“Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Napa
Tucson, AZ
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2007

After staying in this charming hotel (or should I say "bed and breakfast" as it resembled that more than a hotel), I absolutely had to leave a review. Tripadvisor is where I begin all of my planning and I haven't been let down yet. Everything that has been raved about this hotel is 100% true - I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Napa. Here it goes...first, the location is perfect. Within walking or short driving distance are spectacular restaurants - whether you are looking for a gourmet Italian restaurant or a great downtown joint to grab a late night dinner. On the coffee table in the quaint lobby is a book that holds all of the menus of some of the best restaurants that Napa has to offer. Seth, one of the front desk clerks/concierge was fabulous - he had a prepared list of recommendations of restaurants and wineries ready for us when we checked in and was so helpful in guiding us in the right direction and making reservations for us. And the room - where do I start? I had originally reserved a romantic queen room with a fireplace and was pleasantly surprised when we had been upgraded to the largest room in the hotel (which, by the way has only 22 rooms). It was a king deluxe room with a fireplace and jacuzzi tub - room 207 (you can view the actual room on the website). To make the room even more perfect, because of the way it was positioned in the inn, there were no rooms on either side of it or below it. Perfect. If you can snag this room, you will be just as pleased as we were. (My only bit of advice is to avoid room 104 simply because it is located right next to the breakfast area and you will undoubtedly hear every clink of every piece of silverware starting at 7:30 in the morning). And, speaking of breakfast, throw in a wonderful (included) breakfast each morning in the beautifully decorated lobby - how can you go wrong?

I can't rave enough about this inn and I will definitely be staying there again!

• Liked — Bed; fireplace; cleanliness; comfort; location; charm; service - excellent!!!!!
  • Disliked — Avoid room 104 simply because of location
  • Tips/Secrets — Reserve far in advance due to the limited number of rooms (22) and request a fireplace!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2006

After reading the rave reviews, I decided to stay here myself. The hotel was very cozy and nice. The rooms had that awful "hotel" scent but the common areas did not. I think that is expected in any hotel. There was a fire roaring every night. They had free wine and mini sandwiches on Foccacia Thursday night. The sandwiches were great. Veggie and meat option. A great snack to soak up some of the wine we had been tasting all day before dinner. The woman at the front desk was very helpful in our dinner decision. She printed out a menu and offered to make reservations for us. I would certainly stay here again and maybe bring a candle :)

Stayed November 2006
Quebec City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2006

We stayed 3 nights in september. I found this place trough the reviews of TripAdvisor. What a beautiful place. Small, 22 rooms I think. Very cozy, the rooms were great. First night we had a Delux Room, which was in another building, we would of loved to keep it! It was soooo nice! For the 2 other nights we had a Standard room in the main building. It was very nice too. The staff was very nice and always there to help us find a restaurant for dinner!!! The breakfast, so yummy! The waffles, fruit salad...everything was very good. The hotel is also one block away from the main highway...very easy and 5 minutes by car from the little shop centers in Napa and 10 to 20 minutes for Yountville, Rutherford & St-Helena. I would return anytime!
Johanne & Fabien
Quebec City

• Liked — Location, Rooms, Breakfast
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Tips/Secrets — Close to the highway (1 block)
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sunnyvale, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2006

Where do I begin? Do I rave about the gorgeous room, the beautiful courtyard, the great staff or the 'extras' first? The room was amazing. I wish my home was this great. No awful hotel bedspread here! The bed was so comfortable, the bathroom was a dream bathroom and the chairs were comfy. The courtyard is well maintained and welcoming. The lobby felt like a grand sitting room. The staff was so friendly... they genuinely like being there. The extras: In season they have wine and snacks in the afternoons, cookies and cider/coffee in the evenings and yummy breakfasts in the mornings. Two words. Belgian Waffles. Cereal, bagels, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, juice etc. Right in downtown Napa, after dinner downtown an easy walk back to the hotel. I just hope I have a chance to go there again!

