“A trip back in time” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas
“A trip back in time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and I recently spent two nights here at this lovely Inn in downtown Napa. This historical building is charming and quaint. You felt like you were back in time with its old fashioned decor. There were old photos and signs all over sharing its history with you. The staff was very friendly and helpful with booking wine tours and dinner reservations for us. Our room had a historical placque in it so we were able to learn its' history. Found it interesting to know that the original floor was still there and they had played basketball on it at one time. The room was clean with a very comfortable bed and spacious bathroom. We enjoyed delicious breakfast items delivered to our room each morning from the wonderful bakery next door. The location was great, as we were able to walk to restaurants and around town very easily. Make sure to visit the unique mosaic fountain around the back by the old mill. It is beautiful. (photo included) I feel the Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill is a great place for a romantic getaway in the Wine Country.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sara Brooks G M, General Manager at Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to the Napa Valley. Our sense of place is felt throughout the property and I'm so very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and all of the historic charm we have to offer. The original Bird's Eye Maple throughout our historic rooms was not only once a basketball court (some of the wood was destroyed and we used the old gym from Napa High School built around the same time to fill in our gaps), but it was also a skating rink on the second floor of our Historic Building above the lobby of the hotel. Right next to your room was a secret meeting hall at the turn of the century. There are so many delightful stories to be told! We hope to see you soon and at that time we'll have not one, but two fountains on the back patio worth taking the time to see!

Napa River Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

It was my wife birthday and we traveled from Texas...The River Road Inn was great...the "Sweetie Pie" breakfast in the room was great....the staff was superb...The Wine Train was fun and the food was great...we had a lot of excellent wine with our meal and the food was excellent. Special thanks to Sara for all her help...We did the "left my car in San Francisco" option but discovered that the bus left too late to catch the last flight from SFO to Houston....Sara made many calls to the Train folks and arranged a limo earlier to make our connection work perfectly! Sara also recommended "Twenty Rows" tasting...it was just slightly off the beaten path...not far though...Twenty Rows was not listed anywhere else, but it was the most enjoyable tasting/ vineyard room in the town of NAPA....the owners entire family came in during an visited with us during the tasting and several locals came in and purchased the wine while we were there. It was a great time!

The room was a little expensive...but the room was excellent and other than the elephant occasionally bouncing across the floor above us we had no complaints.

My wife is anxious to return and I'm sure we will soon.

Avoid the "Fish Story" restaurant on the water near the hotel...slow service and very average food (to be kind).

Room Tip: I said average pool/spa because I don't think there was a pool...if there was I didn't use i...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello John, Thank you for staying with us and writing this detailed review! One of my favorite tasting rooms in all of the Napa Valley is Twenty Rows. It's good to hear that you enjoyed it as much as I do. Please tell your wife Happy Birthday from me and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We celebrated my father's 75 birthday here. Liz, one of the two concierge staff called to find out where we were planning to eat dinner, booked us on the wine train and planned for us to be taken directly to the station. Eceryone was so incredibly gracious. We had a cake in the room. Liz and Laurie wrote my father a birthday card!! The breakfast was yummy. The bath products were lovely. They even helped me make my father a scrap book!! We felt so welcome and we can't wait to go back!!! Thank you.

• Stayed August 2013
Sara Brooks G M, General Manager at Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Wow, 75 years old! Thank you for sharing his special day with us. Our concierge staff is nothing short of amazing, I'm happy that they were able to make your stay extra special. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Boca Raton, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I don't think I've ever given a really bad review before, but I am doing it now. I booked a room at the Napa River Inn for August 11th. It was more money than I've ever paid for a hotel room but I decided to splurge. The description of the room stated "ONE BED FIREPLACE RIVER VIEW OR BALCONY" When we got there, it was a first floor room in the corner with one side facing a large boardwalk and the other side facing a restaurant. There was no fireplace and no balcony. The river was on the other side of the boardwalk area, so technically it could be considered river view.
When we walked in the door, we could plainly hear kids playing tag on the boardwalk. I went to close the window and was surprised to find out that it was closed. The boardwalk and restaurant were busy until late so it was impossible to sleep. The included breakfast was very good, but they did not get our order right so I had to walk over to the restaurant to get the complete order.
Overall I was very disappointed in our stay. This room would be fine as a standard room, however I paid for a premium upgraded room and this was not it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. I'm disappointed to hear you found your room unsatisfactory. Our hotel is priced comparable with other hotels in the area for this time of year and we try our best to provide a good value to our guests. I wish we had known you found your room unsatisfactory during your stay as we usually can find a room to your liking while you're here. We hope you'll be able to give us another try next time you are in town and please contact me directly if you decide to do so.

707-251-8500
Hopkinsville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

From the moment we checked in until we checked out our experience was fantastic. The room was very spacious with all the amenities you could ask for. Breakfast from the bakery was a delight. All the staff was very helpful especially Liz Alessio, the concierge that was working during our stay. She represented the Inn to the highest level. She made several dining suggestions and wineries to visit and made those reservations to make our stay memorable. She even went to bat the next day to secure us a reservation time that we preferred that wasn't available the day before. Kudos to everyone on a fine property

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sara Brooks G M, General Manager at Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for staying with us! I'm so glad to hear you had a wonderful time while you were in the Napa area. Liz will be thrilled to read her name up on our board this week! We have the best concierge staff around. Hope to welcome you back again soon.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I'm not sure it's possible to be more "in the heart of it all." The setting is great with shops and restaurants right on the river front. The prices may look high, but the packages make it a very good value for Napa. "Dinners on Us" gives you $100 gift card for one of three local restaurants plus a substantial and yummy breakfast delivered to your room. We had a river view but would recommend something above ground level on that side. The room was nice -- comfortable beds and a large all-marble bathroom. Spa robes, WiFi, balcony... but the more impressive piece of this visit was the lobby experience. They know what they're doing and the lobby/front desk/concierge reflect that 100% the minute you walk in the door.

Room Tip: River view is good but ask for an upper floor. Also consider that the tide goes out in the afternoon...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and posting this lovely review! I'm happy to hear that you found our location and service exceptional. We love being "in the heart of it all" within Downtown Napa and I'm glad you did too! See you next time.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

The area around the Inn is nice, clean, and feels safe. The Inn itself is pretty, the rooms and bathroom were spacious and clean, and the staff very pleasant. Our room was almost $300 for a Monday and we had a view of the building and restaurant next door. We couldn't even sleep with the windows open because of the clinking of dishes and laughter of the people in the restaurant. The breakfast from Sweetie Pie's was included but I wasn't impressed (although the baked goods were pretty good). We were a close walk to a lot of places but what we didn't know was that a lot of the tasting rooms closed at 6pm. The hotel could do a better job with concierge type services. We could have taken a bottle of wine up to our balcony and....oh that's right, we didn't have a view. On top of it, since we were close to the street we were woken early by the delivery trucks in the morning. Pretty place but I would have no reason to go back.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us recently. I'm sorry to hear that you found the price high for the value you received. We try hard to provide the best value in the Napa Valley and I apologize that we let you down. We do have have many rooms that are available with a river view and balcony - I hope you'll try us again next time you're in town and we'll be happy to provide you with a room on the river that will be more satisfactory.

Napa River Inn

Been to Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill? Share your experiences!