“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 25 hotels in Napa
Tamaqua, Pennsylvania
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Meritage Resort and Spa for 4 nights in July. Our room was clean and beautiful, and the bathroom was nice. The toilet was in a separate little room in the bathroom, so that was a nice feature. The room was also quiet. I rarely saw anyone else in my hallway or heard any other guests throughout our stay. Our room overlooked the fireplace in the courtyard. We utilized this fireplace two nights during our stay, drinking a bottle of wine and relaxing on the cushioned chairs that we pulled in front of the fireplace. We had the fireplace to ourselves for most of both nights. It was very relaxing.

Our concierge, Creig, was very knowledgable. He gave us some great suggestions and multiple coupons for free tastings. All of the staff was very friendly. We passed multiple workers in hallways throughout the trip, and they always smiled and said hello. Little details like that matter and make you feel welcome.

The breakfast cafe, Blend, was also great. We ate there the first morning and had huge sandwiches and coffee. My ham and cheese croissant was out of this world. We at the Oxbow Public Market the next day and Gott's Roadside another, and, while they were good, the portions were small and extremely expensive. We returned to Blend our final day for the awesome sandwiches. I would definitely suggest trying it out. We also ate at Sienna, and both of us liked our meals. The only food complaint would be the pizza we ordered from room service. It was not very good and took almost 45 minutes. Also, as a previous reviewer mentioned, the room across the hall from us had a dirty room service tray outside their door for an extended amount of time. It started to smell quite unpleasant.

The adult pool was too crowded for the size of the resort, so we opted not to utilize it. However, a pool worker suggested we try the hot tub over in the newer section of the resort. She said not that many people realize it was there, as it is not on the resort map. After some walking around, we found it, and we utilized it without seeing another soul.

The location is also great. It is only 5-10 minutes from Napa. Yes, it is in an industrial park, but, you can not see the other buildings while you are at the resort. It is basically on the outskirts of the park. Don't let this detail deter you from staying. It really doesn't take anything away from the resort. I thought the property was beautiful and peaceful.

Finally, we did get a treatment at Spa Terra, and it was wonderfully relaxing. The spa could offer more facilities for the price (I am used to the Hershey Spa, so I was expecting a bit more in terms of hot tub/pool facilities). However, the facilities that they do have are very nice and clean. The steam room in the locker room was great, the attendant was super friendly, and the multiple-head shower was awesome. We enjoyed ourselves.

We would definitely consider staying at the Meritage again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony. We didn't have one and would have liked one.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MeritageHotelManager, Manager at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Many thanks for being our guest and for taking the time to share such kind words with us. We're thrilled to hear that you were able to take advantage of so many of our amenities, and that our outgoing team was able to provide you with such thoughtful guidance throughout your stay. We'd love to host you again soon, and we hope that you'll reach out the next time you return to the area!

832 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Rhinebeck, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This resort was a huge disappointment. Similar to a previous reviewer, we felt bamboozled as the resort's website was an inaccurate representation of the resort's quality. The fact that this hotel has 4 stars is laughable. We left early, it was that bad. Some highlights:

-The hotel caters more to large corporate groups and weddings so although we were hoping for a romantic retreat, we felt like we were trapped in a convention space

-the adult pool is way too small for the number of guests and it was difficult to get a place to sit, let alone any service from pool staff

-the food (crab sandwich, turkey Brie apple sandwich) sounded delicious, but was borderline inedible.

-the room was drab, no balcony, view of the fire pit, and the shower leaked through the tile onto the floor. It reminded me of a Days Inn on the highway. We requested to upgrade, but were informed that the large groups had already secured the nicer rooms. I noted that another couple celebrating their anniversary was trying to change rooms too so this seems to be a problem if you aren't booked in a big group.

-One of the female concierges was so rude and incompetent it was almost entertaining. Instead of booking us a dinner for Sat at 715, she booked us for Tuesday at 545 (a day that we weren't even in napa & we didn't find out until we got to the restaurant). In her defense, she seemed distracted by her attempts to sell us a time share to actually do concierge duties.

-the resort is in the middle of nowhere (industrial park with no napa ambience) and the shuttle system from the resort ends ridiculously early at 1045.

- if I had to do this again, I would stay at the W, which is within walking distance of downtown restaurants. Or at one of the Inns in Yountville.

This place was a disaster. Run, do not walk, away from making the same mistake we did

