“Exceeded Our High Expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Old World Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Napa
Old World Inn
1301 Jefferson St, Napa, CA 94559   |
Special Rate
Napa for $169-199/night !
Ranked #16 of 25 Napa B&B and Inns
Buckhannon
“Exceeded Our High Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Not even sure where to start. The rooms were nice and the meals (breakfast) were tasty. We arrived with high expectations and these were met. But the service FAR exceeded our already lofty expectations. The staff was very welcoming and gave us a quick tour as we checked in (very much appreciated!). They were exceptionally considerate of my gluten allergy and made sure all breakfasts, snacks and chocolate treats had something I could eat. After one quick night during a very long road trip, we decided to ask to extend our stay. The manager went out of her way to find a solution that fit our tight budget so we could stay an extra night. If we're ever back in the Napa region, I would stay here without hesitation. It was a wonderful experience from beginning to end!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

573 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Anaheim, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed here 20 years ago, and was excited to come. Apparently the Inn and ownership has changed, and so has the charm. Don't get me wrong, its still a nice Inn. I'm sure when you stay here, you'll think this is a great inn, but I remembered the "old" inn where the innkeepers greeted us, and went out of their way to call us by name, and offered information to us voluntarily. To me, that's an "Inn" or a B+B. The personal touch.

I hate to sound like a parent comparing their children, but this new OWI is run like an "hotel" instead of a Inn or B+B. There's a check in desk, where you must check in during certain times, and on their schedule.. yet during the 3 days we were there, we never got the name of our "host" or "hostess" once (or as one reviewer said, the employee). Not once did they call us by name, or knew what room we were in. Very impersonal.

Also on the website, they raved how we would be innundated with culinary food and chocolate. Well, maybe need to add this disclaimer: you'll get the dessert if you beat the other guests to it.

The old OWI literally had the dining room table lined with cakes, wines, sherry and cheeses. After a long day of wine tasting, you'd walk into the foyer to see this abundance of food. I think once they had 3 cakes, 2 types of cheese and 3 wines!

This new OWI makes you walk "around the corner" for wine at their sister hotel, and there's a small plate of mini cookies at 5:30, and 2 covered dessert plates with 12 servings at 7:pm, and it was never replenished. They assumed guests would only take 1 or 2 (as there's a sign asking us to be courteous and share) but on our 1st night, we saw no dessert at 8:30 pm. Our lost, eh? Well, this Inn does have make your own coffee and teas 24 hours, and a library of DVDs to watch in your room, but unfortunately so do other places.

Ahhh, Breakfast: The reason for coming to a B+B and not going to a hotel, right?? The breakfast is good, but I felt so rushed!! Plus the menu wasn't as diverse as the web site claimed it to be. 3 days we had some sort of souffle/ egg dish. It was good, but it wasn't a culinary explosion.

You arrive at the dining room for breakfast between 9:00-10:00, get yourself a cup of coffee, maybe some juice or water at the counter, sit down, and before you can finish (or begin) your first course, the staff is coming out with one of the daily hot souffle dishes, garnished with the salsa mix.

Come on, let me drink my coffee first! Instead of taking my time to eat, I get to shove my 1st course to the middle of the table, and then debate on starting course 2, or finish course 1. Really? Isn't this supposed to be a vacation?

During breakfast, not once did a staff member come out to chat with us, or make any experience personal. Its a hotel like atmosphere but you get breakfast in the dining room. I was chatting with another guest about my experience at a winery, and another guest ask me how long I've worked here. SERIOUSLY, she thought I was am employee because I was paying more attention to the guests than the "inn keeper". I laughed and said I'm not an employee, but my BF and I have been coming to Napa mulitple times this year.

So... As soon as you're done with your meal, the staff comes swooping down to take away your plates, utensils, and anything else. Basically its like "Ok you're done.. move on out!".

We stayed in the suite in room 2A + 2B, and if you're a light sleeper, the neighbors above you will sound like elephants when they're walking in their room. Thin floors. Also BYO hair dryer. Its not very powerful. The bathroom lacked towel racks (and there were 3 of us sharing) but did have plenty of drawer space to put our toiletries inside.

Yes, I'm being harsh on this Inn because I've been a MANY MANY other B+B's in Northern Cal and beyond. This is just as good as the others, but they do need to add a bit of PERSONAL charm. Its like going to a steak house. I've had a Porterhouse. This Inn is equivalent to Sirloin... its tasty, but it just lacks that extra flavor.

Would I go back?? Probably not. The memories of the OLD, Old World Inn overshadows the lack of charm this one has. I'd find a B+B where the innkeeper interacts with the guests, and like Cheers, is a place where they remember your name.

Room Tip: Floor are thin, but theres no elevators, so if quiet is better decide if hauling luggage is worth go...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Napa_Old_World_Inn, Owner at Old World Inn, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Oh, Michelle, I was so saddened to read this. You're right-- you didn't see me during your visit because I was sitting with my leg in a cast and could not walk anywhere. My wife Sharon was there, but she was running around doing all the things both of us do in a day. I am SO sorry!

I would have loved to chat with you about what the Inn was like 20 years ago... talking with guests and taking care of them is one of our favorite things to do!

We're sorry about the chocolates. I mention this when I give the house tour, and always ask guests to let us know if we run out (we do check them periodically, but we can run out if folks ahead of you take a bunch).

We would have been happy to leave a plate with chocolates in your room.

We would also have been happy to bring some wine to your room. The reason we have the wine reception across the street is because we have a wonderful wine cellar with incredible antiques, and we love sharing this with our guests. I'm so sorry if this was off-putting for you.

