“Very Classy” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 25 hotels in Napa
south florida
“Very Classy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

First off, I would never have picked this place under normal circumstances b/c it is so expensive. However, we booked this the night before we got there on priceline. We ended up getting it for $85 before taxes and their "resort fee". The resort fee covers the cost of the bottle of wine they put in the room, soda, and water. We were only there 1 night but helped ourselves to all the water, soda, and wine, so it seemed fair for the 20 dollars.
The room was very nice. How we got this one for $85 surprised me, but hey - we took it! This wasn't a suite, but it also wasn't a standard room. It had a nice deep tub, mini fridge, microwave, sink, toaster oven, balcony, washer, dryer, and VERY comfortable king bed. They also had a dvd library which we took advantage of. The decor was traditional tuscanny style and was very tasteful.
The concierge was very helpful, as was the front desk. The concierge showed us stuff to do and gave us some great info/savings brochures. The grounds were nice. I took advantage of the 24 hour work out room. The pools were heated and there were bbq's outside of each building. Our room had dishes and utensils, so it seems like a great stay for a family in one of the jr. suites or suites. I would recommend using the BBQ if staying for a while just to save some money.
The restaurant was expensive but not THAT bad (we were at a resort, afterall). It was our first time trying Kobe Beef - and it was DELICIOUS!! I think we paid $28 for the steak (that was a la carte - no side dishes) The pizza was enough for 2 people and only cost 12 bucks.
I'm used to spending 60 bucks at a holiday inn and getting the usual crap bed and cardboard towels. To stay here for $120 after all was said and done was amazing!
I probably wouldn't recommend this place if you were to book at full rate, (just cause I'm cheap) but if you get this place discounted, it's totally worth it. It was a nice little splurge for my husband and I. The vineyard around the hotel is nice, and you definitely feel safe. I think we had to use our room key 3 times before actually getting to our room door.
The only complaint I have is the bartender at The Cave. It is the little bar where you can go wine tasting. She ignored us from the get go. I'm not sure if she could tell we didn't belong there or what, but she only came by to give us our wine and our check. She was more than happy to converse with the other patrons - about the beach, directions, night life, wine, friends, clothes, etc...but with us, it was like we were lepers. That didn't make us enjoy our wine tasting experience very much. (b/c while she was yapping, our glasses were empty). I'm sure at least the others liked their experience better ;)
The location is definitely not as nice as some, it is smack in the middle of a business complex, but the amenities on the property more than made up for the location.
If I could get this room for the same price again, I would probably stay here next time. But if I could get a quaint B&B for the same price I would probably do that instead, just because I think it would ft the whole Napa Valley Feel that I was looking for a little better. And I would take their wine tasting tour instead of vising their bartender in the Cave. I think the tour included 4 wineries, with the shuttle from the resort and back again for an all day outing about $75. Maybe next time!

• Liked — The bed was amazing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

517 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2008

We booked a weekend stay at this Resort as it was labled a "4-Star Resort" and we were able to get a very attractive rate (for a 4-Star Resort) through Hotwire. We were aware of the additional approx. $20 resort fee as well.

The Vino Bello Resort is a nice place to stay, but I would certainly not call it 4-Star.

Our room: On the plus side, it did have a refirgerator; wet bar; and included bottled water, soda, and a bottle of wine. On the negative side, it was pretty narrow and not that big, the heating system was VERY loud (when it turned on it would wake us up). Further, the walls are VERY thin, as we were woken up by a neighbor's TV early one morning, and could hear a late-night conversation of another neighbor. Also, the Vino Bello rooms are an outside walk away from the main Meritage Resort area (which presumably are more expensive).

Amenities: We did not find the Concierge or front-desk very helpful (even for some simple direction advice). The attached restaurant has a very good breakfast. The workout facilities were OK and the wine-tasting appetiers are really just cheese and crackers. There was also a billing mix-up that has yet to be resolved -- but I don't know it that is the hotel's fault or hotwire's fault.

Location: The resort is located in a corporate/industrial area, not very close to any vinyards. So the views aren't that wonderful; however, you can get to the Silverado Trail and Napa proper pretty easily (much quicker than if your staying in Carneros or Sonoma).

Overall, we probably wouldn't stay here again. They claim it's a 4-star. The price we paid was about what you'd pay for a 3-star (or 3.5). And we felt it was actually a 3-star (or 2.5). It was an OK experience, but not up to the quality that they appear to represent.

• Liked — Cost, Convenience
  • Disliked — Room Quality, Amenities
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
La Conner, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2008

We stayed at this Shell Vacations timeshare type property off a discount we saw in the newspaper. We had a one bedroom and an adjoining studio. It was perfect for 2 couples. The $15/day resort fee was ok, but we didn't use most of it. The wine in the rooms was very drinkable and it was nice having 2 bottles of water to take on our travels through the valley each day.

