“The Best Wedding Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Churchill Manor Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Napa
Churchill Manor Bed and Breakfast
You added Churchill Manor Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
485 Brown Street, Napa, CA 94559   |
Ranked #10 of 24 Napa B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Louisville
“The Best Wedding Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

My partner and I booked the "Simply Elegant" Elopement package as the law in California now allows same sex marriages. Everything was "simply elegant!" Victor was our coordinator and he did a fantastic job! I could not find anything wrong with how everything was put together. He showed great care in our wedding and also provided great input. We had absolutely no trouble with getting our marriage license (Thank you Napa County Recorder's Office!). We loooooovvvved the minister, Bob Grove! He was so great! Our ceremony was small and simple and it was exactly what we wanted.

Upon arrival Victor gave us an individual tour of the home and when we went into our room we discovered a bouquet of flowers from the florists because they felt bad about charging us for two boutonnieres so they included a bouquet of flowers. The room was spotless, the mattresses were brand new, the two person shower was amazing, the breakfast was fantastic.

If I were to ever recommend a place to get married this would be the place! I realize that it may be a distance, but it will be well worth it! The yard and area is large enough to accommodate 50 to 100 people.

The best part that I can say is everything was "picture perfect!" The property looked better then the photos, the breakfast was presented well, almost as if the chef was well experienced in culinary arts. Housekeeping was fantastic, and everything was superb.

This place really cares about their guests and it shows! As you can see from reading the other reviews that I am not the only person satisfied. It is extremely important to pick a place to host your wedding where no problems will occur. You have enough to worry about with out worrying if everything and everyone will show up on time. Victor told us many times just let me worry about all of your details, this is your day! He did a wonderful job! Please be sure to tip him and the minister, as they both deserve every penny!! Thank you Churchhill Manor for making our day the most memorable experience that we will treasure for a lifetime!

• Liked — Clean, quiet, and wonderful!
  • Disliked — Nothing bad to say at all!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Peoria, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

My husband and I were just married at Churchill Manor. Everything was taken care of and met our dreams and expectations - in most cases, our expectations were EXCEEDED! The room (Stag's Leap) was beautiful, spotless and huge, as well as comfortable. We loved the bed!

The food was delicious and the staff were attentive and helpful. I want to go back as soon as possible. They arranged our limo wine tour and it was so perfect and fun, we didn't go to all the large named wineries but were able to view many small and initmate wineries, it was very romantic and the wine was superb!

If you are considering gettng married, look no further. They do large wedding and even accomodated us, a couple on their own looking for a private intimate destination wedding.

• Liked — Perfect location for a wedding
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
San Mateo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

We spent Memorial Day weekend at this quaint B&B all thanks to my brother-in-law and his new wife. They were kind enough to treat a good number of family members to a weekend at the Manor as guests of their wedding celebration. I believe the room we stayed in happens to be the same room that a previous reviewer wrote a negative review about a few months back. I am happy to report that I could not disagree more with his/her review. Our room, although a tad bit on the small side, was well appointed, clean, and had a good mixture of old world charm and modern amenities. The bathroom was incredible, with it's newly installed tile and double person shower.

Overall, I truly enjoyed the laid back feeling I had while staying here. Each time I looked at my watch or the clock to see what time it was, it was always earlier than I thought it would be. Time just seemed to move at a more gentle pace here and that was a good thing. Susan was very helpful and it's obvious her knowledge of Napa and all it has to offer is extensive. She even provided us with a copy of a map so that we wouldn't lose our way while walking around town.

Finally, I have to give major accolades for how well the wedding ceremony and reception came off. The front lawn of the Manor is the absolute perfect setting for a wedding ceremony. And the side lawn seemed to easily accomodate the 80+ guests for the reception. Victor, another one of the Manor staff, was also very friendly and helpful throughout the reception.

Whether you are considering having your wedding celebration here or just coming for a short stay, I would not hesitate to recommend Churchill Manor.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2008

This is a belated review. My girlfriend and I stayed here in August 2007. I'd generally agree with the other 4/5 star reviews on the site. Churchill in and of itself is a great B&B and the innkeepers are terrific.

