The neighborhood appears to be a bit run-down, I'm assuming because we are closer to the border of Mexico here. (My husband made reference to Downtown L.A.) I made sure to park my car close to the hotel entrance, but other than that, we had no worries. The hotel parking area is gated but has open access to anyone.

The lobby looks new and everything was beautiful. Check-in was fairly quick, we arrived at approx. 4 pm.

Our room was nice and clean. The fridge kept our drinks very cold, which my husband loved. No microwave in our room, but we had a coffee maker. The bathroom was very nice, and looked like the tile in the shower was granite as well as the sink countertop. Very nice soda vending machine & ice machine. Looked to be fairly new. TV had lots of cable channels. A/C worked very well, beds are nice and large (we had a King), so no problems with sleeping.

We printed out maps before we arrived of the locations we wanted to visit, Sea World, Little Italy, Old Towne, SeaPort Village, since we drove our own car to the hotel, we had no problems getting around.

The staff at the desk are young, i.e. early 20's, and when asked if it was possible to take streets to Old Towne, we were told yes, and it would be a bit long but the scenic route. We contemplated it until another staffer spoke up and said it would take us over 1 hour to get there, and we were better off taking the freeway and we'd get there in about 10 minutes. We ended up taking the freeway.

The free breakfast looked like a good spread. Lots of juices, pastries and a wafflemaker, however we wanted to eat in SeaPort Village, so we skipped the breakfast.

I've stayed at motels such at Motel 6, and Travel Lodge, I'd say that this Comfort Inn is one level above those.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2005

I checked out of this hotel 15 minutes after checking in. There were no lamp shades on the lamps, only one electrical outlet worked and it had 2 extension cords running from it for the lamps of which only 1 worked. The ceiling was falling away from the fire sprinklers and there was water stains around the dripping fire sprinklers. I was afraid to put my luggage down. After calling the night manager, they tried to move me to another room that was in the same condition. I had to argue to get my money back. This place should be put out of its misery.

• Stayed July 2004, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express South - National City? Share your experiences!