“Napa Hidden Gem!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Napa
Long Beach, California
“Napa Hidden Gem!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

Just returned from 5 day 20th Anniversary Get-Away. This resort located in a industrial area sits on the same grounds as the Mertiage Hotel. We had a one bedroom studio which was just perfect for the price ( didn't have the points to book through RCI) and the two of us. The location of the resort is perfect, just off the highway and 4 to 5 miles from downtown Napa. You have to visit the downtown area - Allegria - Restaurant was the best. I mean the very best. The food and service was top notch - went there on our first day of arrival - 20th and then we had to celebration our departure with a great meal. Some of the other gotta try restaurants (sorry can't think of the names of them but you have to go and eat there) are right in that little square near the vistors information center, another one that stands out is Piccolini ( good - decent). Also go by the um... riverfront right off of First street near the courthouse and Napa Inn B&B a few other good eats and a delicious sweet shop. Don't go to Buttercreme Bakery! It was a waste of our time and money. Not one of our personal favs - have and MUCH MUCH better and the staff wasn't very friendly. Back to the resort for a minute: The staff at the Mertiage is great - people friendly and the bar area is perfect with great evening entertainment.

I am not a wine drinker but my husband drinks socially. We visited some very nice wineries - the most memorable being in St. Helena just about a 30 minute ride from the resort. Our two favorites were The White Hall and Prager ( actually met the owners). They are just off the main highway down the road from each other. Prager was very interesting because the tasting and wineries are in the backyard or basment of the owners summer home? Busy they are but very accommodating.

Heading back to the resort is a restaurant called The Mustard. Fine to California Casual dining. nice prices and the food looked very good but the wait was 25 minutes and we had, had too much to sip so we needed food ASAP (LOL). I mean a day full of sipping can take its toll.

Anyway, back at the resort there is a sufficient fitness center to meet your cardo needs and the pool and jaguzzi was great. This resort doesn't have a restaurant on site so you share with the Mertiage which is maybe 20 steps away. The food was always excellent.

I hope this write up helps and if you have any further questions please ask. Oh.... evenings require a lite sweater or jacket.

PS: the only minus is in the AM when housekeeping and I guess other visitors are moving around you can hear them. But for some reason today - Sunday- it wasn't so bad.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Clovis, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

The rooms were very clean and comfortable...all the comforts of home. The grounds were beautiful and well kept. Our room had a nice balcony which I would recommend, however...be careful....we got locked out on our patio due to a finicky door lock and had to holler to other guests to call staff to let us in!!! We took it in good humor, but just a word of caution if you go on the patio late at night! The staff was very friendly and helpful. In particular, the concierge gave great advice on recommending where to dine ( and they will be happy to make reservations for you) and which places to visit. The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle which takes you to downtown Napa in the evening between 5:30 and 10:30 ( about a 7 min drive)....a great ammenity if you feel like enjoying some wine over dinner instead of being the designated driver!!!! The location isn't directly in the heart of the valley , but it is only a short drive (about 8 minutes) to the beginning of the valley where all the wineries along highway 29 begin. Also, this is a hotel, but it also a time share type property. However, not once did we feel any pressure to buy them! We were only informed one time in an off-hand and casual manner that we were welcome to attend a session to learn more about those opportunities. We graciously declined and that was the end of it!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Palo Alto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

My Wife and I were looking for a place to take a break from all hustle and bustle of the city. We were searching for quite some time and found Vino Bello. It is perfectly nestled just outside of Napa next to a small business park. Don't let that put you off as it doesn't encroach at all in the ambiance of this wonderful resort. I liked the pictures of the room but they don't do it justice at all. We reserved a 1 bedroom condo and it felt much more like home then a hotel. Perfectly laid out and well appointed with all the high end ammenities. Easy drive to downtown and most of the vinyards around the area. Room service was fantastic and all the meals were no were close to over priced...suprisingly reasonable! No we experienced a fantastic value as we went off season. 5 days and 4 nights including room service every morning and one evening for $800. Expect to double this price if you go during prime season but we were extremely happy.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

This place was great for the price we paid ($95/night on priceline + a resort fee). It's a newer place, and had a nice walking trail througha vineyard where you can reach the "grape crusher" you can see from the highway. It is in a great location to visit both Napa and Sonoma. They were very friendly in the wine tasting cave, although it's not the greatest wine. Did not use the spa, but the concierge was very helpful when you could fine him.

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2009

Overall a great place to start your Napa visit. Although they initially fumbled the reservation, they quickly fixed the situation and upgraded me. The place was immaculate and I'm planning to send my parents to this hotel when they visit this Summer. My few issues were: 1) the wine they give you as part of the "hotel fee" was swill; 2) very little sound proofing (get a place a high floor); 3) stay away from the entrance doors (you will here everyone come in); 4) This option didn't come up on my initial search of Hotels.com...I found it some other round about way (yet it was still sold out during my stay). Just some thoughts from a very frequent traveller.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

The "resort" is in a corporate park. No kidding! From the balcony we could watch people going to work at the numerous plants and offices situated there. And after a day in the area, we met some of these folks as they left work. Weird.

The resort itself is a bit like an apartment building underserved by a single elevator. The cleaning staff blocked the narrow hallways throughout the day. The balcony was tiny. We were just happy that we insisted on a room WITH a balcony rather than the main floor room (and the tiny, very public concrete "pad") they wanted to put us in.

The one positive aspect: we chose NOT to sit through the presentation enticing visitors to buy into the vacation club.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

I threw a wedding shower in a room at this hotel two years ago. The location was right for the bride- she lives nearby in Napa. So, when it came time to throw her baby shower, it seemed right to pick the same place. Honestly, the first time around, I was sort of disappointed with the customer service I received on the phone-they couldn't find the reservation, they were argumentative. When I got there, it was beautiful and people were nice, but the experience was a little soured because of the phone service. The hotel was still very new at that point and they were working out kinks.

This time around, there was not one shortcoming. The rooms are BEAUTIFUL! The kitchen has everything you could hope for. The bathrooms are amazing. The living rooms are cozy. The dining table is homey and inviting and the bed is beyond comfortable. The little things- plenty of storage space, good lighting, an easy outlet in which to plug in the iron near an easy place to set the iron up- add up to be a big coup for this establishment. I could go on and on about the amenities, but, as wonderful as they are, the hotel's true strength is in their service.

Everyone was accommodating. When the shower invitation list exploded the week before the shower, they helped me find the space for everyone, at no additional cost to me. The honored my request for a first floor room with outside access, via the inviting patio. When I called at 10 a.m. and asked, "Is it possible for you to clean our room before 11?" The reply was, "I'd love to, but I personally can't. I will send housekeeping there right away." Everyone was happy and helpful and positive. They made eye contact and thought of small details.

I am a picky customer. It takes the planets to align for me not to find one thing wrong. They worked hard to make me happy, and I was beyond happy at this hotel. If you want to be surrounded by wineries, this is not one of those hotels. The location is a bit funky, on the outskirts of a corporate park, but it is not far from highway 29, one of the gateways to the wineries, and it is a good jumping off point for several area attractions. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. I think the experience is best summed up by the mom-to-be at my shower. She said, no less than 10 times at the shower, "I want to live here." It feels as comfortable as home, but with daily housekeeping service.

• Stayed March 2009

Been to Vino Bello Resort? Share your experiences!