“'Just Misses The Mark'” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 27 Hotels in Napa
Columbus, Ohio
“'Just Misses The Mark'”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel really as the potential to be one of the best. Exceptional staff, superb decor, wonderful food, clean and cozy rooms, great location are all part of an excellent experience. Unfortunately their smoking policy literally stinks. We had settled in at the pool (there were also families with small children) and cigar smokers nestled in as well (no signage not allowing this).
In the evening as we sat around the comfortable couches to enjoy the fire (loved this atmosphere), the majority of the non smoking guests were met once again with cigar smokers. We honestly couldn't take anymore and called it a night; how disappointing.
When we returned home, the Marriott sent a review and we voiced our concerns about the smoking policy. The management never responded.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Shawn M, General Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for your thoughtful review, and I truly believe it hits the mark. Because of your comments we have purchased additional no smoking signs to place in all of the areas you mention (near the pool and fire pits). The Napa Valley Marriott is a non-smoking facility and we are thankful for your feedback both on this forum and via the Marriott survey. I personally apologize for not getting back to you when you mentioned this concern in that response. Have a wonderful Summer, and thank you for choosing our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Redwood City, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We had 6 women staying a Saturday night for a girls weekend in Napa- even though there were several events happening at the hotel, it never felt chaotic. We were able to check in early, since we had lunch reservations at French Laundry, and they helped arrange a van taxi to pick us up at the hotel and take us to the restaurant.
The service was excellent- they took our bags up to the room, as well as put the 2 bottles of champagne we had in the fridge. Later, we lounged in the patio area, and it was quite nice; they had happy hour wine tasting and a jazz band playing in the lobby.
That evening, we wanted to get a bite to eat, and the Marriott had a shuttle that took us to downtown Napa, and the driver kindly arranged to pick us back up close to midnight. Very convenient and again great service!
Some of us had spa appointments the next morning, and I was pleasantly surprised with the spa- spacious and serene, it had steam room, hot tub, showers, large lounge room. I had a massage, grapeseed scrub, and mini facial, and it was all wonderful; the scrub had a Vichy shower, which was a great experience!
I would highly recommend the Marriott a a great base to stay at if you are wine tasting or just looking to relax!

• Stayed May 2013
Hi Sandra and thank you for spending your girls weekend with us! It sounds like you all had a great time in our beloved Napa Valley, and we really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with everyone. I think you are the first to mention our Vichy shower! It is amazing right? We hope that you plan many more of these getaways, and know we will always be here to help make it an excursion to remember.
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed here for a conference recently, and found the conference facilities to be better than many - the food was nice, connectivity solid, and staff gracious. That said, the stay was flawed, and given the fact that I received a conference rate, I cannot really judge if the hotel merits your business given the pricey rates of nearby Napa hotels.

Here's my experience: Upon check-in, I got some attitude from a young woman at the front desk, who later identified herself as the reservation manager. I have racked up many Marriott points and identified myself as a longtime Rewards member. I told this woman that I was coming off a horrendous week (my cute VW bug needed a new transmission for $6K, but that's another story!), and I asked for a nice room. Her response was, "Oh yes, you're in a nice one," and off I went to a garden view on the first floor. The room was ok, and there was a patio with a sliding door. Being highly claustrophobic, I need to sleep with an open window, and was concerned that being on the first floor, I couldn't lock the screen. I called the front desk and asked if the screen locked - they weren't sure, (shouldn't they know their rooms?) - and explained my situation. With an attitude, the reservation manager offered me another room on the second floor overlooking the freeway but said I had to make up my mind now because there was only one room left. Mind you, it was only 3:00 p.m., long before most guests check-in and I doubt someone would mind an "upgrade" to a garden room. I asked about the noise, reminding them of the reason I needed to move - an open window at night - but was told it's a little noisy. Let's deduct big points so far.

The Bell Captain came and helped me move, and he couldn't have been nice - add back points.

The new room was VERY noisy with the window open (not an issue with it closed). Despite going to bed at 9:30, there was SO much noise, I didn't fall asleep until midnight, and awoke at 3:00 a.m. due to the noise, and never could fall back to sleep. Deducting points.

