“A Great Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“A Great Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed here for two nights. Our room was clean, comfortable and quiet -- well appointed with nice furnishings and amenities. It was a little dark because it was on the lower level, facing the pool. But it was quieter than some of the outside rooms.

The price was quite fair and good value. It was among the lower priced options in Napa when we were there. The office staff was courteous and helpful and the housekeeping staff did an excellent job.

The office staff person (wish I knew her name) gave us good directions and helped us select a dinner restaurant from the options we presented. And her advice was excellent. Another office person helped me find a Best Western to stay at near the SFO.

We don't love Dennys but the breakfast was quite fine and service friendly and efficient even when the restaurant was quite busy.

I wish this hotel was located in a prettier place -- that is the only reason I withheld a fifth "star." This is really an excellent place to stay in Napa.

Room Tip: If you prefer a quiet room ask for an inside room, away from the parking areas.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
bwvines, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at the Vines, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and my staff could help you with all your needs.Come back and see us again when you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Key West, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have stayed at this property for over ten years of and on. I have been happy with every stay. I have watch them remodel and rejuvenate their rooms time and time again, they make a real effort to make the place appear new every year. It is a great location, down town but close enough to the vineyards. It is with out question the BEST value of any motel in or around Napa. Cost to value is tremendous and there is a Denny's right next door (I love Denny's). The employees are great and these guys go over their rooms with an ultraviolet light to check for ultimate cleanliness.....amazing! Enjoy you stay..I am sure you will

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
bwvines, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at the Vines, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thanks for the sparkling review. We believe in clean. "As part of the I Care Clean program, housekeeping staff at all Best Western hotels in North America will be empowered to exceed customer expectations in an entirely new way using several tools to clean guestrooms and common areas such as black lights and UV wands. "

We are glad you continue to stay with us when visiting the Napa Valley. See you again soon!
California Hot Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I was so pleased with this hotel during my stay. My check in was great and my questions were answered for everything that I needed to know. Melody was so helpful with my stay and offering tasting passes to her favorite places in Napa. It was a delight to talk with her and I would have to say that it was a great customer service that she showed over the weekend I was there. She has a lot of paitence and a very calm person while dealing with rude customers that dont appreciate others. I will return to stay at your place every time I come to visit Napa. Thank you Melody for everything and for being a paitent person. To the manager of the property you have very clean rooms and comfortable beds. Your workers are great and I hope they continue to stay on with you for years to come.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank your for your review and I am happy you enjoyed your stay. Melody is a great asset to our Hotel and I am glad she could answer all your questions and made your stay enjoyable. We have many employees that have been with us for 15 + years. One, Margaret, has been with us the day we opened our doors. We are all like family here and I know it shows with the compliments we get on service. Come back and see us soon!
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We had stayed at this hotel before and were again very pleased with our stay this time. The room was very large, comfortable and had all the amenities we needed. The bed was comfortable, the room was nice and clean and despite being on the first floor, very quiet. The breakfast passes for the restaurant next door provided basic meal and to be honest that was the only part of of our stay that was not really ok. But overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to spend a few days in Napa.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
bwvines, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at the Vines, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for your review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. The breakfast at Dennys is something we are looking at and by most part positive, but we are always looking to improve in all areas. Hope to see you again the next time you are in the Napa Valley.
Seekonk, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I wish tripadvisor had "1/2" stars for our use because I would have given this a 2 1/2...3 is too high.

This was our first hotel of 8 different ones on our Napa/Pacific Coast vacation, so I have a lot to compare it to.
I have many other reviews on this site and I try to be fair when reviewing any property we've sayed at.
Having said that.....
It was my first experience at a Best Western brand and if this is a "plus" property I would not want to stay at a non-plus one.

I disagree with the person responding to all of the other reviews...this is not a "good value" or "comparable value" to other hotels in the area. Who are you comparing yourself with? When comparing properties you need to look at the amenities of hotels in your price range.

You are priced as high as other properties but those properties have better/more amenities or are closer to vineyards, therefore it's not a fair comparison. It's like comparing apples and oranges...both fruits but there are many different qualities.

Now back to the property....
Don't expect to see any "vines" even though the word is in the name. This is located on a very busy road surrounded by stores and restaurants. If that's what you're looking for, great book it, just be aware that there will be a lot of traffic noise and light polution.

Cons....
The pool's capacity is 8 people. That should tell you something about the size. I'd guess it's 8X10' (that's probably a generous estimate). In my opinion putting in a couple of extra hottubs instead of the tiny pool would have been more beneficial.

