“love you Araceli” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bayview Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in National City
Bayview Inn
801 National City Boulevard, National City, CA 91950   |
San Diego, California
“love you Araceli”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2007

great vacation, thank you to the front desk person name Araceli. you put a great smile in my family smiles.

• Liked — Araceli the front desk clerk
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

10 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Washington, D.C.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2006

I've stayed at the Bay View Suites on multiple occasions over more than a decade, and I think it has good points and bad points.

POSITIVES: It's convenient to both San Diego and to all points south, including Tijuana. It's very close to the water, and it offers a spectacular view of navy warships in port, Coronado Island, and the San Diego skyline. It's an all-suite property, with a sitting room - bathroom - bedroom layout similar to what you'd find at an Embassy Suites. So you get plenty of room to spead out. The air conditioning works great, there's plenty of hot water, the selection of cable channels is good, and you get a minifridge and microwave. Continental breakfast is included, and there's a in-suite coffee maker.

Best of all, the rates are EXCELLENT for an all-suite hotel near a major city. I've had no trouble booking in the high 70s, and if you go to their web site you can probably find a rate in the high 60s:

---

NEGATIVES: This hotel is not convenient for those traveling by public transit or by taxi. You definitely want to have a car. Parking immediately adjacent to the hotel is limited, and sometimes you have to use the garage across the street. This hotel has changed hands several times over the years, and frankly some things are a little frayed around the edges. (But most of the worn stuff is in the common areas, and I've found the rooms to be fine.) The hotel is located in a working class neighborhood, so you won't find upscale dining and shopping.

SUMMARY: This hotel isn't as upscale or as perfect as some you'll find in San Diego or points north. But it isn't $300 a night either. If you've got money to burn, stay in La Jolla at some fancy resort. If you're on a budget and you're looking for a good value, stay at the Bay View Suites.

But do it fast. The hotel is slated for conversion to a condominium by summer of 2007. See:

---

• Liked — View and value for the dollar
  • Disliked — Parking in the garage across the street
  • Tips/Secrets — Book at hotel's web site and ask for a high floor
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2006

I didn't find this hotel as horrible as some reviews, it was clean and we found the staff to be friendly and helpful. BUT it advertises itself has 5 minutes from San Deigo. I don't think so. It was a $25 cab ride from the airport. It's not a really nice part of town - but if you don't have a car, it's only a few blocks from the Red line Trolley stop (8th street) to go into San Diego. But you do have to walk under the I 5 underpass to get there and cross the entrance...

We needed a suite and the price was reasonable for that. It was reasonable because we were in National City, not San Diego. We had a reservation there for a few days later and even though it cost me $25 to cancel it through hotel , I still saved money on cab fare.

Its not a terrible hotel, but if you can, find something in San Diego. It's much nicer

• Stayed June 2006
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2006

Do not believe that picture that they have put everywhere online. It looks like a nice high rise building. Yeah....when you pull up to it, you're like Oh no....it's very worn down and old looking, NOT new at all. Parking s----...you have to park across the street in parking garage that you contanstly have to make a u-turn to get into everytime. Blegh.

More importantly, the staff there is very unfriendly and look as if they are all depressed. When I asked for directions, she didn't even look up at me, just handed me a card with directions on it, and continued to stare at the computer screen with her head rested on her fist.

My main quabble was that I did not know anything about San Diego when I came here. If you don't either...DON'T STAY IN NATIONAL CITY if you don't have to. This town is ghetto and we were driving down the street looking for a decent place to eat (There are none) and we couldn't pass the stop light because there were 2 cars in front of us with males getting out and beating each other to the ground. All the gas stations there have bullet proof glass around their cashiers. We also went to the nearest mall (Chula Vista mall) to see a movie and the mall was getting ROBBED...so we couldn't even go in. Just horrible. It sounds like I am exaggerating, and I wsh I was.
National City is also farther away from the main attractions like Sea World, Zoo, Balboa, etc. It is very close to Mexico, however.

The common balcony was kind of cool, you are starring at some sort of Naval base- if you like that sort of thing. Room accomodations were Not clean, but not dirty...but I guess that's what you get for a cheap paid room.

• Stayed July 2004
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2005

This hotel was awful and unfortunately, all San Diego hotels were sold
out. I booked this hotel through Orbitz and I feel cheated since
Orbitz classifies it as a 3 star hotel. They claim it's near everything
with great amenities. Not true!
The rooms were absolutely disgusting. The room had broken furniture,
holes in the wall, wallpaper peeling, multi-colored stains everywhere
(couch, bed, carpet etc) and an awful smell of pee and mold. I felt very
unsafe which my feeling was confirmed by signs posted everywhere that
for the safety of guests they ask that people identify their visitors
although that did not seem very enforced. The microwave was dirty, the
fridge (besides dirty) had food inside with a horrible odor. I left a
note to housekeeping (with a tip) to remove the food but it was never
removed. The towels were old and with stains. The windows were covered
with a dirt film. There was not an alarm/radio clock, TV remote did
not work and you do not get more shampoo when you finish it.
The area around the hotel was scary. It is not within minutes of
downtown. The trolley is about 5 blocks which you have to walk under an
overpass highway.
All this for about $129 - $149 a night!
To top it off, there was a prostitute leaving a nearby room the morning
I was leaving.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2005

We decided to bring the kids down to SeaWorld, but everything in San Diego is so expensive. After calling what felt like every hotel in the city we happened upon this one. The rates were really good so we thought we'd take a chance. The room that they gave us was huge. It was like two rooms in one. We took the bedroom for ourselves and put the kids in the living room. My children loved that they had their own tv so they could hook up their Playstation game thingy. We had a great time in San Diego and will definately come back to this hotel next time we're here.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2004

Great customer service, area is a developing area and is looking good. There is construction going on just across the street but "noise in the wee hours" not likely. I stayed at the Red Lion for 2 weeks and did not loose one minute of sleep over the construction. They began well after the sun comes out and stopped about 2 or 3pm and didn't even work the weekends! Although hotel is an older property, rate was fair. The employees though had an obvious issue with agreeing on a uniform were as friendly as can be.

Been to Bayview Inn? Share your experiences!