• Liked — I can't choose just one! Everything was great.
  • Disliked — Did hear some walking around noise from upstairs.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2006

I chose this hotel based on the reviews I read on TripAdvisor, and once again I was not disappointed. I got one of the larger rooms, and when I walked in the door, it was literally like entering a Versailles sitting room.

The bed was huge and so soft, there was a nice-sized couch and desk, the TV was ample and there was even a fireplace and a couple chandeliers. The bathroom area included two separate rooms--one area with the sink and such, and then a door that led into the toilet and large jacuzzi tub.

The staff couldn't have been more helpful. They always had the perfect restaurant suggestion or directions when needed. And everyone wasn't kiddindg about those waffles. I never thought I'd rave about waffles, but they had the perfect consistency and were so yummy!

Since this is a smaller hotel, housekeeping was very attentive and I never ran into them still cleaning my room or experienced frustration at my room having not been cleaned yet.

When I read the earlier reviews, I expected the parking areas to be sorta scary, but they weren't bad at all. There are parking lots on either side of the hotel, so there's always enough room to find a parking place somewhere. (Although keep in mind that the lot on second street opens up to a one-way street, so you might have to make a couple extra turns if you want to end up back on California.)

I would definitely return to the Elm House Inn again!

• Liked — The friendly staff, amazing rooms, waffles and overall experience.
  • Disliked — The first night, I could hear some traffic from the street, but I got used to it quickly.
  • Tips/Secrets — Get one of the rooms that has a jacuzzi tub!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
San Francisco CA USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

My wife and I had stayed at the Elm House Inn on several of our previous trips to Napa in years past, but as good as it was then, It has just gotten better!

They have added a new extra-deluxe wing, a conference center, a large, circular outdoor jacuzzi, all new landscaping, and garden sculptures to their facility. Everything is upgraded, new and deluxe. The rooms, furniture, baths and linens are especially beautiful and comfy. The lobby is like a fine club. And the free breakfast served every morning in the lobby is worthy of the finest inns in the world!

With only 22 rooms, and growing fame among visitors to the Napa Valley, you will need to book early, even in winter. But when you're among the fortunate priviledged few, you will sing their praises just as we do.

• Liked — The world-class breakfast, the quiet and convenient location, the beauty and comfort of the rooms, the wife, and the friendly helpful staff.
  • Disliked — Hard (impossible?) to get last-minute reservations, especially in summer.
  • Tips/Secrets — Plan ahead and book early. Don't even think about missing breakfast. And schedule some quality time relaxing in the jacuzzi.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

We booked three nights at the Best Western Elm House in September 2006 after we read the reviews on this site. They were all accurate. This hotel is a beautiful converted house with spacious rooms, excellent service and a great location from which to explore both Napa and Sonoma valleys. The breakfast waffles have already been described in detail by other reviewers but they really were something else, and my wife and I still miss them now!

The staff are all very attentive and friendly, and provided lots of useful information regarding the area. The massive file of restaurant menus that they hold proved very useful in deciding our dining options each night, and the internet access in the dining area was a nice bonus.

We used the hot tub once, and this was heavenly, a well kept secret. The dining area also doubled as a relaxing rest area where fresh lemonade, iced tea and cookies were provided in the afternoon. It was just like relaxing in someone's lounge. Apparently there is also wine tasting at the weekends (we stayed Mon, Tue and Wed) so remember to time your stay better than us!

The only slight downside, and this wasn't the hotel's fault, was the round the clock construction work on the freeway intersection that started just after we arrived. At first we marvelled at the fact that work continued throughout the night to ensure a quick turnaround, but this soon turned to annoyance. Some guests were moved to other hotels, but we stuck it out. The owner did actually go and complain to City Hall and the level of noise did reduce slightly in the evenings. Jet lag meant that we weren't sleeping anyway!

We would definitely recommend this hotel for a stay in Napa.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Elm House Inn? Share your experiences!