“Deserves a great review” 5 of 5 stars

The Meritage Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   875 Bordeaux Way, Napa, CA 94558   |
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Napa
Davis, California
“Deserves a great review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I have not yet stayed in one of the rooms here, but because we are getting married on the property in May, I have visited on many occasions, enjoyed the wine-tasting room and eaten at several of the eating spots. I live about 50 minutes away and visit Napa at least 3-5 times each year for fun. I do not understand why the Meritage's location gets bad reviews sometimes. I feel like this reviewers might not know Napa very well. Hardly any nice spot to stay in Napa is convenient to anything else. Napa is simply an area where driving is a must. One thing I love about this place as that when you walk into the lobby and pool area, you feel so relaxed. It is also nice that the pool is adult-only. That adds to the romantic get-away aspect of the resort. I hope that by the time our wedding rolls around any issues with housekeeping are cleared up. I know that the place has undergone a big renovation, and sometimes reorganization is needed when that happens. In sum, the staff has been very friendly to us and the resort is really beautiful. My friends from the bay area and Sacramento are really excited that we chose the Meritage as that will give them a good reason to spend the weekend at the resort.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestRelations M, Director of Sales at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear calitraveller15- It is a pleasure to read your thoughts on our resort. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. You certainly explained some amazing insight that will be helpful to other travelers. We are eagerly anticipating your wedding and absolutely honored you choose to celebrate your special day with us. You can rest-assure that any housekeeping challenges will and have been resolved. If at any point you have concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly. We look forward to welcoming your friends and family! Cheers to your wedding in May!

Director of Sales and Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

We had a a wonderful 3 day weekend at the Meritage Resort and Spa. Friday vintner dinner, Saturday cooking class lunch with participation and Meritage wines and Saturday evening, many appetizer food stations with wine tastings from many vintners and a wonderful Sunday brunch. You had many options to choose from, this is what we did.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear mmuzzi- Thank you very much for joining us for our much anticipated Masters and Makers weekend! I am extremely pleased to hear you enjoyed the entire event from beginning to end! We would love to invite you to many more experiences at our other Meritage Collection properties. Similar to Masters and Makers, each resort has authentically local, exciting events! Visit http://meritagecollectionevents.com/ for the selection of events. I appreciate your feedback and hope we can also welcome you back to Napa soon! Have a great rest of the week!

Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Our company chose this location recently and a few hundered of us enjoyed a week at the resort. As usual, we didn't get to dig into the Napa Valley, so 100% of our time was on property. After you check in and figure out where all the service areas are, it's totally self contained and super nice.
The rooms are beautiful, VERY well appointed with excellent quality surfaces and amenities. Felt more spacious that a regular hotel room, but I think that was just because the space was used well and the furnishings were top of the line. Bathroom was marble and travertine, large for two people, excellent for one person. Couldn't figure out where to hang a bath towel for the shower, maybe a hook or two somewhere? No worries, small detail.
The best part of the resort was the service staff and the food! Every meal was amazing, the staff were all friendly and always at the ready to make it happen. Our group really swarms: we all hit the food at one time and then we pile into the meeting rooms. They were always ready for us, had servers bringing drinks and clearing plates so we could get a delicious dessert or coffee before heading back into our business session. We all enjoyed every meal from 7AM till 11PM, quality, quantity and presentation were all 4 Star.
One night we met in the Crush Bar and played pool and used the very sweet bowling alleys! We ate dinner around the fireplace, bowled and had drinks. Then some of us went outside to sit around the fire pits, enjoying a California moonlit night.
Would I recommend this for a romantic getaway? Maybe. It's a good location to head into Napa. Plus I did stop in the Spa Terra and the Wine Cave and both were super nice. If I had a friend or partner, it would be a relaxing escape for sure.
Only complaint was they did not have a real gift shop. When you are so isolated with a group event, it would be nice to be able to grab simple snacks or sundries, a newspaper or magazine? But if you are on your own, with your car, that wouldn't be an issue.
All in all, very professionally run resort. Highly responsive staff. Never saw a sad face, only smiling happy people and that's what you want in a resort experience. Thanks for a great week!

Room Tip: Go for a vineyard view, not a lower parking lot space.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
GuestRelations M, Manager at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Shaggy53- We appreciate you taking the time to review our resort. I certainly remember your group and it was a pleasure to have each and every one of you! Thank you for all of your feedback and thoughts during your time with us. I will review your mention of both the towel hooks as well as the gift shop with the team. It is important to us that these things get noted! Thank you again for your time and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay. Helpful staff, lovely room with balcony overlooking vineyard. The location was a bit unexpected- near a light industrial area - so not the place if you are looking for quaint or super romantic. Convenient to wineries, Yountville etc. We had a discount deal with made it work for us.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GuestRelations M, Manager at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear Evie D- I appreciate your feedback on our resort. Thank you for your thoughts on our staff, your accommodations and our location. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. I hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back from Southern California in the near future!