The only thing I think is imporant to point out for anyone thinking of staying here is the neighborhood and Downtown Napa in general (I haven't seen any remarks in other reviews, so I felt the need to comment). We had never stayed in Napa Valley before and weren't really sure what to expect, but we had visions of shops, restaurants, spas, etc. The grounds of the BB themselves are beautiful, but outside of this, the neighborhood definitely leaves something to be desired. It's hard to put into words, but suffice it to say it wasn't the charming picture we had in our minds. In order to get to the town itself you need to walk through some shady neighborhoods (we learned this our first night there and decided to drive the other nights).

If you've never visited Napa before, I'd recommend going a bit farther north...possibly Yountville or St. Helena (it'll cost you but it's probably worth it).

• Stayed August 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Napainnkeepers, Owner at Churchill Manor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 6, 2010
This response may seem overdue, but it’s actually a response whose time had not come until now. We have been sad and upset about this review for almost two years. Yes, this guest said Churchill Manor was great, our innkeepers terrific, and our grounds beautiful -- but they clearly had a bad experience in Downtown Napa, and went so far as to recommend against others staying in Napa altogether. While we felt very badly about their experience, we also felt helpless to defend or change whatever had happened to them that unfortunate evening. So, we have waited until now when we can confidently offer a clear contrast to the Downtown Napa this couple experienced during their August 2007 visit.

At the time they wrote their review in May 2008, many months had already elapsed since their stay in August 2007. In mid-2007, downtown Napa was going through a stage when the entire commercial section of town felt like a veritable construction zone. While Churchill Manor was separated from it all by one long block and insulated within our acre by tall hedges and trees, there was hardly a street in Downtown Napa that wasn’t littered with cranes and bulldozers. What was occurring at that time was the construction of a half-billion dollar federal flood control project along the Napa River, along with the infusion of huge amounts of private money restoring historic properties and developing outstanding new ones with sensitivity and appreciation for the Napa River.

When these guests stayed with us, it was our policy to warn against walking from our inn at nighttime through a massive construction project at the base of Main Street one block north of Churchill Manor. As is common with construction projects, there was no electricity or lighting, so it could feel pretty creepy and deserted at night. We must assume these poor folks either didn’t hear or heed our warning. We are so sorry for their bad experience and hope that they are still out there, able to read about Downtown Napa today.

Okay, then was then, and now is now. And, wow, is it now! We have waited two years for this opportunity to finally say with confidence, “Please accept our heartfelt apology for your past experience, but please please come back and look at Downtown Napa now.” A good place to begin is with the May/June 2010 issue of the AAA “Via” magazine. The gorgeous photo on the cover, showcasing the Napa Riverfront development and the stunning River Walk bordering the Napa River, is what has arisen from that construction zone one block north of Churchill Manor and what was the likely location of these guests’ unfortunate experience. “Renaissance Napa”, as it is being called, is simply amazing. And it’s not just us saying this, as journalists all over the country seem to agree. That shady part of town referenced by our guests will soon be the new home of Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto’s new Japanese restaurant, as well as Tyler Florence’s Rotisserie & Wine, and Lark Creek’s new Fish Story seafood restaurant. Our guests can now stroll from Churchill Manor to the newly completed River Walk which connects the restored Napa Mill with Celadon and Angele restaurants, Silo’s Jazz Club, and the Napa General Store, to Downtown Napa. The River Walk will ultimately extend six miles from the beginning of Napa to the north end of town.

Just a few blocks up the street, the Oxbow Public Market also opened in December of 2007, just shortly after these guests stayed at Churchill Manor. It now offers a wonderful array of about two dozen boutique restaurants and shops. Outside tables line the bend of the Napa River. The focus on the Napa River has also brought kayaking and river boat adventures to Downtown Napa.

Just after their stay, Ubuntu vegetarian restaurant and yoga studio opened in October 2007, rated one of the top restaurants in the U.S. In September 2007, Chef Ken Frank moved his Michelin-rated restaurant, La Toque, from upvalley into the newly completed Westin Verasa. Just this past year, several great new restaurants have opened including Neela’s (named one of the top ten new Bay Area restaurants), Norman Rose Tavern, Mini Mango Thai Bistro, Grace’s Table, and Oenotri. Popular eateries such as Cole’s Chop House, Angele, Celadon, Allegria, and Zuzu’s remain busy even amid the weak economy. Live music is now available in Downtown Napa almost nightly. The restored Napa Valley Opera House offers fabulous live performances from locals to national entertainers such as Wynton Marsalis and Willie Nelson. The Uptown Theatre has just been restored to its original 1937 condition and will open next week with musicians such as Merle Haggard and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.