The balcony we had was so "closed in" and dark. The "solid" front and sides don't allow you to see anything when sitting in the chairs, not that the view was great....we looked out over Denny's roof and a traffic light.

Oh, Dennys. sigh.....went our first 2 mornings. Ordered the "free" entree of 2 eggs, 2 pancakes and 2 bacon or sausage. Getting a "hot" entree I guess is impossible, the food was cold to the touch. My husband faced the kitchen and saw the breakfasts sitting up on the counter for a long period of time before the waitress bothered to serve it. There were maybe 4 other parties in the restaurant at the time, not busy at all. The tea water was luke warm at best. Total waste of my time.

Location...not your "romantic" getaway place by any means.
About 20 to 25 minutes to the heart of Napa's wine country depending on traffic. In hinesight I would not have booked this hotel if not for the MANY( now suspicious in my mind)...reviews.

I find it hard to believe that this many people think this hotel is "the best". Really? After spending 3 days in Napa and seeing many other hotels closer to the wineries, I question the validity of these "raving" reviews.

Pros....

Yes there are a few...I promised a fair review and that's what I deliver.

Shower....best shower head of any hotel. In fact I'm looking for one for my own shower.

Cleanliness....our room was very clean. Small in size in comparison to other hotels on our trip and just an armoire instead of a closet. Microwave, fridge and coffee pot was a nice convenience.

Bed/pillows....very comfortable.

So if you're looking for a clean place to sleep that's a bit overpriced than book this hotel. If you want to see vineyards from your balcony and sit by a nice pool...don't book this property. At most I would expect to pay under $100 a night for this property based on it's location and lack of amenities. All the renovations in the world don't matter to me if they're not available when I'm there. They need to charge accordingly.
We paid $537 for Saturday, Sunday and Monday evenings. I now know we could have spent the same money and stayed at a better property. Oh well, live and learn.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
bwvines, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at the Vines, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for your detailed review. First, we do compare our hotel to our competition by actually going to all the hotels in our class and looking at their rooms and overall condition of their property. Each hotel will have their pluses and minuses. We also shop prices on a daily basis and we make sure we are competitive in our market. We actually have all the prices of the hotels on the days you stayed and only one hotel was less than our price and its located 9 miles south of Napa, further away from the vineyards. On average you would have paid between $75 -$200 more for your stay in a comparable hotel.

All Best Western’s that have at least a 3 diamond recognition from AAA have the opportunity to be a “PLUS” property as long as they have a PIP( property Improvement Plan) in place. With the cost that runs in the hundreds of thousands of dollars it will take time for each property to complete. There is a time frame on completing this and we are well ahead of the deadlines. Our rates are similar to last year’s (before Plus) and we have added breakfast at Denny’s and many more amenities.

We never hide the fact that we have a small pool (12’x 18’4”). There are pool area pictures displayed on our website and other 3rd party sites. When a guest inquires about the pool we let them know that we have a small pool. We recommend other hotels if a guest are looking for a larger pool.

As for reviews, all reviews are honest and we know that there will be a difference of opinions and as you can see we are rated in the middle of the hotels in Napa. We are a family run hotel and take pride in our hotel and are always looking at ways to improve. TripAdvisor is way too smart to let “suspicious” reviews slip through as it is their reputation and ours.
Thank you for your compliments on the cleanliness of our rooms, (we are an ultra clean property) our shower heads and beds. The shower heads are by Delta and I’ve actually seen them at Home Depot. The bed that was in your room is a Cheshire IV pillow top by Serta.

Thank you again for your review.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has nice room, quiet and clean, good service, well located. They give a 5$ coupon value for the breakfast at Deny's restaurant, it not the greatest breakfast of my life but it do the job. Nice welcoming. Free parking.You have to take the car to go to downtown. Don't go to this hotel for the pool and spa, a little bit small. We liked this place.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. Come back and see us again soon.
Seekonk, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This place was a dud..Swimming pool was more like a bath tub... The view from the balcony was of a traffic light....Location is not bad, but not next door to vineyards...Worthy of no more than $75-90.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for your review. We are always trying to lead in the best value in the Napa Valley. During the Harvest Season the demand is very high and we are inline with our competition and our average rate is one of the lowest in the valley. Tip: Best hotel rates are between November 11th and April 30th.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at the Vines? Share your experiences!