“So nice for the price” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Playa Del Carmen
“So nice for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

We chose this hotel after having to leave a so-called "resort" due to the uncleanliness. We we got here, it was such a relief to have such a clean and new room! Our room didn't have much of a view or beach access, like we originally wanted in a hotel, but we didn't care. Only 10 min from downtown San Diego, it was pleasantly nice for what one might expect at a Best Western. Buster's next door has some great happy hour deals!

My only complaints:
1. The air conditioner made a funny siren noise (not loud, but enough to annoy you) when it wasn't on (I thought cops were pulling people over left and right!)
2. We had our "Housekeeping please" sign on our doorknob one day from 10-6pm and no one came. A little disappointing, and of course it was the day when we had no washcloths and badly needed a shower! We just called front desk and they brought up some.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Los Angeles, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

My family and I stayed at this hotel on it's opening weekend at a phenomenal rate, probably because it was a brand new hotel with no pictures and no reviews to be found. The location was excellent as we were 5 minutes away from Coronado (not including the 10 minutes you spend on the bridge no matter where you're coming from) where we spent 4th of July. Needless to say, the hotel was emmaculate - it was new!

However, not a minute after sitting down at the pool to watch the kids play, my husband and I felt like we were being eaten alive by invisible phirana's! After asking around, we found out that there was a swamp behind the hotel, so whatever insects that were hanging around in there were having a feast on us guests.

I wouldn't totally rule out staying there - especially for strictly business travel - but if WE return, it will have to be during the winter when litle critters find greener pastures.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

We wanted to stay in the southbay area so we could be near our family and friends. We asked the front desk if we could see their rooms. We fell in love with what we saw and immediately reserved a room. Free wi-fi with great reception in the room. There's a wonderful view of the mountains and I-5 from the balcony, and a short walk to the National City marina. Buster's resaurant has an awesome Happy Hour (2-7 pm). Excellent accommodations and perfect weather (70-80 degrees). This hotel is very comfortable, emmaculate, modern, and the entire staff is friendly and professional. We give this hotel a 5-STAR rating without the snobby atmosphere.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
BWMARINAGATEWAY, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2010
Thank you for taking time to review our property. I am very excited that you found our hotel to be a great fit for your needs. We use these reviews as tools to keep our hotel and staff aware of changes that need to be made in order to assure each individual stay is a wonderful one.
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

We needed one night before a flight out of San Diego. I found this hotel on Trip Advisor. I booked it for price and location. It's 8 miles from the airport and right off I-5. The hotel is brand new. The staff and room are exceptional. My husband used the pool and jacuzzi and said the temp. was perfect. We ate at Buster's next store-great food and service. I printed my boarding passes in the business center. I'd stay here again for sure.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

Our crew travels a lot for work and it is important that we can be comfortable and taken care of while we are there. The staff always made sure that we were happy with our rooms and service. They treated us very good and made us feel like more than just a customer. We stayed there for 4 months (4 days a week) and they treated us really good the whole time.
The rooms were very clean and comfortable.
I plan on going back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

This is a great new hotel! The bed was the most comfortable one we slept in on the whole 2 week trip. The room was very clean. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We wanted to go into San Diego for the evening, a short drive, and the hotel manager suggested the local trolley so we didn't have to drive after going out for the evening. He drove us to the trolley and on our return trip, we called him when we were 5 minutes out and he was waiting there for us when we arrived. And at no charge to us. They don't have a continental breakfast, but we didn't expect it because they don't advertise that they do. Overall a great place to stay!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Menifee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

We're just from Mira Mesa, but just wanted to get away from the kids and chose something close to Seaport Village and would accommodate our other kid Kona the Dog
We brought our dog for a small fee.
The staff was very proffesional, helpful and looked professional, the place was spotless.
My wife and I are going back tomorrow Oct. 10th 2009, because she has been craving the thin crust Pizza with spicy sausage from the Restaurant, I personally loved the egss benedict.
I'm sure we've all been to High End Hotels, however I found that the staff here was friendlier than some of the more expensive Hotels we've been in.
We have a well trained dog and wondered if we would smell any of the other dogs that have stayed, thankfully, the place was very clean.
I already reccomend to my other pet lover friends.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!