“Very comfortable room but outdated” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #17 of 27 Hotels in Napa
Long Beach, California
“Very comfortable room but outdated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

The hotel is conveniently located close to Napa restaurants and wineries. Try to get a garden room with a patio on the first floor. Usually very quiet and nice green scenery. The bedding was very comfortable for sleep. The furniture is dark and a bit outdated. Hotel definitely could use a face lift, especially for a main chain. The restaurant food was very average. I have ordered wild King Alaska salmon, which turned out to be soho. The waiter did not know the difference. I replaced the dish with lamb meatballs. There were tasty but the kitchen used canned tomatoes for a sauce...as I am a member to reward club, I had a full access to concierge lounge. Definitely worth it. Breakfast and dinner had ample warm choices and assortment of drinks. The outdoor patio is comfortable but be aware about conventions and private dinners conducted there. It takes away the relaxation that you want to experience when sitting outside.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Werner M, Director of Rooms at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Olga P,

Thank you for staying with use during your most recent visit to Napa Valley. We know that there are plenty of choices out there.

You are correct; our garden rooms are very popular and have a beautiful view of our lush green gardens. To ensure you are able to reserve one of these rooms in the future we recommend that you call us a few days prior to your check-in. We recently changed out our bedding and even mattresses, and I completely agree with you; they are very comfortable.

You would be pleased to know that we are scheduled for a room renovation in 2015. The rooms will be completely updated and there will be a significant difference.

We have shared your feedback regarding the restaurant food with Chef Whitmer; we are very particular when it comes to food quality as we promote a complete garden to table experience. We even have our own Heirloom garden on property that Chef and his team cultivate.

I am happy to hear that you found the elite lounge to be a benefit, which is exactly what we are striving for when it comes to elite benefits and service.

Your feedback is truly appreciated and we are looking forward to be serving you again in the very near future.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

First the good thing: breakfast at the cafe in the lobby. Food was very good and the waitress was very friendly and pleasant.

The not so good things: it was greatly overpriced for what it is. The rooms looked tired and stuck in the 90's. The furniture was dated and none of it matched in color or style. The bathroom was very very basic as well. The ceiling in the room looks awful - horrible popcorn and it has some kind of paneling underneath the popcorn and just looks cheap and ugly. The bed was good. The cleanliness of the room seemed fine. The pool is old and ugly and absolutely inadequate for the size of the hotel. The weather was beautiful, but the small pool area was overcrowded and there were no lounge chairs available, with people on top of each other, so we couldn't really use it.

We stayed around July 4th and the price per night was close to $350. It's not an awful hotel, but at that price mark and for what it offers, it's really a rip-off.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sonny K, Director of Sales at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear GeorgeFTL,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Napa Marriott. We sincerely appreciate your candor and value your feedback. Please know that I have shared your comments with our entire executive committee as we are always receptive to ways in which we can improve. You will be happy to know that we are ordering new furniture for our pool area that we expect will not only beautify the area, but alleviate times where lack of chairs become an issue. We hope to see you again in the fall so you can experience the new look!

