Bad news first: The room had a musty smell. The television had lines at the top of the picture. We never did complain about the television, so they might have changed it if asked. The downstairs ice machine was broken, so we had to go upstairs to get ice. Our room was right by the front desk, which is why my husband complained slightly about the noise. I didn't notice the noise in the room at all. I slept right through any noise.
Now for the rest: I wake early, and went out to the breakfast area. That area was noisy, but that was no fault of the hotel. Families let their little children run around to get out some of their energy. If you want quiet, collect your breakfast and go back to your room. The breakfast was better than a continental breakfast. Besides the pastries and bread and jelly, there were scrambled eggs and sausage, make your own waffles, cereal, juice, milk, and coffee. If something ran out, you simply have to ask for more from the server in the room attached to the dining area. She cheerfully refilled the coffee, eggs, sausages, etc. several times while I sat there. So, deduct the cost of a breakfast per person from the cost of your day. This was a definite advantage.
The hotel is close to downtown San Diego, Coronado, and near to major attractions. The folks who work there were all friendly and helpful. The hotel was not a luxury resort by any means, but we didn't expect that it would be at the price that we paid. I would stay there again, and I would recommend that family and friends do so as well at the price we paid. I would not pay over $100 per day for it though. Parking was free.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the smoke-free Holiday Inn Express San Diego South – National City and enjoy our complete renovation that will “awe” you. We are conveniently located off I-805 and are within minutes from San Diego’s biggest attractions. We provide a complimentary hot breakfast buffet, free parking, business center, fitness room, an outdoor heated pool and whirlpool. A host of amenities such as plush new bedding, 37’ LCD television with cable channels, free wireless internet, refrigerator, and microwave. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Tingo, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Holiday Inn Express South - National City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn South Bay Hotel National City
- Comfort Inn National City
- National City Comfort Inn