“The place to stay in Napa!” 5 of 5 stars

The Meritage Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   875 Bordeaux Way, Napa, CA 94558   |
Ranked #11 of 27 hotels in Napa
Las Vegas, Nevada
“The place to stay in Napa!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Quickie review for all of you "get to the point" types: Book now and thank me later.

Still with me? Okay, now on to my full review...

I was invited by Medallia to attend their annual users conference known as Medallia Best Practices Forum. This year (2013) it took place during the week of May 13 and was held at The Meritage Resort and Spa. Although I was born in Fairfield, California, mere minutes away from Napa, I was raised in Southern California and never really got to experience Napa in all of its splendor. As such, the idea of spending a couple of days in wine country was an exciting one!

Before I get into my experience at the resort itself, I'd like to first comment on The Meritage's social presence. Several days ahead of my trip, I decided to tweet (@RadleyMedina) about how much I was looking forward to visiting The Meritage as a Medallia BPF attendee. The Meritage responded with an expression of excitement of their own. I then became a "follower" of theirs, their 4,000th follower, to be exact. They immediately celebrated my followership with a tweet. Companies, especially hospitality companies, generally handle social media in a very cold manner. Lots of advertising and promotion pushing, but never any real engagement. The Meritage demonstrated that they get the customer-facing side of social media. Kudos to them!

When I arrived at the resort, it was later in the day...a touch past 6:00pm, I believe. I was welcomed by very friendly Front Services personnel, and I was checked in by an equally friendly Front Desk Agent. The interactions were reminiscent of the interactions I've had at better-known luxury hotels. Very nice indeed. Queue to key, the entire registration process lasted just a few minutes. Before I knew it, I was on my way to my room.

And, boy, what a room it was! I was given a one-bedroom condo! It had a washer, dryer, full kitchen (full-sized refrigerator with freezer, microwave, fully stocked cupboards, a stovetop with over, etc.), dining room, living room, oversized bathroom, shower with five shower heads, a jacuzzi, and a terrace! I tweeted out, "My room @meritageresort is superb," and The Meritage responded with, "Great! We made sure you'd be setup nicely. Tweet some pics while you're w us!" I guess you can say it paid to the their 4,000th Twitter follower!

Every staff member I came into contact with was excellent. If given the opportunity, I'd hire every single staffer I met. That's how good they were.

At any rate, most of my time at The Meritage was spent at a conference activity of some kind. Our welcome reception was held inside an onsite cave that houses a wine bar and the resort's spa. It's a great space that's perfect for receptions. Our conference sessions were held in a couple of the ballrooms. A/V was always on point, and the resort's meetings team did a great job setting up the aesthetics of the conference. And the banquets team did a superb job of feeding us high-quality food throughout.

A highlight of the conference, at least for me, was a networking activity wherein we were able to cook the resort's Executive Chef. We learned how to properly cook saffron risotto and crepes, all while having a seemingly endless supply of wine on-hand.

All in all, I'd highly recommend The Meritage to anyone who plans on spending time in Napa. A great place brought to life by great staff!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
MeritageHotelManager, Manager at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for an outstanding review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. Your attention to detail will certainly give our future guests an understanding of our property and what the area has to offer. It sounds like your room, meeting accommodations and overall experience were top notch. We aim to provide the same quality service to each and every guest that enters our doors. We hope that you'll join us again, and we look forward to your return to the Meritage Resort & Spa!

874 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Got a testcation package - great value with dinner and breakfast included. Location not the best but really unless you are going to focus on one area of Napa there is no perfect location. Rooms are clean and everything is nicely done but it's large resort and can seem a bit commercialized.

• Stayed May 2013
MeritageHotelManager, Manager at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for your review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Our location is centrally located to many different areas of wine country, and we are happy that you took advantage of it! We hope that you'll join us again soon for a dip in our pool or a bite at the Siena Restaurant. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Salinas, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This hotel is so overpriced. Do not spend more than $180, for a room and do not buy a package because the food is TERRIBLE!!!! Some of the service was good but overall the staff is not trained as well as you would expect for the price. We called down a couple of times and the desk clerk couldn't answer our question. One of the concieger had a snotty attitude, too.
The room was nice (sheets not high threadcount) although I paid for the deluxe room with the view which is supposed to be vineyards. There was a vineyard but right above the parking lot which is part of the view. The spa was nice and ok for the cost compared to other Napa spas. The hotel location is good but again, not worth the money. Had I paid less, a lot less, I would have been happy with what the hotel. NOT A GOOD VALUE!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MeritageHotelManager, Manager at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize if we were unable to live up to your expectations. We hope that you'll give us the opportunity to make it up to you. Please contact the Front Office to further discuss your experiences. We hope to hear from you soon, and look forward to the opportunity to serve you again!
Edmonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here very much. The service overall was quite good, I appreciated the response when I requested a different room from the one we were originally assigned- the person at the front desk didn't even bat an eye, but brought out the map to show me what other options were available and we switched with no problem. The property is spacious and well looked after, the guest room was very comfortable, and the setting in the middle of a vineyard is beautiful. They offer a helpful concierge service and a convenient shuttle into Napa so you can easily go into town for dinner, without worrying about driving/drinking/parking. The one thing we thought was missing was a small store of some kind where you could purchase items like snacks or toiletries. Otherwise, this was a very nice property, and we would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: avoid ground level facing the pool, you will feel less privacy with those rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for a wonderful review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We are glad that we could accommodate your request for a new room as well! Join us next time for a game of bowling in our Crush Ultra Lounge. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Meritage exceeded my high expectations! Though I was traveling alone, they provided many opportunities for socialization, such as the amazing fire pit (which I replicated at home upon my return)! The concierge was very helpful, and hooked me up with a great wine tour. All in all, every staff member I met was very thoughtful and helpful, the rooms were b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l, the service excellent, and the view, spa, and grounds amazing!

Room Tip: I enjoyed being in the new building.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for a terrific review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. It sounds like you truly took advantage of the amenities we have to offer here. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. Please join us again soon, we would love to see you!
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Meritage for a long weekend. The public areas are all nicely maintained. The location is kind of strange as it is in a corporate park area. We were told the room we got, king with a view of the vineyard, was a nice one. It was very average. There wasn't anything special about it. It was clean and there was nothing wrong with it. We planned on being out and around all weekend anyway, so it was fine. The pool was ok, nothing special as well. We weren't impressed by the cleaning service as we didn't get any towels when our room was cleaned and then waited and waited and called twice to get them. Overall, this is a value price for Napa and therefore not a bad choice, just don't expect anything exciting.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize if we were unable to live up to or exceed your expectations. We aim to provide the highest quality guest service to each and everyone of our guests! We hope that you'll give us another chance an join us for some wine tasting in the Trinitas Cellars or a Swedish Massage at the Spa Terra. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again, and we hope to see you soon!
Fresno, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I booked a special through Groupon, The room was a superior king with balcony but the room was very small and there was no tub which was very disappointed. We ordered breakfast in our room the following morning, They were late in arriving with our breakfast... to say the least the food was cold. Over all experience I give them a four.

Room Tip: rooms with balcony are a little bigger. call the hotel before arriving to make sure your room is res...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We apologize if we were unable to live up to your expectations. We hope to be able to make it up to your during a future stay. Please contact the Front Office to further explain the situations you encountered. We look forward to hearing from you, and the opportunity to make up for your past stay!

Been to The Meritage Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!