Raleigh, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Not only was I disappointed, my wife was too. The Meritiage is 2 properties; a resort and a vacation club. I did not know this until our arrival. We were approached a few times during our first 15 minutes on the property to attend a breakfast or a lunch to learn about their vacation club. During our stay this was mentioned to us a few more times. We declined each time. We got the impression that the staff was partial to those in the vacation club than the resort guest.

Now the resort has great rooms and they are spacious. The fitness room is nice, but some of the equipment still does not work (I knew this from another review on Trip Advisor). The restaurant staff is amazing. We ate breakfast only and during a power outage the staff performed outstanding and made a difficult situation manageable and fun.

The hotel offers a great wine tasting tour. My wife made the reservation 3 weeks before our arrival. What is interesting that it took 3 different people to make the reservation. It seemed no one knew anything about the tour. We ran in to the same issue upon check in. The front desk person (who was great) and the Concierge did not know anything about it. After 4 hours the Concierge contacted my wife and provided a telephone number for her to call. The number given was to the hotel itself. We finally got the information we needed and we were set. The tour is great I recommend it if you stay at the resort. The tour takes you to 3 wineries, a picnic lunch and a driver (Joe did a fantastic job of giving us history of the area and took great care of the group).

So lets talk about the power outage on Super Bowl Sunday. The outage was because of an off site accident. The resort does not have a generator, which surprised me. The staff did not communicate well during the event and would not believe us when we told them our lights were out for the second time. The reason was that parts of the resort did have power. Could the resort of waived the resort fee for that day? They did not. The resort fee covers use of the fitness center, internet, parking and other amenities. I guess I could of asked for the fee to be waived, I didn't so maybe this one is on me. Oh one other thing the resort fee does not cover if you wanted to use the spa's whirlpool and sauna. That would of cost an additional $25. Resort fees you got to love them.

The lobby bar had power and a nice buffet for the game.

Crush is a sports bar, lounge and bowling center. The staff is very good and make you feel comfortable. If you want to bowl on Friday or Saturday nights and you are staying at the resort, you may not get a lane. There were parties both nights.

Overall it was an average stay and I would watch out if you are offered a free breakfast or lunch........

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GuestRelations M, Manager at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear travelforfun2009- Thank you for reaching out with regards to your recent stay at our resort. We are sincerely very sorry. We did indeed experience an area-wide power outage that affected many areas of our resort. We sincerely apologize that not only you were inconvenienced by the outage- but also the numerous occasions to which you received an overall negative impression of our resort. It is certainly not indicative of our service standards. I am reviewing all aspects of your review with our respective departments. Once again, please accept our apologies for your experience.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

The Spa Terra is just about perfect. I went up with some friends for a birthday celebration, and we loved hanging out in the "cave" spa. The relaxation room was beautiful with a wall-type water feature; the hot tub & steam room were perfectly designed and peaceful, and we all had great massages. Ask for Colette, she working out ever muscle knot in my neck & shoulders! I would highly recommend even a day trip just to spend 4-6 hours at the spa and pool. Our room was very well done also with beautiful views of the small vineyard on the property. We didn't get a chance to eat in the restaurant, but we did take a nice stroll through the vineyard the next morning.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for the 3rd floor rooms with the high ceilings facing the vineyard!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
GuestRelations M, Director of Sales at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Diane D- Thank you for visiting us from the Bay Area. It is always nice to welcome our friends from the San Francisco area! I appreciate your 5-star review of our resort. Thank you very much for your kind words on Spa Terra and other aspects of the resort - you mentioned some great features that other travelers will appreciate. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

My business partner and I needed a Bay Area-local place that felt like it was far away for a recent retreat for our company and the Meritage was fantastic! The rooms are beautiful and the property gorgeous, (you can walk in the vineyards which was amazing). We also treated ourselves to spa treatments which are not to be missed. Loved that you can park your car and just stay there, between the Crush bar, the cafe, the restaurant, spa, tasting room and beautiful grounds, you don't have to leave!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
GuestRelations M, Manager at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Hello Tarah- What a lovely review! Thank you kindly for your feedback during your time with us for your company retreat. It seems like you got a chance to experience every aspect of our resort! We appreciate the kind words and hope to welcome you back in the future. Perhaps your own vacation with family and/or friends! Have a great rest of the week.

Been to The Meritage Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!