Room Tip: Request a 2nd floor balcony room with view of adult pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for being our guest and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm disheartened to hear of the many frustrations associated with your stay, as these are uncharacteristic of our more typical refinement. We'd love the opportunity to discuss these concerns with you, and we encourage you to reach out to Sam El-Rabaa, our Director of Operations, at your next earliest convenience: selrabaa@themeritageresort.com or 707-251-1913. Many thanks again for your time and review; we hope to speak more with you soon.
Westover, West Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The grounds were beautiful and I was looking forward to walking through the vineyards but they were closed for construction which was very disappointing. The spa was great! The room was clean and large however the closet door was broken. The balcony was nice but birds had built nest in both sides of the balcony and there was bird poop all over the walls. They told us we had free breakfast. When we went to eat it there they said it was valued at $40 per couple. The prices were so high that we still paid $20 for a basic breakfast. They tried to trick us into a timeshare sales pitch but we were only staying a 2 nights so we didn't go. The nightclub was nice however when we went to bed later that night we could hear the music booming through the floor. They had nice fireplaces outside to sit beside at night but they turned them off at 10 so by time we got ready to it by and relax they came around and turned them off. The staff was all friendly and very nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MeritageHotelManager, Manager at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thanks for being our guest and for taking the time to share your stay with us, Dawn. While I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and the hospitality of our kind and dedicated team, I'm sorry to hear that there were so many peaks and valleys to your visit. I will certainly pass your housekeeping and maintenance concerns along to our team, and we hope that you'll return again, post-renovation, to experience our continued growth and evolution: a product of guest feedback like yours. Thanks again for your time and review!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We booked a room with a king size bed, but when we arrived late that evening were told they didn't have one available until the next day. I had even called ahead to let them know we would have a late check in. Needless to say the stay started out frustratingly, but at least they were going to fix it. WRONG! The room they moved us to smelled like an overflowed toilet that wasn't cleaned well, and to make matters worse, when we removed our shoes we noticed the carpet in front of the bathroom was wet. DISGUSTING! I expected much better quality from a resort of this caliber, and at the minimum a clean room. At least the grounds were nice, although it didn't make up for the room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for being our guest and for taking the opportunity to share your experience with us, Tracy. While we pride ourselves on our generally unparalleled rooms and amenities, it's clear that we fell short of the mark during your stay. We'd love the opportunity to discuss these concerns with you, and we encourage you to reach out to Sam El-Rabaa, our Director of Operations, at your next earliest convenience: selrabaa@themeritageresort.com or 707-251-1913. Many thanks again for your time and review; we hope to speak more with you soon.
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We came here for a wedding and otherwise probably never would have stayed here.

this is a sprawling resort that is located outside of the town of Napa. The food available on
premise is fine, but nothing special, especially in comparison to the amazing cuisine that the Napa valley is known for.
The rooms are nice--at least in the "new" tower. (I heard reports that the rooms in the older part are considerably more worn and smelled bad) Our room, despite being new and nice enough was not styled in a way that appealed to me. There were a lot of Italian inspired swirly patterns: on the carpet, on the bedspread and pillows, the decorating draping behind the bed and on most of the light fixtures. It just wasn't my style, and even though it was nice it certainly wasn't luxurious.
In general though, I always favor walkability and smaller boutique hotels to massive all in one complexes. This place had a nightclub, a bowling alley, a wine cave, several restaurants and probably lots of other stuff that I never checked out , but the walk from the elevator to our room was annoyingly far.
The bottom line is that accommodations are perfectly fine and the service was good, but mega-hotel complexes outside of down don't appeal to me. Couple that with the $700 we spent on two nights and I'm certain to never return.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the new tower
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for being a guest of The Meritage Resort and for taking the time to share your stay with us. It's a pleasure to host first time visitors, and I'm sorry to hear that our facilities weren't in your preferred style. Still, we'd love to hear from you again, should you return to the area, and we wish you safe travels until then. Many thanks for your time and review.
Mission Viejo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Great front desk service upon arrival, aside from the sneak attack timeshare hard-sell disguised as a "complimentary gift".

There was someone else's room service trash outside our door when we arrived at our room.
It stayed there almost the entire time we were there.
I actually moved the tray away from our room into a more visible part of the hallway, expecting someone would take it. Instead, when we returned, the dirty tray was back in front of our room.

The room itself was very nice.
Large bathroom, very clean and up to date.

If you are solely looking for a room, the room was great.

We went to the hotel restaurant Sienna one night.
I definitely do not recommend it.
It was our biggest mistake of our trip.

In a town with phenomenal places to eat, the only thing that was close to any of the other places we ate in Napa was the pricing.
Service and food were very disappointing.

We really only needed the room, and the room was nice.

The time share sale, the trash in the hall way, and over-priced under-performing restaurant were the negatives.

We wouldn't stay again, but we didn't hate it.

Room Tip: Don't eat at the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for being a guest of The Meritage Resort and for taking the time to share your stay with us. While I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your room, I'm disheartened by the many atypical experiences you had while visiting our property. We'd love the opportunity to discuss these concerns with you, and we encourage you to reach out to Sam El-Rabaa, our Director of Operations, at your next earliest convenience: selrabaa@themeritageresort.com or 707-251-1913. Many thanks again for your time and review; we hope to speak more with you soon.
Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had the wonderful opportunity to stay at the Meritage Resort and Spa as a birthday present from my sister in Nov. Our trip was so amazing from start to finish. We had a beautiful view of the vineyards from our room and by the pool. We went for hikes right behind the hotel, sipped wine by the fire pit, had a massage in a wine cave that took me right back to Italy. We were centrally located to many wineries and great restaurants, and the resort even has a free shuttle to dinner! I had such a great experience, that I booked a room there again in March. This time w/ my boyfriend. Some friends had sent us champagne which was perfectly chilled and accompanied by nice stemware. During this trip, we got engaged and We took our bottle to the restaurant Siena and were treated like royalty. Our server Latasha was the epitome of "hospitality." The food was delicious and the staff were so accommodating. I highly recommend the Meritage!

Room Tip: I highly recommend booking a spa appointment. It's a short walk from your room to the cave!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for being a loyal guest of The Meritage Resort, Debbie. We're glad to hear that your experience brought you quickly back, and that we were able to lend our space to your engagement. It's an honor to be a part of such memories, and we hope to be there for many to come. Please be sure to reach out for future your future milestones; until then, we'll be anxious to see you again!

Been to The Meritage Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!