“Not a Great Discovery” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 27 Hotels in Napa
Calgary, AB, CANADA
“Not a Great Discovery”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

We stayed at the Discovery Inn one night during a four day bike tour through Napa and Sonoma Valley. I booked this place based on two fairly recent positive reviews on this site. The reviews neglected to mention that the Inn is located about 100 feet off the busy Silverado Trail and it sounds like traffic is running directly through your room. But, the room was clean. I would not stay here again- for a few dollars more, you can have a quieter, more pleasant stay in the town of Napa.

• Liked — Reasonable Room Rates
  • Disliked — Proximity to noisy highway
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2006

So much has already been written about this motel it is hard to think of something new and useful, but here goes!

If going to Napa, book your accommodation well in advance so that you do not have to stay in a place like this. Myself and my wife having motorcycled across the States we can confidently say that this was by far the worst accommodation we have had the misfortune to experience. After complaining about the room we were initially allotted the owner agreed to relocate us to a better room, which it was but not worth the $150 pn (more like $40) the excessive use of air freshner was also a little suspicious.

The owner seemed overly ambitious for me to write a review of his accommodation and when I read the other reviews I can understand why.

I suspect under the current management this motel's days are numbered and not before time.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2006

The Discovery Inn is by far the worst place to stay in Napa; I was forced to get a room there because we had failed to make reservations and everywhere else in the town was full(no exaggeration). The owner/manager was exceptionally rude, he actually told us (myself, my husband and my 6-month old son) that we better not have a party or he would call the cops. The room we were in (supposedly the largest available) was tiny, dark, far from inviting, and had this strange musty kind of smell. When my husband walked back up to the office to see about the crib that the owner said he would send to the room, the owner glared and told him that we should have brought our own and that they didn't have one. So my husband very politely asked for a few more blankets & pillows, and told the owner that our son could sleep on the bed with me and he would just sleep on the floor. The owner told him no, that he wouldn't give him any more, because more blankets would mean more people. We finally managed to get one of the "housekeepers" (I use the term very loosely) to give us a pillow and a blanket that looked like they belonged to a homeless shelter. Then we made the mistake of moving a nightstand so that my husband could sleep right along the edge of the bed that my son would be on, for extra safety, and to our extreme horror we found a half-empty bag of what looked like crystal meth, and some hypodermic needles. Needless to say, we left right then and there without even inquiring about getting our money back, and drove for 45 minutes to Solano County to find somewhere clean and decent to stay.

• Stayed July 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2005

I am 56 years old and have traveled extensively. Believe me when I say this was the WORST room I have ever stayed in. Upon entering the room it smelled like....... I’m not sure but it wasn't good. There was a half consumed paper cup of coffee someone had left on the bathroom windowsill, long black hairs stuck on the bath wall and grout that looked mostly black but was originally white silicone. It appeared that the cleaning person regularly swept everything under the beds (popcorn, etc). The sheets looked clean and it was late so I just folded down the disgusting bedspread, took a sleeping pill, curled up in the fetal position and went to sleep. Couldn’t quite bring myself to take a morning shower under the conditions so packed the car and left for home. I suggest you pay an extra $25.00 bucks and stay somewhere else!!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2005

This was the most disgusting motel room I have ever stayed in. There was gum stuck to the wall, mold on the walls, dirt and dust all over the window sills and heater vents, the table lamp was cracked down the middle, and the TV and remote control were a joke. The room was supposed to be non-smoking but reeked of smoke and mildew. This place was like staying in a third-world country- avoid it at all costs!

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2004

you want to pay over $100 to stay in a dark, dank, dirty room with a VERY noisy air conditioner/heater combo. I dropped an earring near the bed and was disgusted to see the dust bunnies and dead spiders underneath the bed. The manager asked an extra $10 for our well travelled dachshund to stay there, and then ran to check the room before we left, as if it could get any worse. To date our worst ever motel stay.

• Stayed May 2004

Been to Napa Discovery Inn? Share your experiences!