SonnyK
New Orleans
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this resort on a recent trip to (June 2014) Napa. The layout of the facility was not ideal...our first room was so far away from the front desk/pool and restaurant area and a world away from the gym (which is in a completely different building). My husband had a meeting at the hotel the first day so I basically stayed in bed, happy to sleep all day to recover from the hike through the Redwood Forest the day before. Each time I sank into a deep sleep I was awakened by the strangest pounding, banging and sliding coming from above my room. I thought I was on the top floor so couldn't figure what all the noise could possibly be from. I called the desk finally around 5pm to ask. The lady (she will remain nameless) that answered the phone actually laughed at me and told me I was on the second floor and there wasn't anyone above my floor. I told her that it sounded as if I was beneath a meeting room and every few minutes everyone in the meeting decided to slide all the furniture from one side of the room to the other. She half heartedly said she had no idea what I could be hearing bc I was on the top floor. I assured her that I was not crazy and told her that if it continued I would call her back so that she could come to hear if for herself. To that she said, "Pfft...I don't have time for that." REALLY???? How rude can the staff actually be? It was near 5pm and the sounds had stopped. The next morning at 9am they started again. I called the desk and guess who answers? I tell her the sound is back and that I am actually feeling as if I am under a bowling alley. The windows and doors are rattling I explain. I ask her to send someone to investigate if she is "too busy". She agrees to send engineering. Waiting in the hall for him to arrive I encounter my neighbors also joining in the hall to see what the raucous is all about. no one shows up. I call her to say that everyone is now in the hall trying to determine where all the noise is coming from. I think she still does not believe me. She says she is waiting to hear from engineering. Shortly thereafter I receive an apologetic call offering to move my room to the other side of the hotel because they were putting a new roof on above my room!! I told her that I thought she was rude and (since I had prior experience in the hotel and hospitality industry) and it was shameful to laugh at a guests concerns. she agreed. I agreed to the move but it had to wait until my husband returned at lunch from his meeting. I ordered lunch through her from the hotel menu and waited for my hubby. apparently, all the roofers waited for him too. the congregated for hours in the parking lot outside my window and (maybe) weren't allowed to work until we moved. I paid for my lunch, paid for the bellman to move my luggage to a first floor room (despite our preference to never be on 1st floor) on the OLDER side of the hotel. don't need to tell you that the room was hardly equivalent. we felt downgraded. I thought they could have at least have paid for lunch, offered a spa experience...anything for the inconvenience. the new room was near the housekeeping storage so that was noisy talking by staff in the halls in the morning and all day, but worse than that the hall had a MOLDY, nauseating, dank smell in the hallway. I was afraid to be moved again. other issues..I ordered lunch on day two from the restaurant for my husband to have during his break from the meeting and well....they did not start making it because they weren't sure which one we wanted. no call to clarify or use of their brains to determine that we ordered from the menu in the room and had no idea of other options on menu in restaurant. my husband paid, tipped and came to the room to await the food. it didn't arrive during his break and when it did it was delivered by room service-hence tip #2. now we have tipped more than the actual cost of the food that he did not get to eat! I had enough and expressed it to the poor boy that delivered the food and he was kind enough to arrange to have the meal price taken off our bill. lastly, they royally screwed up our wash and fold, billing us $117 and $35 in phone calls-not made by us, but thankfully, Natalia the manager took those off without question. WHEW! I gave 2 stars for her. Today we realize that we didn't even get credit for our stay on our rewards account despite being told at check in that we would obtain the next status at check out. I think we should get triple the points!!!!! we checked out and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express South of the San Fran Airport for our last night. It was 1/3 of the price, cleaner, quieter and the staff more courteous-oh and delicious complimentary hot breakfast. I would never stay in the Marriott in Napa again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Shawn M, General Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write such a candid review of your experience at our beloved hotel. You will be happy to know that the work being done to our roof is now complete, but I can imagine how frustrating that must have been for you. Not the best environment for relaxation.
I take full responsibility for this and want to personally apologize for your experience with us.
Please have a wonderful remainder of your summer and thank you for staying at the Napa Valley Marriott. Cheers!
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

For the price that we paid, I expected a lot more from this hotel. The hotel hallways were littered with food trays and crumbs. Some hallways smelt like kitty litter. The furniture in the room was a little outdated and worn. The hotel layout was confusing and not convenient where we had to walk forever just to get to the lobby. The only positive was the staff at the front desk was very friendly.

Stayed July 2014
ChefBW, Exec Chef / F&B Director at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Eileen 1649 -

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our Napa Valley Marriott Hotel and Spa.

We are sorry we fell short of your expectations during your stay with us and can only imagine how disappointing it must have been for you.

We are pleased that our front desk team did a great job for you and we look forward to the opportunity to exceed your expectations on your next visit with us.

Brian Whitmer
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed here for a couple trip. It was close to all Napa Valley cities and the wineries. The hotel was better than we expected.They have a Starbucks coffee. Good service, big roons and parking free.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello SouNiFeRo -

Thanks for taking the time to give us a 4-star review for our Napa Valley Marriott Hotel and Spa.

We are pleased we exceeded your expectations with our service and property experience and that you enjoyed our hotel's many amenities.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Cheers!

Brian Whitmer
Milltown, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

It was your typical Marriott...BUT the cleaning staff did and outstanding job the whole week. The front desk people were also very pleasant. Gym was small and even though the restaurant was good - the menu was small and the place could have another restaurant on site. Overall, if I was in the area again I would stay there.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Shawn M, General Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel on TripAdvisor! We are very happy to hear that our housekeeping team did such an outstanding job during your stay. I like your suggestion about another restaurant on site, and we will look at the size of our current menu. Have a wonderful summer and thank you for staying with us!
Murrieta, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed here with our daughter, son-in-law and 2-year old grandson. Everything was wonderful! After arriving late due to severe traffic and 12 hours on the road we were happily surprised the restaurant served meals until 10 p.m. - the food was good (ribs were a little spicier than I would have liked so perhaps a mention on the menu would have been nice) and the wine list was wonderful. When I asked about a wine I didn't see listed the waitress brought something lovely!

The beds were exceptionally comfy and clean - everything was perfect and we would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Some downstairs room have glass doors giving access to the parking lot for luggage - easy!