We do dim the lights in the living room after 7 pm each night, and you're right-- the room you remember (light blue flowered wallpaper with pink and blue bows on the ceiling) is now painted a beautiful shade of forest green and gold, because we felt it brought out the rich, warm colors of the incredible old-growth redwood in those rooms.

We also removed the Art Deco style cold blue glass light shades, and replaced them with a much warmer European amber glass, in part because it's so much more period correct (the house was never Art Deco). The new amber glass gives the entire room a warm, rosy glow.

We like this so much we made it the first picture you see when you go to our website. I'm so sorry you didn't care for this new decor... along with the stone fireplace, all of these changes were made to enhance the feelings of "the old world"...

I'm super sorry breakfast was served too quickly for you. We would have been happy to hold it for a bit. So many of our guests have appointments at the wineries that we work very hard to get our souffle's out quickly, while they're at their peak flavor and appearance. Again, I'm really sorry about this. We didn't know.

The only reason we remove empty plates so quickly is, well, that's one of my pet peeves. I hate sitting in a restaurant with dirty dishes in front of me. So we ask staff to clear things away when guests are done. After we do this, some of our guests spend the next hour chatting with each other, enjoying another cup of coffee or tea.... This happens almost every single day! If it didn't happen any of the 3 days you were with us, that's unusual. Some folks do need to get to the wineries by 10, because they have pre-arranged tours and tastings (partly why we work so hard to get breakfast out quickly for everyone).

I feel worst that you felt all of us were impersonal. We don't wear name tags because we like to be more folksy and down-home. But we do introduce ourselves. I must admit, though, I'm *terrible* at remembering names-- I apologize for this every single day. I wish I were better at this!

I'm writing you a more private response as well, because we would like to meet you the next time you're up in this neck of the woods. I just feel really, really badly that we were not here for you when you visited.

On the day of your arrival, I left a hand-signed note in your room with my phone number, asking you to call me if there was anything I could do for you. During your stay I was with guests every day. Sometimes it was on the phone, because I have to keep my foot up in the air right now, so it kind of limits my mobility. But other times I was in the common areas, chatting with guests. I am truly sorry we did not meet.

I've taken a very special bottle of wine out of my private cellar, and have put yours and Stephen's name on it. I would love to share it with you should you have the chance to return. I sincerely hope that you do. We would like that very much.

With Warm Regards,

-Russ Herchelmann
Innkeeper/Owner
Napa Old World Inn
Lenox, MA USA/Berkshires
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

When I decided to visit my son in Napa, I chose to stay at Old World Inn. I have to congratulate myself on this decision: great location a short and pleasant walk from the center of town, friendly staff, spacious room with all of the amenities, the warming firepit on cool nights, an excellent and filling breakfast, and KT, the cutest and most mature seven-year-old. Sharon and Russ, keep up the great job!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Cambs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Napa and the Old World Inn was perfect for our needs - easy walking to a good choice of restaurants in the evening and the location was peaceful in spite of being on a fairly busy road. The staff were friendly and helpful from the moment we arrived, offering advice on restaurants and then booking them for us. The room (La Biblioteca) was very comfortable with lots of character, as was the rest of the inn. The breakfasts were good, offering a choice if the set breakfast was not to your taste, and the communal set up we find is always good for meeting people. The 9.00am breakfast is possibly a little later than we would like, but not really a problem when spending your days wine tasting. We attended the wine tasting organised by the inn one evening - we thought that was a nice touch.
The Napa and Sonoma valleys were beautiful in the October sunshine, even if you're not that interested in wine. We are, and had a great time. Cline vineyard in the Sonoma recommended for a friendly atmosphere and good wine. Mumm vineyard is in a beautiful setting and worth visiting - great photography gallery.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

4 of us girls needed a place that we felt safe and was within walking distance of restaurants. We were in the next door cottage in the adjoining two bedrooms with one bathroom downstairs. It was fairly minimal but the beds were very comfortable, the tv's were nice, it was quiet and the bathroom had 2 sinks, although a very small shower. Breakfast was also good, having various souffle's and fruit. We also had to check in late but the process went seamlessly and we had no trouble.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Loveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Spent three nights as part of an anniversary celebration. Ruth greeted us as if she had been waiting all day-made us feel so welcome. We were in La Biblioteca which was perfect for us. Breakfasts were delicious but I agree with others in wishing there was more flexibility in the time. We had a 10:00 am tour scheduled and felt pressured to eat and be ready to leave. The evening wine tasting was a little odd. Have to walk across a busy street thru a parking lot and into a basement. Probably explains the low turnout. The location was great for walking downtown and the Inn had arrangements with several restaurants for VIP treatment. Quibbles aside everyone we talked to was very helpful and if ever in Napa again we would probably stay here.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sutton, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

What we remembered as a charming inn from our first visit, albeit many years ago, has morphed into a multi building mega-business venture. In fairness, our room was tastefully appointed and clean. That's the good news.
Not once during our stay were we met by the "inn keepers", only their employees. Another personal touch lost.
A brief tour upon arrival was considered adequate until later that evening when the multi function heating/AC control in our room required adjustment sans prior instruction.
The breakfast area (it is billed as a B&B, right?) is now located in a claustrophobic faux wine cellar basement setting with metal tables and heavy wooden chairs which when moved on the stone floor create less an atmosphere of country inn dining and more of a cafeteria cacophony.
A noticeable and annoying lack of sound mitigation was especially apparent in the evening between rooms and wooden floored hallways.
A sad demise of what once was a Napa gem.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Old World Inn? Share your experiences!