“A good alternative to pricier choices downtown” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express South - National City

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express South - National City to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express South - National City
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1645 East Plaza Blvd, National City, CA 91950 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 8 hotels in National City
Portland, OR
“A good alternative to pricier choices downtown”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I needed a room for one night with quick access to the naval base. The National City Holiday Inn Express turned out to be a great choice. The price was right and parking was free -- which was not the case with hotels I considered in downtown San Diego. The room was clean and the furnishings throughout the property were updated. However, the bed was a bit hard...more so than I have experienced at other HIEs. It was also clear that this property used to be something else. Despite the updates, the hallways had a musty smell and the bathroom fixtures were old and tired, For my purposes, this Holiday Inn Express was just right. However, if I were looking to stay longer in San Diego or had a more touristy trip planned, I would probably look around a bit more.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express South - National City, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear ToniPortland_OR

Thank you for your business and your review. Also, thank you for pointing out the convenience of our location for business travelers. We take pride in the cleanliness and overall layout of our hotel and I am glad you liked it.

I am so sorry that some of the updates were a let down and fell below your expectations. We also regret that you were not satisfied with the quality of the beds. Please accept our apologies for we we were not able to provide you with the best guest experience whcih we have always strived to provide.

Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

117 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

It is a very good place to rest after a long day at San Diego. Very good value for money and friendly staff. The rooms are clean and very comfortable. And they provide complimentary continental breakfast too!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I must admit that my expectations for the Holiday Inn brand are low, but I was pleasantly surprised with this property. The rooms have been recently remodeled/refreshed and they feel very comfortable.
My only complaint is that the air conditioning units are underpowered and could not keep up with the weather. Even with the unit cranked up to maximum it still felt hot and muggy in the room, and this was springtime. I would be very skeptical about staying at this property during the summer heat. But for an autumn or winter stay, these rooms are surprisingly good, especially considering the low price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I will start with kudos to "Ashley", she professionally and fairly handled the 1 night cancellation I requested. I was expecting the usual load of cancellation garbage, but it appears that H.I.E. (Natn'l City) understands that travel plans change easily.
Check-in was quick and courteous and as always, my H.I.E. room was CLEAN, modern, comfortable and ideal for a nice sleep (great pillows, comforter and dark, quiet room).
The breakfast was simple, but I was able to find healthy, fresh choices to fill up on. The coffee bar was excellent as well. Ashley courteously expedited my checkout and upon exit, I grabbed another complimentary "USA Today" 100% satisfied with this hotel. I will be using H.I.E. at every opportunity.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We really enjoy our stay here!
Good location, if you have a car. Short ride to shopping, major attractions,good restaurants.
The rooms are spacious, nicely updated and have a big fridge and nice size flat screen TV.
Among the 3 stars hotels, where we stayed on our California coastal trip it was far the best, we were really sorry to leave after 2 nights.
The check in/out was quick and professional. The free wireless internet was fast and reliable. The free parking spots are plenty in front of the hotel.
The breakfast, which was included was moderate, and ended at 9:30am, which was a little bit early to our lifestyles.
We loved the high quality, firm mattresses of the beds.
I would highly recommend this hotel to everybody!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
El Cajon, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Very nice and higly recommended. Very friendly front desk staff. Special thanks to Mireille. She is very friendly and accommodating. The room is very clean and nice. The interior design are very well coordinated. Quality of the bed is very good firm but comfortable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express South - National City? Share your experiences!