For wine tasting, many of our guests now opt to spend a day or two to strolling from Churchill Manor to the wine tasting rooms that have opened in Downtown Napa since these guests stayed with us. Our local business association has created a tasting card which entitles our guests to complimentary tastings at 14 Downtown Napa wine tasting rooms. Next month will be the beginning of our Thursday evening Chef’s Market, Fridays will be free evening open-air concerts in Veterans Park, and the Farmers Markets will reopen Tuesday and Saturday mornings until October. Our guests now feel very comfortable strolling from Churchill Manor to Downtown Napa to enjoy all these wonderful happenings.

And then there are the historic homes located in our Napa Abajo National Register District, the second largest district in California. Churchill Manor was the first Napa residence to be placed on the National Historic Register in Napa County, and we are fortunate to also be a part of this district with over 300 nationally recognized historic homes. Although a few are still in need of restoration, our guests truly enjoy exploring Old Town Napa on our tandem bicycles. Or, if they desire a more in-depth tour, they can join up with George from Napa Valley Walking Tours who dresses in a top hat with 1890’s garb. George was recently featured in our local paper and Churchill Manor was mentioned as one of the tour highlights where guests can view our old-growth interior carved redwood columns, moldings, and fireplaces. Churchill Manor is a Napa treasure and, in truth, a living museum.

Yes, this response might seem a bit over the top, but everything in it is absolutely true. After reading this guest’s review for two years, it is only fair and appropriate that the traveling public be permitted to hear what has happened in Downtown Napa since then. Truly, it has been an amazing transformation and it’s just getting better every day. We sincerely hope that these guests will read our response and give Napa another chance. We are confident they won’t be disappointed this time!
Walnut Creek
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

My husband and I were married at Churchill Manor last weekend. We had a small ceremony with only 10 guests and we chose the "simply elegant" elopment package. Everything about Churchill Manor was perfect. The grounds, the staff, our room, the breakfast, it was all amazing. Best of all, our ceremony was perfect and beautiful. The officiant was friendly and professional and went out of his way to make sure we were happy with the vows beforehand. Susan, the innkeeper, was absolutely fantastic and she really helped me calm down before my walk down the aisle. Just knowing she was taking care of things put me at ease. The cake and champagne reception after the ceremony was just lovely and my guests truly felt comfortable and happy. They enjoyed the grounds and played with the mansion's resident feline, Eddie. They were all very impressed with both the mansion itself and the hospitality of its staff. There is also a lovely piano that my brother played during the reception and later that night after we returned from dinner. They also took care of ordering my flowers, I just sent them a photo and the matched it nearly exactly. They were stunning. I really can't overstate how thrilled I am with everything. I felt pampered and comfortable the entire time. Looking forward to returning for our anniversary! - The Deckers

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a two-night stay at the Churchill Manor. We had a very relaxing and enjoyable time. Susan was very warm and hospitable and helped us with reservations and recommendations. The room was comfortable, although not large. There is a complimentary wine and cheese reception from 5:30 to 7:30 every night that is a good place to meet other guests. We really enjoyed the breakfast both days - it is far more than a continental breakfast with very unique and delicious entrees and breakfast pastries. The inn is walking distance to several restaurants if you are worried about drinking and driving. We were afraid we would be bored at night without TV and internet since Napa is not known for its nightlife, but it was actually very nice to unwind and just read and talk for a change. There is one TV on the main floor in case you really want to watch something.

Stayed March 2008
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2008

We have just returned from a trip to the Napa Valley. I searched the Internet and Trip Advisor for a lovely bed and breakfast in Napa and the Churchill Manor did not disappoint. From the time we arrived we felt such a warm and friendly feeling with the staff. Our room (the Rutherford) was just beautiful. Bright and sunny with the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in while on vacation. The accommodations were top notch. The staff was wonderful, Victor was exceptional and we appreciated all the time and advice he gave us on the area. Our love and appreciation to him, Michael, Brian, Joanna and Susan for making our trip to Napa unforgettable. We'll be back.

Al & Eliz Caucci
Starlight, PA

• Liked — Staff and accommodations
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Churchill Manor Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!