We were happy to use the free shuttle to dinner on our second night. A short hop into to town. The concierge was most helpful with the reservations. We had dinner at the resort restaurant the first night. My advice, skip it, you can do much better and cheaper elsewhere. Two of us had the seafood risotto and it wasn't just not tasty, but tasted bad with a gruel-in-a-bowl presentation. One of us thought the scallops was good. Cost: $144 w/one bottle of wine.

The only complaint about the lodging was the lack of insulation in the ceiling. We had a 2nd floor unit and the upstairs sounds of walking and the bathtub draining were amazingly loud. We though a pipe must have burst in the wall. Try to get a top floor unit.

Otherwise, the place looked pretty much like the pics others have posted.

• Liked — That we could share a comfy living room and still have our private bedrooms.
  • Disliked — The lack of cieling insulation and the restaurant.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2007

We booked this hotel for a special birthday celebration and we could not have been more disappointed! With the hotel being newer and the previous reviews generally favorable, we took the chance and booked this hotel for the weekend. This hotel tops our list of hotels to NEVER return to again.

We went to our room and could not get the heat to kick on. The blower was working full speed and there was practically a gale through the space. We called for maintenance help and they didn't show (forgot us) and then finally came on the third call and were not able to fix the problem. We were so cold while we were waiting we thought we would brew some coffee to warm up and found the machine filthy along with two cups that had already been used by prior guests. The room in general was not very clean and maintenance had obviously been overlooked for a long time.

At this point we were moved to a second room and I can tell you that this one was not much better, but at least had some heat which is a good thing in December.

I would not recommend this place to anyone. There are many other choices in Napa that would be the same price and in much better condition.

Stayed December 2007
jruperto, Manager at Vino Bello Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2008
We are extremely sorry this guest had such an awful guest room experience with us at the Vino Bello Resort. We pride ourselves on having one of the newest and most modern resorts in Napa and are dissapointed we missed the mark completely for this guest with items not in working order. We will take steps necessary to evaluate the heating and cooling system in each guest room completely to make sure they are fully functioning. Our Engineeing department will put this function on a monthly schedule to ensure that our guests room systems are in order prior to renting. Our hope is to get another chance to show we care!

Regards,
Jose Ruperto, Rooms Division Manager
jruperto@themeritageresort.com
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Vino Bello on the advice of a colleague, who was organizing a function in Napa. We got a special rate for a junior suite for about $140, before tax. The rooms were huge, and very nicely furnished. The living room had a nice TV, sofa, gas fireplace, and a good-sized kitchen. The bedroom had very comfortable linens/pillows, and a nice jacuzzi in the bedroom itself. The bathroom was spacious, although we didn't care for the toiletries provided. The location of the hotel is in a corporate park south of town. While the vineyards nearby have only recently been planted, they should grow into a nice scene in 4-5 years or so. The architecture of the hotel itself is nice, with columns, big wood fireplace in the lobby, and nice Christmas decorations. The hotel does have a complimentary shuttle to take you into town. There is a mandatory resort fee which pretty much covers the 'free' bottle of wine and 'free' shuttle.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

Being from San Francisco, we have been to a lot of hotels and inns in the napa valley area and I definitely have my favorites. Some friends booked the Vino Bello resort online and we were planning on staying with them. I was at first skeptical due to the fact that I had never heard of it but they said it was a 4 star hotel so I thought we were safe.
I will say that the location stinks....it is not in a quaint, charming or picturesque part of the valley and is a 15 minute drive to yountville and surrounded by a corporate business park. However, if you do not mind that or the short drive and you want a really nice room complete with full kitchen, dining area, patio, separate bedroom, bathroom with huge shower and jacuzzi tub, this place is great. The facilities are all incredibly clean and almost feel polished. The people were all friendly and any requests were met on time. This is a great place to spend the day at the wineries and maybe have a nice lunch out and then return with your bottles of wine and have a relaxing evening eating and/or even cooking a great meal. The gas fireplace provided a ton of heat and would be wonderful in the winter.
Again, this is not; the ideal location in the valley like the Harvest Inn, but for the money, it is a nice alternative for a luxurious stay.

• Liked — the spacious room and huge kitchen
  • Disliked — the location
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
fort lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

We loved the place. It was as if we lived there. I would purchase one of these as a second home but not a timeshare. The room was perfect and brand new. It had all the accessories from home and I was kind of surprised of the quality. It wasn't cheap. Wine glasses were very nice, the towels were thick and soft, and there was even soap for washing clothes. It was home and at night, we went to the bar at the meritage. I am so hard to please and I normally stay at Carneros Inn but at 800 a night, I felt it was the best deal to stay here for only 239 a night. Great value, clean, fresh, and fun.

• Liked — new
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Vino Bello Resort? Share your experiences!