The next morning I went to the front desk, and shared my experience. I said that even though my employer had prepaid the folio, I would need to find another hotel, if they weren't able to move me. Based on the zero availability talk by the reservation manager the day before, I was not optimistic. The new front desk staff (I believe her name of Rosanna) was so nice, and said there were plenty of rooms, and even offered to help me pack so I wouldn't miss my offsite meetings that were to begin in ten minutes. Add back lots of points here...

Turns out the A/C in the new room didn't work, but I didn't discover that until the following day. They checked it out and said it couldn't be fixed, but gave me a couple of options - move to another room (I declined this one!) or get an additional 15,000 Marriott points (I took this one!) Add back points.

I can definitely say I am a fan of most the hotel staff who went out of their way to be gracious. Just not sure on the location, since the hotel is next to Hwy 29. If you can sleep with a closed window, it won't be an issue for you. Put this review in context with others, and decide if it's for you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Shawn M, General Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for your thoughtful description of your experience with us. Our front office team discussed your review at our last meeting in order to ensure that everyone understands the importance of your concerns. All of us at the Napa Valley Marriott want to ensure that our guests get a good night's rest and please know that we very much appreciate your feedback. We hope that you will decide to give us another try. Thank you and Cheers!
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Had a unbelievable experience at the Napa Valley Marriott. The Hotel was great! The restaurant was superb, and the conceirge was "Over the Top"! Laura was super knowledgable, professional, courteous and on the money! I will absolutely stay at this resort again and utilize Laura! Thanks again Napa Valley Marriott!

Room Tip: Everything was great!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Shawn M, General Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you Raymond for this "Over the Top" review! We live by that motto, because we want all of our guests to love their experience in the Napa Valley. Laura definitely represents our core values well, and I thank you very much for talking about your experience with her. Have a great Spring and we hope to see you at the Marriott again soon.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This property definitely met Marriott standards. The breakfast, hors doeurves and dessert concierge service provided quality food; not your standard "hotel" food. I was impressed! They hosted live music in the lobby that was fantastic. The overall aura was fantastic! The location is conveniently located near a Trader Joe's which this Floridian appreciated. (We don't have Trader Joe's in Central Florida). I would definitely stay here again when visiting Wine Country.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Gator Girl, that has to be one of the coolest review titles yet! We are extremely proud to have Brian Whitmer, our Executive Chef, on this team. He has an extraordinary culinary mind, and one that is very in tune to the seasons and fresh ingredients. Thank you for visiting us from Orlando, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Novi, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a girls wine trip and were blown away by the service at the hotel. We worked with Laura (concierge) from the hotel to help with our travel plans and car services and she was amazing. She went out of her way to help suggest dinner recommendations and also arrange transportation for us. We had an issue with one vehicles the car service sent and she was very quick to call the company and they made it right with us for the ride back. The staff in the concierge room for breakfast were also very friendly and the breakfast was very good!

The only issue was the pool was outside in the middle of the building and it was loud at night with the speakers blasting until past 11pm. If you are going to bed early because of the time difference request a room with windows not overlooking the pool area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Laura was our associate of the year for 2012, and I think you experienced why! She epitomizes our service culture, and I really appreciate you taking the time to let the world know how amazing she is. Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to organizing your next wine country adventure.
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I am wrapping up a 5 night stay here and I can say it is a nice hotel with a nice vibe. My room (2118) was spacious and very clean. Although the hotel is right off highway 29 (Trancas Ave.), you would not know this unless you really looked for it. It is quiet. There is plenty of parking.

The overall facility is in great shape. It has had recent renovations to the common areas. Outside the main lobby in the courtyard is a comfy area with lounge chairs and fire pits. We (my colleagues and I) spent a few evenings just hanging out and drinking wine. By the way, there is complimentary wine tasting every evening.

The concierge was helpful. The Executive Lounge had amazing snacks in the evenings. Breakfast had a nice assortment of egg dishes and a great granola cereal that should not be missed.

I will stay here again!

Room Tip: Face the courtyard, you will have a better view than the parking lot.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
It is always exciting to get such excellent feedback from a Senior Contributor to Trip Advisor! We agree with your assessment of our "vibe," and really appreciate your thoughtful comments. Our fire pit area was built for what you describe, drinking wine with friends and colleagues. We will keep that fire burning for your next visit, and thank you so much for staying with us.

Been to Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!