“Perfect location in historic Napa” 4 of 5 stars

Let your romance sizzle!
Ranked #3 of 25 hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Perfect location in historic Napa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

After a visit to Napa a few months ago, we were amazed at the improvements they have made to the city. We decided on this trip to stay in the city, instead of Yountville where we usually stay. The Napa River Inn is the perfect location for exploring Napa, easy walking distance to all restaurants and shopping. We upgraded to a River view room but our location on the corner was not ideal. Our room was comfortable though and the bathroom surprisingly spacious. The bed was very comfortable and the bed in breakfast amenity a nice touch and very good. Without a gym or pool it's definitely a city hotel, good for touring rather than lounging. Having the restaurant Angeli next door was a plus and minus. Great food and relaxing place for lunch but loud at night. Complementary wine tasting every night was a nice perk and having a coffee maker on the room with limitless access to coffee and free wifi, huge benefits according to my husband. If we stay in Napa again we would return to this historic hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
Sara Brooks G M, General Manager at Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
I'm glad you tried Downtown Napa on your recent trip to the Napa Valley! The changes in Downtown have been nothing short of amazing - and there are new businesses popping up all the time. Hope to see you back again soon.

822 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

While the hotel tries hard, it is outclassed by the many upscale competitors in the Napa Valley. My wife and I recently stayed at the Napa River Inn during a 5 day business trip. Our room faced the river in the Embarcadero building. The room itself was dark, despite three sets of windows overlooking the walkway next to the river. The bed was relatively uncomfortable, although when prompted, the staff flipped the mattress which helped. The breakfast delivery in the morning is a nice touch and the Angele restaurant next door (not to mention the fabulous Morimoto) provide terrific dining options that are close. That said, the hotel seems tired and dated and if you end up with a room facing the parking lot, you'd be better off at a much cheaper motel. The bell staff was energetic and very helpful. The front desk staff seemed stressed and fairly unfriendly.

There are many great hotels and resorts in the Napa Valley and we've stayed at several of them. They were all sold out the week we went and thus, we ended up at the NRI. It's not cheap, over $300/night for the weekend yet it really doesn't come close to competing even with the much newer Westin down the road. On my next trip to Napa I will stay elsewhere.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
I'm sorry to hear that your stay was "just OK"! We try hard to make sure that everyone's expectations are met when staying with us at the Napa River Inn. Please contact me directly if you'd like to discuss your stay or if you'd like to come back and give us another try. I'll make sure sure your stay is perfect.

707-251-8500
Cotter, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

PJ & I took a nice vacation and stayed here for 2 nights. We stayed in a nice suite and had breakfast from Sweetie Pies sent to our room each morning. The best thing, I think, was the bathtub. It was a stand alone tub with a high back. I love baths and this was probably the MOST comfortable tub I've EVER been in! The staff was also very friendly, but I'd go back just for the tub.

Room Tip: This place is supposed haunted. 207 and 208 are the hot-spots!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Denise,

Our claw-foot slipper tubs are definitely a reason to come back! Just big enough to immerse yourself, not so big that you get lost in it. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back again.

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This hotel was wonderful! There isn't much to add that hasn't already been said, but the highlights for us were the friendly, helpful staff, the delicious baked goods delivered to our room for breakfast, and the comfy beds. Oh, and the garden space along the river was just gorgeous. The room was not huge, but was big enough for two people in two beds and had plenty of counter space in the bathroom for toiletries. We will definitely stay here again if we return to Napa.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Sara Brooks G M, General Manager at Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for staying with us! We are very proud of our gardens - our Master Gardener loves hearing all of the wonderful feedback so I'll make sure to pass it along. The gardens are ever-changing so come back and visit us a different time of year to see all of the new growth!

Pleasanton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I really loved my two day fun stay in Napa. I really enjoyed the inn. Since I was with my best buddy, another girl, we had a two bed room. The problem was they only had rooms with 2 beds on the bottom floor. Normally I would have been very uncomfortable because I always request a higher floor, but, this felt very safe. Also it was Napa during the week and the town doesn't really come to life until Thurs and is very busy over the weekends. I also felt the room was a little stuffy and didn't want to open the window being on the ground floor, but, that is just me. With our room they also gave us two $100.00 dinner gift certificates and we were able to try two excellent restaurants and we also received 4 coupons for wine tasting at the Bounty Hunter. We also had a free breakfast from Sweetie Pies which was good but not great like I expected it to be. It really was a great deal and we both enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: If you don't need 2 beds then there are other choices and I believe the rooms would be really ni...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of our dinner package during your stay, I'm so glad you enjoyed it and you were able to get away for some girl time.

Moraga, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I recently took a 2 day trip to Napa and loved the Napa River Inn. Everything about it was great -- the staff couldn't have been more gracious, the location is terrific (within walking distance to lots of restaurants and shops) and the room, although small, was extremely comfortable. The towels were thick and lush, and the robes in the room were incredible -- again, so thick and luxurious. The breakfast in bed (or on our patio) from Sweeties was great -- a whole lot of choices but quite yummy (the scones I had both days were incredible). If I have one complaint -- and it is a minor one -- is that the lighting in the room was not great. The canopy over the bed makes it a little difficult to get the light from the bedside table, making it a little less comfortable for reading before going to sleep. Like I said -- a very minor complaint. Having a ride to and from the Wine Train was a special treat (although we had not been advised that this was offered -- we were told only when I asked how far the wine train was from the hotel; also, we had been told the car would be waiting for us when the train got back to the station. It wasn't. I had to call the hotel to remind them that we were waiting. Not a big deal, but a slight gliche.) All in all, I'd highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We had one with a patio which was lovely for enjoying our glass of wine in the evening and our break...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and writing this lovely review! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and only had the one minor glitch. I will make sure we pass it along to our staff in our weekly meeting to make sure we communicate to guests properly about the wine train pick ups. Come back and see us soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed for a couple days on a quick trip to Napa. My friend and I got a courtyard room with two double beds. The room was spotless, and looked more like a B&B than a hotel. We both appreciated the yummy smelling shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and lotion. The room faced An attached restaurant and was a little noisy at night and in the morning. But the overall service was excellent and we really enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for writing this nice review! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you took advantage of our in-room bath amenities. We feature NV Organics which is a local company that uses grape seeds and all natural ingredients in their products. We agree that they smell and feel yummy!

Napa River Inn

Been to Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill? Share your experiences!